Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I would like to find a simple serger >

I would like to find a simple serger

I would like to find a simple serger

Old 12-11-2017, 11:24 AM

I had an older Hobbylck but if it came unthreaded I could either spend 5 minutes or and hour rethreading. Finally it was having issues and I replaced it with a Babylock Evolutuin air threading...LOVE IT. I even change the thread to match what I'm working on!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:26 AM

I have a Husqvarna 4 thread serger that I found at St. Vinnie’s, for less than $100. I bought a manual online, dug out bent tip forceps for threading (I have short stubby fingers, think skinny catchers mitt, lol.), and it took me (with brain damage) about an hour to learn to thread and sew with it. The only problem I have now is remembering (did I mention brain damage?) to put the thread tree back in the up position, before I try to sew with it. The choice seems to be leave it up to avoid the problem, or learn to thread it every time I want to use it. The cover I am making for it will go over the thread trees in the up position...lol.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:21 PM

I have the brother 1034D. I ordered it from Amazon and it comes with a CD that shows many things. The threading on it is easier than on some, altho it doesn't do it for you! I find it does not do "heavy duty" like the older, more expensive sergers, but it does everything I've wanted it to do.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
I thank you all for this input -- I suspect what I need (for my limited patience and brainpower) is a higher end machine that does way more than I need, but helps me more to do it. Make sense? I just don't want to pay what it's worth.

All I think I want to do is finish raw edges, on clothing or crafting items. Long ago I was content with zig zag, but on knits that is ugly, and not really a solution.
I don't understand sergers, so can't help you there.
Maybe you are like me -- want the edges finished, but could be satisfied with your regular machine.

Take a look at the stitches your machine does, and the foot required ..... mine does a couple of stitches like a serger does. Yes, I need a special foot for it, but it does the trick.

Maybe it would be best to visit your dealer and discuss the pros and cons of both approaches and let them show you what your machine could do, to maybe make it that you only need to buy a new foot (and maybe you already have the foot?).
Old 12-11-2017, 03:01 PM

I have the Brother 1034D and love it. So easy to use and thread.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:49 PM

Have had my "Bernette for Bernina" Fun Lock - 004-D for some 30+ years and love it! Does everything I ask. Learned the secret of tying threads to re-thread and the rest is history.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

I also have a Brother 1034 D. I found a video tutorial on threading and how to adjust for rolled hems. I can thread it and I have not had any problems with it. I've used it on quilting cotton, fleece, and apparel fabric.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:48 PM

I have a Huskylock 3 spool serger. I only wanted to finish edges on seams & hems when I was sewing garments. I also rethreaded once & then tied threads together to do it. Never had a problem with that.