Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I KNOW.... nobody on this board needs this, but it couldn't hurt!!

I KNOW.... nobody on this board needs this, but it couldn't hurt!!

Those are good....There are a couple of those that I mix up when I am writing...thanks

These are great..... Thanks for the link NUBQ! Sometimes it's hard to understand the meaning of a persons written reply if the sentence is using the wrong spelling of a word, but if I read on most of the time I can "figure it out".
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    It's good to be reminded. Some of these in this article are ones that aren't commonly used and when they are often misused. Thanks for sharing.

I taught sophomore English for more years than I sometime care to remember. Guess what? Almost all of my students had difficulty with these words back then. I sometimes think that I am the only one who cares anymore about "proper" grammar and syntax. It is good to see that there are those out in the world who still do care.
    Sometimes I try to act "normal," but it gets boring so I just go back to being myself.

Another common mistake I hear spoken is seen or saw. It is "I saw the car go by" or "I have seen that car many times." Not "I seen the car go by."
    Last edited by Mollie'sMom; 06-01-2014 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom View Post
    Another common mistake I hear spoken is seen or saw. It is "I saw the car go by" or "I have seen that car many times." Not "I seen the car go by."
    Groan ... I hear that one a lot. Makes me shudder.
    Another one...very commonly used (even by educated speakers) but wrong nevertheless...the use of I instead of me. "My parents left everything to my husband and I." It all depends on the word "to". To me...to I...which sounds right? To me, of course.
    Now reverse the sentence and you would say "My husband and l received everything"...etc. etc. NOT me.
    Last edited by GrammieJan; 06-01-2014 at 05:15 AM.

I can't stand 'these ones'. It's 'this one', or 'these'. Not "these ones". I keep telling my girls, the only time you should ever say these ones together is when holding a pile of one dollar bills, you could say" I got these ones from the bank."

What is so sad, the majority of the college graduates do not know grammar rules. I discovered this in the new hires when I was still working. They were letting spell/grammar checks do all the corrections.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I was in on an interview for a job when the candidate used a word in the wrong context. She did not get the job because of that mistake. She was young and used the word the way she would with her friends. College grad too.
    Marilyn

Us "oldies" appreciate the correct English. The younger kids, not so much. Unfortunately, testing isn't helping. I sent this article to my 50 yr. old son that is doing a resume.....He's pretty well informed, but like so many has fallen prey to "spelling check".....thanks for sharing this......

Thanks for this. I'll share it with friends. My bugaboos are further/farther and imply/infer. Love having these reminders.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

...how about.." Oh, this is so fun! Instead of " oh this is so much fun!

Blog Entries
    I wish we could send this to the talking heads on the TV news shows. We would need to include the rules for me, myself, and I. Another one that makes me grit my teeth is "funner".

My pet peeve is when newscasters say a word different than how it has been said for the last umpteenth years and if you look it up in the dictionary, they are saying it incorrect. Is this just to get your attention or what?

All of those were great, and yes, used incorrectly quite often.

One of my pet peeves is people who say "irregardless".

And one in the area of pronunciation ... height spoken with a th at the end.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Excellent article

Quote Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom View Post
    My son grew up knowing how to use seen and saw, but his good habits have gone by the wayside since his wife used it the other way. Sigh! I have heard that this "I seen" thing is much more prevalent in the Midwest; and even specific to central Wisconsin. I'm surprised to see it from Georgia.
    My hypothesis is that they hear "I've seen" and didn't hear the "v". Irks me every time.

Really loved this post. But I think the sentence for the definition for illicit is incorrect. The sentence says to "illicit a response" I think a more correct way to say it would be to "elicit an illicit response". Elicit is to draw it out, and Illicit is something unlawful. Am I right?
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the refresher course. I think that the way our young people write and talk is atrocious. To add insult to injury, so many people get mad when they are corrected. It is a habit for me to read communications with an eye to how things are being said. It must be the 15+ years spent in education - and I still make some of the mistakes in the article - I had an effect/affect moment this evening before I read this and I had to look it up - it's always the one rule that gets me - you would think I would remember it since I always have to look it up.

just what am I to infer from your suggestion???? (Just joking) - I live in a district which has quaint grammatical and lexical mistakes in its speech patterns - so much so that I can spot someone from the area just by listeninf to the tag: "..and so it is" or ..."as you do". However, the two that mak me cringe are, "I seen it before..." and when talking to a group. "Are yous going to the dance tonight?" Language is a living thing I guess - we don't speak Middle English any more.Many thanks for your post.

My bugaboo is "anyways". When did the "s" get tacked on that one? and, why?
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Blog Entries
    Very good article, I plan to pass it on. While we are on the subject- how about spelling errors! 'congradulations' grrr, 'there and their' oh my.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When I was up north last year, my son's girlfriend was telling us how she "seed" a few deer in their backyard the day before. My son got "As" in English. He tried to correct her by saying in a low toned voice that she "saw" the deer. Seed is a small grain to plant and grow. She got very upset but he was right. She continued her bad grammar usage. Some things you just can't fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    My son grew up knowing how to use seen and saw, but his good habits have gone by the wayside since his wife used it the other way. Sigh! I have heard that this "I seen" thing is much more prevalent in the Midwest; and even specific to central Wisconsin. I'm surprised to see it from Georgia.
    My hypothesis is that they hear "I've seen" and didn't hear the "v". Irks me every time.

Really loved this post. But I think the sentence for the definition for illicit is incorrect. The sentence says to "illicit a response" I think a more correct way to say it would be to "elicit an illicit response". Elicit is to draw it out, and Illicit is something unlawful. Am I right?

Power Poster
    "Seed" does seem like a logical past tense for "see" - even though I cringe when I hear it.

The ones that I still have trouble with are "lie" and "lay" . "Lie" - as in an untruth, I get.

"Except and accept" - I've seen this more often than I wanted to: "I except PayPal"
    "If you agree to this ___, you've excepted the terms and conditions ...."

And I still don't know where to put the second quotation mark(s?) -

Quote Originally Posted by youngduncan View Post
    I taught sophomore English for more years than I sometime care to remember. Guess what? Almost all of my students had difficulty with these words back then. I sometimes think that I am the only one who cares anymore about "proper" grammar and syntax. It is good to see that there are those out in the world who still do care.
    Me, too. Can't stand to see a grammar, spelling, or this type of error in anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast