Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ikea

Blog Entries
    I'm so excited! Going to Ikea with my sisters and brother in law today! Has anyone ever gone there and got anything they used for their quilting obsession there. I was there once and there is a lot of stuff to look at. Just wondering if anyone has found anything they used for quilting whether it be for storage or sewing.

Blog Entries
    this lady did her room from there
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-124014-1.htm

Blog Entries
    Someone else bought this cabinet. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-64502-1.htm
    I just love Ikea!!!! Have fun!!

They do really good storage units that are useful for quilting. I have also bought fabric from there for backing, and they also do a 100% cotton thread, but limited in colours.
    Other than that I hate the place. I cannot do with having to walk through the whole store when you know the thing you want is at the final department, and there is no short cut. I have also never been able to find a car space near the entrance. Don't go there unless I am desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by wvhill22
    this lady did her room from there
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-124014-1.htm
    My sewing desk is a little smaller than this one, bought it at IKEA years ago and it's great. Sure wish I had some extra room to add the cubes like this gal has, they are so handy, colorful and neat.

I have many of their colorful plastic totes in several sizes, the ones that have a white cover with a little hole in the middle, usuall find them in the kid's area. I have about half of my stash in the, they also stach so neatly. Sometimes there are fabrics they are colorful but a bit thicker than what we're used to, think they are mainly for decorating.

Me too! My set up is from IKEA.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got three tall CD cases at IKEA to hold my fat quarters and half yards. Love them! They fit over the baseboard for security.

Blog Entries
    I got a tall cabinet with lots of drawers, sort of like a lingerie chest. Great for storing small items. Bottom drawers were a bit deeper, I use for 'filing' storage of FQ's. You would store them upright.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192822

I bought several of these:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10128734
    They are great....even better than the bendable light you attach to your sewing machine! Plus I can use them when I am doing any hand sewing. I have given several as gifts as well.
    You're going to have a great time at IKEA!
    Jeane

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I have two ikea bar units as a cutting table and one of their little drawer units on casters that holds my thread and I can pull it round to my left to extend the surface when quilting a large quilt http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57422-1.htm Ikea are unsurpassed for storage solutions! PS the hanging rails also came from Ikea - check out every department, including the kitchen ware! I also have cutlery trays I used to hold bits and pieces, think they were 50 pence each (around 75 cents?!)

Blog Entries
    we have an ikea a few miles away. i never thought of them in quilting terms. but i do know that they are terrific for storage items.

I've never used it myself, but several Dutch quilters use the fabric 'Ditte' for backing.
    Have fun.

I love Ikea. always look in the clearance area, got a nice table there. Also bought a tabletop and 4 scren legs for 20$. They have lots of containers for everything you imagine. I'm too far away now to go browse. have fun

I love Ikea too. We don't have one so when I visit Atlanta I always go and look (and eat breakfast!) and we have gotten some storage stuff - love it.

I have three of these

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658

One sits on the sewing table next to my machine. Wonderful bright LED light that you can point to anything with. Cheaper alternative to the $50 stick on one offered in quilting stores!!

OBTW - one of my favorite places to go - have fun!!

I love Ikea. Great prices and good storage pieces. They also sell chairs, rugs, towels, sheets, just about anything you could need for your home. I love their cinnamon rolls and their meatballs. The Ikea in Charlotte also has a children's area downstairs for the little ones to play while you shop. I think this is free, but I don't know. My daughter enjoyed watching a kid-friendly movie in the cafeteria area upstairs while we shopped the last time I was there. Check out the kitchen area for things you could use in a sewing area. They have canisters and all kinds of things. Also the laundry area might have some things. They have a great selection of hooks, storage bags and laundry hampers. Enjoy your trip!

Next to Disneyland IKEA is the place I love to be. The last time we were there it was for DIL's birthday. We treated her and her mom and our 5 yr old grandson to lunch and gave her a gift card for $100.00 for a little shopping spree.

My grandson loved it there. Every time I go I'm amazed at all the bargains. It's like they're giving things away. Speaking of giving things away, we were there for several hours that day and our grandson got a little hungry so we went to the cafe and they had 2 hot dogs, a bag of chips and a soda for $2.00. Why is it that I'm always thinking about food?

Are we having a weight loss challenge in June?

Little storage boxes in kit form that one has to nail together. Makes 8 apothecary type drawers which are very handy for tools and small templates.

I bought a storage unit (4), table and legs. The legs are adjustable so that I could make the table a lower height for sewing without straining and still have my feet on the floor using an adjustable chair. Storage unit is the first picture; table the second

storage unit
    Name:  Attachment-203725.jpe
Views: 54
Size:  21.1 KB

adjustable table
    Name:  Attachment-203726.jpe
Views: 51
Size:  31.3 KB

IKEA actually sponsored a quilt show in their store here in the Twin Cities a couple years ago to show case the many fabrics that were available at the store. You could sign up for a $40 fee and they would send you various fabrics to make a quilt and you had to come up with the design and the quilt. It was actually quite amazing some of the art work that these talented quilters came up with. They served a light buffet, and sparkling juices and it was open and free to the public. I hope they do it again.

I am getting ready to redo my craft/Quilt room.
    I will check out Ikea.

I find the floor lamp is the best, because it comes in three section, so the height can be adjusted so be next to an ironing board or sewing table. The frosted shade doesn't produce glare. It's about $20,

I love these wire baskets. I use them for fat quarters, scraps, UFO's, and they hold my Accu quilt cutter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    they have marimekko fabric, 100% cotton, bright colors and usually graphic designs. very scandinavian! also, check out the sheets. might make great backings! have fun!!

I've gotten fabric, a left over side of a cabinet (to put my cutting mat on, cause I cut on my bed), I am currently storing my Accuquilt dies in a wooden pot holder, which has more room than the one Accuquilt sells.

I really try to stay away from Ikea. I do like there "as is" section, usually I try to start there 1st.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast