Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have to say this about Truck Driving Schools >

I have to say this about Truck Driving Schools

I have to say this about Truck Driving Schools

Old 12-08-2010, 03:35 PM

And we are now inter winter road conditions. The trainer will be teaching driving in if your currently going into this now, and a current trainee with a company. Besides how to properly load your for properly distribution in the van or possible flatbed, so you are not overweight on the axles. This may include pinwheeling your skids of product, which is having the forklift driver turn the skids before loading or maybe spacing the product. and securing. Will be learning the proper way to chain up , from minnimun to max chains on tires and where they are placed. This is your job to learn. Going from spokane,wa. to Illinois across I90 you will chain your butt off in bad weather. Soo many mountains to drive. The proper way to shift and down shift climbing and descending off those passes and the use of the jake brake and when not to use because the road is so bad. The proper techniques in shifting as to not miss your gear and have a runaway truck. Bad enough to have one on good road, bad in bad conditions. I love the road and the job. But safety is always first and always paying attention and being aware of your surrounding , what is going on with traffics conditions, and road conditions. It can be a fulfilling opportunity and job, but the key is always using the brain. Planning the trip to be ontime. visually observing , thinking the what ifs if things suddenly happen, am I ready for that unexpected driver move next to me. Safety caution, awareness and planning. More mental processes you will use, in the job. There's more to trucking then just steering the truck down the road. And every day even after 40 yrs for hubby he still learns something new everyday. Nothing happens twice the same way. Enjoy !! A receiver sent me 3 drawer file cabinets and 3 table tops they would have trashed. They are in great shape. Just a few scratches on cabinets,no dents, and the table tops are excellent, need legs.Their are perks to this job, and when you have the respect of your shippers and receivers , they will surprise you with unexpected gifts of produce, boxes of good quality meat, in this last case things toward my sewing room. I have even been given flats of strawberries and boxes and boxes of Ghiraldeli chocolates. Unfortunately some times I I was unable to get them home because of where I was! But able to have relatives in the area where I was come and get for themselves and find people who really need such as charities and food banks in the area!Even used Half a skits of boxed meat Steaks given to me by a shipper,for a motel room and 2 meals a day while waiting for load once for 2 days at a small truck stop with motel, in Illinois, while waiting for IBP to load the trailor with another load of meat.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:08 PM

Are you still driving? 2 years ago we figured hubby put 30,000 miles on his plow truck during the winter and never left the county. He always has stories to tell about what goes on on the freeways.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:18 PM

He is right . There are some really funny things and some that are just tragic to see.I just lost Mom in May after taking care of her 24/7 , and I am dealing with some severe depression issues at times. I had in past put in for disability due to health issues both physically and health wise but turned down. Tho I am currently taking meds including a heart med and a pill for diabeties and blood pressure, I can still meet and pass the requirements to drive. I am persuing at the moment my health issues and got my unemployment re-instated. I have some medicak issues that have not been tested or diagnosed. Inck=luding Parkinsons which I am actively having signs of, and Mom and her family had, and my 33 yr old diaughter has already been diagnosed. I am waiting for these tests and diagnoses before the decision to return to work driving. But I do keep up to date on the laws and need to get a physical for a current medical card. Nothing I am prescribed will disaqualify me, and passing will not be an issue. I would not however return to solo, as but will reteam with my hubby/ my almost 17 yr partner in life tho we are not married. My choice but see us together we are like any other man and wife. Too many past bad marriages. This works for us.He is 10yrs older and will be 62 this month. He is starting to have a little health issue but not anything close to mine. Fortunately should I have to return to driving we have 2 previous employers waiting for us to return as a team. Even with my break from driving, not an issue.Because he has continued to stay actively employed. If I reteam tho I will turn my case over to an attorney to fight for my disability and the 2 employers are aware I will be doing this.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:27 PM

I will have to go back to a 3 day orientation to re-certify for the company in company in Washington. Motel with 3 meals and paperwork and videos and tests. If we return to the company in southern California will will only do paperwork and be assigned a truck. The one in southern is a very small company and a Spin off of Points West Trucking that was sols off just before the owner passed away. The husband and wife who own this one worked for this man and in the office. And have kept alot of the same accounts going with their comapny Points West serviced!!
Old 12-09-2010, 02:32 PM

Well the board may delete for this A young man is blogging his days since going into a company after being hired on. It is in his own words and how he feels going thru training. It is called Orientation time and trainer by Trucker Dragon off the site ( the truckersreport.com ) I hope they will allow this so you can see what a new inexperienced driver goes thru and the feelings and mental thoughts as they go thru this. The thread can be found under new posts and so far about #10 down the first page of listings
Old 12-09-2010, 02:46 PM

OOOOPS after get thru quite a ways I now realize this is a young lady blogging the thread SORRY!!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by twistedsheets
OOOOPS after get thru quite a ways I now realize this is a young lady blogging the thread SORRY!!
OOOps apologize again, It is a young man. I was confused with the way they talk, and statements about missing their boyfriend. Finally it came out this is a young man . It is a very long thread and still reading it. Doesn't look at this point like they made it thru training, cause they did not do what others tried to explain to handle the situation. But I will keep reading!!