Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I think I have found my calling (no pun intended!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
    My husband use to just love the tele-marketers. He would say he was so glad they called, hadn't talked to anyone all day, where the call was from and did they know so and so that lives there on Cedar. (Every town has a Cedar street). After a while of constant babble he would let them tell him about the sell and then he would ask what part of the welfare check did it come from.
    LOL
    Guess it all comes down to whether you have the time. I let the answering machine get most, and if they don't leave a message, then they didn't want to talk to ME.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Luckily with my cell, everyone I know is on caller id. We don't have a residential phone. I have blocked some of the numbers but still recognize the numbers and let it go to v-mail. I got tired of having to check my messages on the resi phone and so we got rid of it. Saved us about $75.00 a month. my husband never leaves a message but I can see missed calls so I just call them back. DNC never worked for me. they always get around it. They just use another line.

I once asked a telemarketer for their name, phone number and address. When they said they could not give me that information I said it only seemed fair as they knew mine. then I hung up. I'm with all of you who use the answering machine, number ID on cell, etc. I just do not want to hear bout prostate cancer, hearing aids or pre-planned funerals while eating my supper.Keep on with the do not call preventives often.

Blog Entries
    I have registered on the DNC dozens of times through the years and still get them. When you tell them you are on the list and then ask what the Company name is they hang up and never call again. I did not know they could be fined but apparently they do. But as soon as I get rid of one 2 more take its place. It's an annoying cycle.

Blog Entries
    we were being inundated with calls even though we were on the list. I finally got busy and put complaints on all calls. Every time. They have almost stopped now. About time!!! got one yesterday I need to report too. some are charity calls but I don't care. harassment is harassment!!!! 12 calls a day is too many!!! report them. it does help.

amh
    I am of the opinion that the people calling are just making a living. I stay on the line and ask them to take my name off the calling list. It seems to be helping.

We have many callers from out of country, so I ask to speak to someone in my own country, and ask them to take my name off the list.

If there is any hesitation, I ask them for their home phone number and the home phone number of their supervisor. They usually ask why, so I explain that I'd like their number so I can invade into their personal life.

Slowly but surely the number of calls are diminishing.

I also rarely answer 1-800 numbers. I too am of the belief that if it is urgent they will leave a message.

amh
    Aileen
    Saskatoon SK Canada

Blog Entries
    I don't subscribe to caller-ID so I don't know who is on the line until I pick up. I usually stop the caller and just say I'm not interested but thanks for calling and hang up. I find it very hard to be rude to people even if they are bothering me but I rarely receive return calls from any that I've used that method on.

We also don't have caller ID on our land line. I answer the phone but if someone doesn't reply right away, I hang up. I have to answer this line due to my mother's life alert and several people only know how to get a hold of us using this line.
    Sharyl

If you get a recorded message when you answer the phone, that is a Robocall. The best thing to do with them is just hang up and report them to ftc.gov. Telemarketing calls are a little different. I had heard that being on the do not call list expired after a certain amount of time and you had to do it again, but not sure about that. If you answer and there is a pause before someone comes on the line, that means that they are on a dialer system - their dialer just keeps dialing numbers until it detects someone answering the phone. If you don't answer, a message is not left, the dialer just keeps doing its job and moving onto other numbers. It's irritating that the phone rings though. I just want to be left alone!

Quote Originally Posted by omacookie View Post
    I ignore ALL 800 numbers ! If they cannot leave a name and number then I do not want to hear their recording. Hugs PS Thats what answering machines are for.
    This is also what I do to any caller, if there is no name to the number or no number I just don't answer.
    I don't know them or their name would show up.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    We had a mortgage company that used to continue to call not matter how many times I told them to stop. Finally one day I just started screaming at the top of my lungs until they hung up. They never called again. Then I had another company that continued to call trying to sell me something and refused to stop. I finally told them yes, I wanted it all. The woman was so amazed and excited that she was making a sell. She said you want it all. I told her yes, that I was in the process of filing bankruptcy and I could get their stuff and add them to the list of companies that I didn't have to pay. She hung up and then they never did call back. I can understand the need to sell and do their job but really. When someone tells you to stop calling they should. The problem with the do not call list, some solicitors are classified as tele marketing and they can do what they want. I now hate voting time, my phone rings 24/7 with calls from computers trying to vote thier way. You can't even tell them what to do with themselves. Its crazy. As far as the mortgage company, I had even told them I'd never trust my house with a company that not only had to solicit to get customers they also had no respect for the ones who said "dont call again".
    Judy

Thank you for the registration number! I am forever grateful.

I'm pretty sure you have to re-register for Do Not Call every 5 yrs....at least that was so when I originally signed up. I love to ask them "Are you aware that I am on the Federal DNC list and also on my state's DNC list.?" They can't seem to hang up fast enough, and most will say "I'm sorry" before doing so. But most of the calls now come from outside USA via patches that can jump 2 or 3 times--there is no way to track them down, nor could FCC prosecute. I've recorded a message that "we are not taking calls at this time. Leave a message if you want your call returned." Of course there is never a message, unless it's a political call. When that season is upon us, I record, "If this is a political call & you use my answering machine for your message, you can be assured that you will not get a vote from this household!" I've had spiels that lasted so long it filled up my machine, and we'd return from vacation to this drivel.

The Do Not Call list is a huge joke, in my opinion. It does NOT work to keep the calls away and it never has! I rely on my answering machine and my Caller ID - I pick up no calls unless I know who it is. There is some company that calls my machine EVERY SINGLE DAY and hangs up, then the phone line goes back to the dial tone and that "Do you want to make a call" message comes on. Every day, I find at least one of those calls on my machine when I get home. Can you tell that I find this very IRRITATING! It doesn't matter about the fines, these companies have a million phone numbers and they can't be caught.

My stepson used to say the funniest things. He would answer and say to them: We just had a terrible storm and our house blew away but the phone is working. Isn't it amazing the phone is still here and you are on the other line ? He would go on and on and the people actually believed him. I have no idea why, but we don't get any calls at all. We have been on the list for years, maybe that's it.

What I find really annoying is the calls to our business # which we have had for a good long while (more than 6 years). The most frequent is some collection agency calling to reach a person who does not work for us and we have only heard of them from the calls that we get periodically. Apparently the bad debt is sold to a new agency every so often and each time we have to tell them again that this is not and to our knowledge never has been the # for those people. I've asked them to make a notation on the list that it is not the right # but that only seems to work for a couple months. As it is a business phone we answer all calls plus we do not have a caller ID option on our equipment.

Thank you so much for the site address for Do Not Call. I like everyone else get these annoying calls. If I don't recognize the phone # or person, I don't answer. Now in 31 days the Do Not Call will kick in and that annoyance will cease.

A tele-marketer made the mistake one time of telling me that if the computer that calls reaches a answering machine, it will hang up. So, I just let the machine pick up and if it's a family member or friend, I hear the voice and answer the phone. Now, I've switched to Directv.,and when the phone rings,the Directv receiver tells me who's calling and the phone number. So, if it's a unfamilar number, I just let it go to machine.

Blog Entries
    i re loaded our info on the 'do not call' list. and it's been about 30 days, and they have quit. you have to reload on the 'do not call' every now and then. i do believe.

dd
    I just checked to make sure but the site says your registration does not expire. I have all the cells and home # on there. We only get donation calls but that's still annoying. They don't have to comply since they aren't selling anything.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

[QUOTE=Roberta;6065378]I don't subscribe to caller-ID so I don't know who is on the line until I pick up. I usually stop the caller and just say I'm not interested but thanks for calling and hang up. I find it very hard to be rude to people even if they are bothering me but I rarely receive return calls from any that I've used that method on.[/QUOTE

I also find it hard to be rude Roberta, and say I''m on the "do not ring" list and this seems to placate the callers,
    Darlene

I let all my calls go on the answering machine. At the end of the day I can call who I want or push delete.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
    My husband use to just love the tele-marketers. He would say he was so glad they called, hadn't talked to anyone all day, where the call was from and did they know so and so that lives there on Cedar. (Every town has a Cedar street). After a while of constant babble he would let them tell him about the sell and then he would ask what part of the welfare check did it come from.

Love it! I have noticed I am now starting to get these calls on my cell phone-exactly why I got rid of my line land .
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Charities, political organizations, and poles are not subject to the do not call rules. If one of them gets through I tell them we are on the Do not call list and believe that they should be subject to the same rules as anyone else who wants something from us. Then I hang up. I stopped donating to my college because they used to call every year in early April and I worked in taxes. I did warn them that if they called again they would get nothing from me.

I was getting calls from a home improvement company. They had talked to DH once and we were actually in the market for a new roof, so he said come on out. The guy was very high pressure and quoted a price more than twice as high as another local company. I wound up doing the roof myself, but they kept calling every few months. I told them I did not appreciate the high price, high pressure sales techniques.

Finally I told them if they were the last company on earth, I would not do business with them. They stopped calling after that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast