I HAVE TOMATOES

Old 05-05-2010, 04:49 PM

Last year I was given a topsy turvy and like you, I had lots of growth, flowers and baby tom's. I don't know why but before they were fully ripe, there were black, rotted areas on the tom's. Hope yours fare better and if anyone can tell me why this happened, I'd be eager to try it again! Its a cool idea!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Last year I was given a topsy turvy and like you, I had lots of growth, flowers and baby tom's. I don't know why but before they were fully ripe, there were black, rotted areas on the tom's. Hope yours fare better and if anyone can tell me why this happened, I'd be eager to try it again! Its a cool idea!
If you get black rotted areas on the Tomatoes then you are over watering them. I found that out the hard way one year. There is a fine line to hit when you grow them you have to have just enough water and fertilizer too much they rot, to little they wont produce.

Billy
Old 05-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Kitsie
If you get black rotted areas on the Tomatoes then you are over watering them. I found that out the hard way one year. There is a fine line to hit when you grow them you have to have just enough water and fertilizer too much they rot, to little they wont produce.

Billy
I wondered about that, but they really wilt in the topsy-turvy. Perhaps they get too much sun on the south side of the porch from early am to sundown. Could it be that?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Banned

Who knows but that might be part of it or it might have been a bad year for them. Tomatoes are a fickled fruit that the conditions have to be right for them to do great, but when they take off and produce you better be prepared to eat them for every meal!!

But the funny thing about my plants is that I have to plant one plant just for the green ones so I can fry them up. Otherwise we would never have ripe tomatoes around here!

Billy
Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Banned

Oh and I forgot to comment on the nice photos of your tomatoes!! In just a few more days it will be ready to fry!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 05-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Pam

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh and I forgot to comment on the nice photos of your tomatoes!! In just a few more days it will be ready to fry!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Yummm. Have 25 of those little beauties in the ground here!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by quilter2
Is that picture of your tomato planted in a Topsy Turvy?
Yes, That is the first one. Since I took that one, 9 more have developed and I know that at least 3 more are still growing in the blooms :D
Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
:thumbup: For you!!

But for me... :cry: This year will be the first time I don't have them, since I don't have a house or a yard anymore. Good thing there are farmer's markets.
you have something better.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Last year I ordered 3 off QVC, but had to have bilateral total knee replacements in July (so much pain I couldn't do anything outside). Hoping to get soil & get them planted in next few days with help of my Son & DGS. Hope my Green Thumb helps do the trick. I hope everyone's Topsy Turvy planters produce lots of tomatoes & save of lots of money at the market.

I'm also going to try the seeds Linda (laparshall) sent with the March Doll Quilt. I'm going to get bulbs & seed from the Nursery/Coop nearby to send her. She's in MI I think & we want to see if different plants do well in different regions of the Country. Wish us luck.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:38 AM

good luck. I hope your knee feels better