Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ideas for children to make and sell for charity? >

Ideas for children to make and sell for charity?

Ideas for children to make and sell for charity?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

The pencil toppers are cute with a strip of long fur (fur fabric ) glued to the metal ring around the pencil end and 2 small plastic eyes glued on the seam. You roll the pencil quickly between your palms and the hair flies out making it look like Einstein on a bad hair day.
The clothespin fridge butterfly is another cute project. The butterfly outline is cut from pretty wallpaper or fabric. The shape is gathered on a pipe cleaner threaded through the metal spring in the clothes pin. The ends of the pipe cleaner are curled up for the antenaes and a small magnet is glue to the clothespin for sticking on the fridge. They are cute to hold art work on the fridge with.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:55 PM

These are images, but you can find the instructions for origami balls to be used as ornaments. If they use old greeting cards for the balls, it helps make it cheaper too.

http://www.google.com/search?q=origa...w&ved=0CEcQsAQ

Cross stitch paper use to be available...we made bookmarkers, frig magnets and ornaments on the stiff paper. Here's a links for some free designs too
http://www.better-cross-stitch-patte...-patterns.html

Amish puzzle balls http://www.wikihow.com/Sew-an-Amish-Puzzle-Ball

Note cards decorated with simple fabric designs ... similar to scrapbook decorations but with fabric and ribbons.

We made frig magnets by tracing cookie cutters on thick posterboard and decorating the cutouts. Attach magnet on back.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:40 PM

For the boys, my daughter suggested making items with comic characters, game characters, sports and if you have a sports team like the NFL, NBA or MLB (even a local college) use that also.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:14 PM

I've got a pattern for a small drawsting backpack. Takes 2 fat quarters of fabric. It's pretty easy. I have it in a PDF file. Don't remember where I go it

Found it!!!
http://www.wendacoburn.com/wendasbackpack.pdf
I make these in bright colors to match quilts I make for K.A.R.E. a program that works with kids in the NC mountains
Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 PM

How about making little yo-yos and gluing pins on the back! Or attaching ribbon for bookmarks?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

my granddaughters school does this every year- my girls chose wallets for boys and purses for girls- they do great every year making and selling them!
other items popular here now are cel phone covers/carrying pouches, kindle covers, book covers
but the wallets/purses seem to always sell well- they keep them to $5 each and 'clean house'!
Old 09-22-2011, 04:45 AM

Try www.favecrafts.com

There was a lady in another of my groups and she posted several cute ideas from there. One was a little felt wallet that was hand sewn around the edges. Pretty easy to change the pattern size. It was a very simple little thing.