Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: if you had to choose between the two....

if you had to choose between the two....

I might be able to go on a girls week/or long weekend. ((squeeeeeeel!!!)

Would you rather do Paducah, KY's quilt show in September, or MIssouri Star Quilt any time of the year.

Pros/cons for each, please?

Thanks!
    Chris

I have been to Paducah so MSQC would be my vote. The fall show in Ky is smaller than the spring show. But, if you have not been to either it is still enjoyable

Paducah for sure!

While MSQC is a wonderful place to experience, itís in the middle of nowhere. For a girlsí weekend, I would want more choices of non-quilting things to do and places to eat. Paducah ó Iíve never been, but want to, but since Iím not crazy about crowds, Iíd opt to go in the off season. September in KY is still really hot and humid, so Iíd get cranky unless I could stay in AC or jump in a pool.

more clarity please
    Do want to be all quilt morning noon night?
    I'd book into the MS retreat rooms and maybe do two stores a day, savor them. and stitch the rest of the time.

the AQS show isn't the end all be all it used to be as they have five (?) shows spread around the country now, Detroit is very good from what my friend in MI says, and there is the one in Nashville and don't know where all else.

Many members here seem more interested in the big AQS merchant malls than the show. The museum is $25.00 a person and I wouldn't want to go through it during show time. We were there for the fall show and there was a line out the door every time we went by. I have visited the museum non-show time and felt it was worth the money.

So. Do you want to shop or sew? Blend in a lot of interests or sew? Give us some info!

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    The museum is $25.00 a person and I wouldn't want to go through it during show time. We were there for the fall show and there was a line out the door every time we went by. I have visited the museum non-show time and felt it was worth the money.
    Admission to the Quilt Museum is still $12. Or you can pay $16 to get a guided tour.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Missouri Star would be my choice, since I hate being around a crowd, and that's what would be at the shows, versus MSQC any time of the year.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    paducah! I'm hoping to go down either this Fall or next Spring with some friends. I've been once when there was no show happening--the museum is great and I've been told that during a show there are lots of pop-up vendors, etc. I live near enough to MSQC that I've been 3 times--it's an amazing experience but for a whole weekend? It's basically shops of all sorts. I do know some quilters that have attended one of their retreats and had a great time-but my guild does a couple of retreats a year that are much cheaper.

My friend and I are going to MSQC and to see the national quilt museum in Paducah in a couple of weeks We will be gone for 5 days. I can hardly wait. MSQC has been on my bucket list for a long time.

Blog Entries
    Paducah! But really want to go both places.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I've been to Paducah several times so I would love to see MSQC.

Blog Entries

It is 6 h 36 min (429.1 mi) via US-36 E and I-64 E from Hamilton to Paducah. Can you do both.
    Last edited by Sallyflymi; 04-25-2019 at 04:35 AM. Reason: added more info

Paducah, for sure. Between the show, Hancock's, the museum, the walkable downtown area, there's so much to do and see. There's nothing in Hamilton, MO besides Missouri Star and it only took me a couple of hours to be done with it.
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Admission to the Quilt Museum is still $12. Or you can pay $16 to get a guided tour.
    Thanks for that clarification! I always think in terms of Rob and I both I think. Sorry I got that wrong.

PamS, it only took me a couple of hours to do MissouriStar too, and we just moseyed. But then I'm not a shopper although I did have a little list. And I do use my big mug every day! Good memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
    Paducah, for sure. Between the show, Hancock's, the museum, the walkable downtown area, there's so much to do and see. There's nothing in Hamilton, MO besides Missouri Star and it only took me a couple of hours to be done with it.
    With all due respect ma'm, you must have really fast eyes. We went to Hamilton about 4 years ago on a trip to Missouri. That was before they bought the last 2-3 stores, and we spent the day looking at fabrics and quilts. There is a nice Amish settlement just a few miles out of Hamilton. I guess it just depends on what one is looking for. I have been to Paducah also, and while it was great with all of the quilts and vendors, it was a bit exhausting.

If you want to sew, go to MSQC. If you want to shop, go to Paducah.

Pro MSQC: Can shop, can visit with friends, can sew
    Pro Paducah: Get to buy new shoes! Haha

What a predicament! Both offer advantages and both would leave me happy . . . and exhausted.

Paducah would offer beautiful and fantastic quilts, beyond my ability . . . and there would probably be crowds. Missouri Star would offer a more relaxed environment and lots of opportunity for window shopping and buying. My feet would hurt after a few hours in both places but MSQC offers lots of places to sit and ponder and dream. I am also fascinated how one company can bring new life to a town.

If you need some additional excitement, there are many attractions an hour or so away - St. Joseph (old Missouri River town) to the west, Kansas City to the south (with a variety of attractions), Jamesport (Amish and art communities) and Hannibal (the home of Mark Twain and river town) to the east. And if you haven't got enough fabrics and shopping in Hamilton, there's some wonderful small quilt shops within an hour's drive.

Wow! What a decision you have!

Quote Originally Posted by Sallyflymi View Post
    It is 6 h 36 min (429.1 mi) via US-36 E and I-64 E from Hamilton to Paducah. Can you do both.
    LOL My type of girl!
    Anna Quilts

If you want to do an AQS show, why not Grand Rapids, MI in Aug.? I have gone 3 of the last 4 yrs. & will be going again this yr. I did live there for 40 yrs & all my family is there so it's a combo trip but there are also a lot of other things to do & see in West Mich.

MSQC, there are tons of quilt shows but only one MSQC. I'm not fond of crowds, long lines, etc. My past experience is the hotels during Paducah are pricey and are booked a year in advance. Last year many ladies got a hotel 30-45 minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallyflymi View Post
    Hokey smokes, I need to travel with you!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-26-2019 at 03:08 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Quote Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
    Hokey smokes, I need to travel with you!
    Red, I think you've found your solution. It's inspiring me!