Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have the upper hand this time >

I have the upper hand this time

I have the upper hand this time

Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 PM

I glad that you can be there for your FIL. Your MIL sounds like a winner!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Pam

Originally Posted by raptureready
Sorry about your FIL and hope he gets better but remember, he's stayed with her all these years and he's used to the way she acts--good or bad. If she should suddenly change he may think he's dying. A friend of mine had a very bad bout with cancer two years ago and has since told me, "I knew I was going to be all right because you never babied me. You ragged at me, joked with me just like always and that let me know that you knew I was going to be okay." (In reality I was scared that she was going to die but I couldn't let myself show it.)
He's her rock, the person that keeps her stable, she's in a panic because he's really sick and she doesn't know what to do. That's why she's letting you take over and make the decisions. She probably can't change and when you think about it, being so insecure and being trapped by an all consuming desire to constantly be the center of attention is a horrible way to have to live.
Help him, pity her and pray that your FIL gets better because she'll fall apart without him and guess who will be left to deal with her......

BTW, she sounds just like my first MIL and that was one witch of a woman. Good luck.
Rapture, I fear that I will never be as kind as you. Bless your heart.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Sorry about your FIL and hope he gets better but remember, he's stayed with her all these years and he's used to the way she acts--good or bad. If she should suddenly change he may think he's dying. A friend of mine had a very bad bout with cancer two years ago and has since told me, "I knew I was going to be all right because you never babied me. You ragged at me, joked with me just like always and that let me know that you knew I was going to be okay." (In reality I was scared that she was going to die but I couldn't let myself show it.)
He's her rock, the person that keeps her stable, she's in a panic because he's really sick and she doesn't know what to do. That's why she's letting you take over and make the decisions. She probably can't change and when you think about it, being so insecure and being trapped by an all consuming desire to constantly be the center of attention is a horrible way to have to live.
Help him, pity her and pray that your FIL gets better because she'll fall apart without him and guess who will be left to deal with her......

BTW, she sounds just like my first MIL and that was one witch of a woman. Good luck.
You are very right and for years I have wonder why he stays, but he does. I know I can not change anything but at least this time it was a lot smoother. My FIL has poor health. he has survived cancer twice, had multiple surgeries today we (DD and I) were teasing him about sewing a zipper to his abdomen so he is in no pain the next time he has one), suffers from vertigo and I believe he has reumathoid arthritis, but at the VA they say is oateoarthritis. I guess they are the ones with the MD degree. Usually when he is sick she blows everything out of proportion, calls everyone and makes my husband drive across the state to find him sick, but never as bad as she describes it.

She probably has some problems herself, but nothing medical. My son said one day that she behaves like she had a NYC roach crawl into her head and is running all over. He was ten and came up with this all by himself. My perfect child.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Banned

Here in the south we have ways of dealing with unruly folks like that.

I was in Linden TN which is a VERY small town near my property in Middle TN. It has a post office, a grocery store and a few mom and pop stores in the square and thats it. I was in the Food Giant and there was a MIL and the DIL arguing about some food that she was going to feed her son. Well after 30 minutes of shopping and ribbing, they went through the checkout and walked outside. We went through the line and when we walked out side they were screaming at each other and then all of the sudden the DIL decked the MIL and it was on!!!!

The police headquarters and courthouse is across the street and the few officers that were out there was just watching them beat the living crap out of themselves. One of the officers came over and told my wife and I that these two are always at each others throats and this was normal for them. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After 10 minutes or so the cops broke them up and told them they needed to go home and settle down.

Then the same day we were going home from our property and there was a fight on the side of the road between two women and one guy, and the guy was loosing bad!!! My wife and I looked at each other and I said "you sure we want to live up here?"

So maybe you need to take MIL out in the back yard and give her an attitude adjustment. Then she might think twice before she opens her pie hole!!

Billy
Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Pam

Billy, billy. billy. If you could beat the crap out of every dog that came along all you would be is a dumb pit bull.

I have NO idea what that means, it just came to me.

Guess right about now I should be glad that I am fat, fairly limber and have had military training. Life is looking up for me.....thanks!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pam
Billy, billy. billy. If you could beat the crap out of every dog that came along all you would be is a dumb pit bull.

I have NO idea what that means, it just came to me.
They are words of wisdom!! I try to steer away from violence I am to old for all of that. What is the saying "Make Love not War", thats my motto!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 05-06-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pam

Rapture, I fear that I will never be as kind as you. Bless your heart.
Kind???!!!?!?!? I'm always telling my own DH to be nice because I'm the one that's going to pick out his nursing home. LOL
No, I had an aunt that was like this woman sounds and my ex MIL too. It was so frustrating to have to deal with these people and one day I realized that I was lucky--I could walk away--they were stuck and wandering around lost in their own insecurities. That's when I quit getting mad and started to feel sorry for them. Of course I didn't feel sorry enough to cut them any slack but I didn't get mad which was better for my own health. :thumbup: ;)