Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I need help with quilt laundry question >

I need help with quilt laundry question

I need help with quilt laundry question

Old 10-01-2011, 03:21 PM

I recently purchased a king size bed cover at Goodwill. Tags say it is made by Wamsutta and to Dry Clean Only, Tags also say contents are "All new material consistering of l00% polyester fiber batting, filling l00% polyester, face l00% cotton, back l00% cotton." Size is ll0" by 96".
There was one stain on it and I spot cleaned it and got it out.
Now for the question. I paid $5.00 for it and I am really, really cheap. I don't want to pay a fortune to have it dry cleaned. What do you think the chances of ruining it are if I put it in the washing machine to wash it?
I have the new type washing machine without the aggatator so there is plenty of room. If it goes flat, I have tennis balls for the dryer. What do you all think? What am I not thinking of. Can you help me think this through before I do anything?
thanks for your help.
doglover.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:26 PM

I would wash it in cold water with very little agitation and then hang it outside to dry. I have done this before and used woolite.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Well............I wouldn't want to use it if it couldn't be laundered so I'd cool water soak it a while with your soap of choice, wash as gently as possible, stop the washer as soon as the water drains and arrange the quilt evenly before the rinse cycle and repeat the repositioning before the spin cycle. Good luck, whatever you decide to do, with your 'find'.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Cyn

I have washed these before and never had a problem except maybe it's a little wrinkly once done! I hang mine outside when I can cause I like the smell :)
Old 10-01-2011, 03:37 PM
bkb

I would wash it in cold water delicate cycle and line dry it . It could shrink in the dryer or use air fluff with no heat.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:37 PM

Don't see any reason to dry clean
Old 10-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

i would wash it -- i would also toss it into the dryer and dry it-
hanging king sized quilts when wet can cause the quilting threads to break from the weight-
it is recommended to either dry them in a dryer or lay them flat to dry- but from the sounds of it there really is no reason to not be able to wash and dry it.
you might want to use a low-heat setting on the dryer- i'm never that (cautious) with my quilts i wash and dry them all the time....i do take them out of the dryer- give them a shake and put them back about every 20 minutes otherwise they wrap all up and don't get dry.. but that is as special as i get. i also use a regular cycle- warm water and laundry detergent when i wash them- even the silk and wool quilts - i've never had anything bad happen from washing my quilts...and treating them as if they are any other bedding item i own.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

I agree
Old 10-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

I also agree- as long as you do a low setting to dry it I really don't think you'll have a problem.
I love hanging things out but we've had so much rain lately. I don't even worry about threads breaking or anything.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:29 PM

Sounds like everything is all cotton or poly other than
some shrinking and wrinkling I would wash in cool water and throw in dryer with the tennis balls. Good Luck