Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ideas for quick & easy stuff to make for a church sale.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Putting fabrics in the microwave is not always safe. Those bowls and potato bags can catch on fire in the microwave.
    Yes, that's true, but so can a bag of popcorn, which is sold all over. There has to be some responsibility on the part of the user to NOT put them in the 'wave for way too much time! Too much of a good thing usually turns out to be a bad thing.

Blog Entries
    The bowls are not for cooking but for heating up. No microwave shouldn't take more then 3 min. to heat soup. I sampled all kinds of batting in my microwave. Warm and Natural was the best of all I tried, it never got hot. Throw a piece of batting in the microwave and see if it is what you want to use.
    Got fabric?

Suz
    I saw a "Quilt in a Jar" once. Thought it was a nice idea. She donor had cut the squares, drew a diagram, had instructions, had backing and batting cut, enough to make a pillow top. All stuffed into a large jar.
    Last edited by Suz; 09-13-2013 at 07:13 AM.

potholders

Hanging Kitchen Towels

I have given many of these and they are relatively inexpensive to make if you go to a Dollar Store to get towels and potholders. They are very quick to make.

Basic Instructions:
    1. Fold potholder and towel in half.
    2. Stitch the middle of the pot holder to middle of the towel.
    3. Use the ring on the potholder to catch on a button you add to the bottom of the potholder.

Everyone can use more kitchen towel especially if they hang easily on the oven or knobs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How about the ten minute tablerunner. Easy, fast and they turn out wonderful.

Blog Entries
    Fat Quarter Scarf - 3 fat quarters that you like together. Cut all FQ's to the length of the shortest one. From each FQ cut two six inch strips. Make two sets of three strips sewing end to end and not having the fabrics in the same order. Right sides together sew the two sets together along the long edge of one side. On the long edge of the other side start 4-6" from the top and end 2-3" from the bottom. Turn right side out and press. Attach the two ends together (this will be easy using pins) and sew to make a large circle. Hand sew or use invisible thread to sew up the opening. Done! Place around your neck and then cross over and place around your neck again. Easy, peasy, 30 minute project!

Blog Entries
    Here is a picture of the Fat Quarter Scarf

Oops, sorry that is coming out sideways, it's not like that on my computer!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    The bowls are not for cooking but for heating up. No microwave shouldn't take more then 3 min. to heat soup. I sampled all kinds of batting in my microwave. Warm and Natural was the best of all I tried, it never got hot. Throw a piece of batting in the microwave and see if it is what you want to use.

I use the Warm Tater Batting made especially for microwaves without the scrim or resins.
    Debbie
    Machine It

I just had my kitchen remodeled and noticed that my oven mits are a disgrace, and so are most of my pot holders. I have some I hang on the wall as deco, but kitchen stuff is sure on my list of gifts this year. Place Mats, table toppers, runners, oven mitts, and pot holders are always welcome gifts

When I make Tater Bags, I use 2 layers of flannel instead of batting. Been using mine for 5 or 6 years now with no problems.

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all your ideas and info!
    Penny
    Country 1

Do you have a hard time sewing through so many thicknesses?

Do you have a hard time sewing through the thicknesses on the hanging kitchen towels?

American Girl doll clothes is a big seller. Embroidered tea towels are too.

Ear bud holder.
    Marilyn

I made some Christmas ornaments for my 19 month old grandson. They were both quick and easy to make from Christmas scrap squares, ribbon and jingle bells.

Take 2 squares of 4 - 5 inch fabric. Sew them togetheron 3 sides, good side to good side. Turn them so the good side is out. Put in one or two jingle bells. Then turn the 4th side under, press, put a loop of ribbon to act as the ornament hanger in the center of the 4th side and sew the 4th side together. If you want to, you can sew a decorative stitch around the perimeter of the ornament. I just straight stitched it.

My grandson liked them, but couldn't really put them on the tree. But he sure could take them off! Next year he'll probably be able to put them on the tree as well.

As always, the little ones should never be left to their own devices around a Christmas tree.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2