I'M HOME!!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 PM

Suggestions from a former Air Force wife...beg, borrow or rent a cam corder.
When the movers come, have a continuing picture of ALL your possessions as
they come out of your house and are put into the truck(s). Also try to get some
good pictures of the movers. (Take pictures of the inside of your empty house/apt/condo, and should the rental agent be around, take his/her picture with the inside of the place as his/her background. This way, you have proof that the place is in good condition.)

Be DARNED SURE that you, and you alone take your valuables with YOU, even
if you have to sew them into your clothing or tuck them into your bra. Far too
many military and civilians have complained at having valuables stolen/damaged, or, in my son's case, exchanged. He lost most of his important papers plus most of his water bed, but came out of it with a handsome flowered sleeper couch!!

My brother's wife stupidly hid all her gold jewelry in her bedding when the Air Force moved them back to the states, and lost it all.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 PM

I was about to PM you to find out why we hadn't heard from you!
Glad you had a great trip - somehow I missed hearing about it. WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Suggestions from a former Air Force wife...beg, borrow or rent a cam corder.
When the movers come, have a continuing picture of ALL your possessions as
they come out of your house and are put into the truck(s). Also try to get some
good pictures of the movers. (Take pictures of the inside of your empty house/apt/condo, and should the rental agent be around, take his/her picture with the inside of the place as his/her background. This way, you have proof that the place is in good condition.)

Be DARNED SURE that you, and you alone take your valuables with YOU, even
if you have to sew them into your clothing or tuck them into your bra. Far too
many military and civilians have complained at having valuables stolen/damaged, or, in my son's case, exchanged. He lost most of his important papers plus most of his water bed, but came out of it with a handsome flowered sleeper couch!!

My brother's wife stupidly hid all her gold jewelry in her bedding when the Air Force moved them back to the states, and lost it all.
Lots of good advice. Give away all your liquor, because if it gets packed, I can almost guarantee that box/crate will disappear. Hand carry your jewelry - even if it's not the queen's best, someone will think it is, and you'll never see it, or the box/crate it's in again. Ditto if you have any silver.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the advice.
I can't remember what number this move is, I think it is number 1,997. lol I have no worries about these packers/movers. I actually picked the team. They are the same ones that moved us in here. The guys are great, love them. I've been doing this "canoe club" for 24 years, so it's pretty much old hat.
I do hand carry all my jewelry with me when we move. Liquor, if it's an unopened bottle will get packed. I do have a bottle that is quite expensive and that is now packed in with my fabric. I pack most of my fabric myself, well, the stuff that never made it into drawers or I had no place to put it.
I have pictures of everything we own, what it looks like and whatnot. I have a list of all dvds, videos and whatnot too. Anything of value that I don't trust being shipped with the packers is packed up and sent to someone in the states by express mail. That money we spend is tax deductable on our moving expenses when we file taxes OR I can claim it against our move as a partial DITY. I'm not going to claim it with our move only because we are just at our weight allowance.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
..Are you going to hand carry your sewing machine? or let them pack it up and keep it for a couple of months???? lol
oh that is cruel!!
I'm actually packing the machines. :( :( :(
It's just going to be too much to carry with us as it is. Doing an overseas move, we have to hand carry alot with us.
I have a child here that wants to learn to sew, so when we get to where we are going, I will buy her an inexpensive machine to use. Plus, I can use that until mine gets there. Then, when she decides to move out, she can take the machine with her.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:05 AM

Well thank the dear Lord that you won't be without a machine for long....I have heard from friends of how long you can be without your belongings....My BFF's daughter and husband were sleeping on an airmattress for almost a month and that was just from San Diego to Illinois....
Old 04-06-2010, 07:09 AM

According to Personal Property, which you really cannot believe, they said that our household goods will arrive no later than June 8 and our Express Shipment....we always send that last, will arrive May 28th. Really not all that long without a machine. BUT..MIL has a really nice Brother machine that is just sitting and collecting dust. I'm going to TRY to get it from her again. Maybe if I whine enough, she'll give it up. Plus, I am the favorite daughter in law. Ok, I'm the ONLY daughter in law. lol
Old 04-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

How did I know you were going to say that about being the "only" :lol: :lol: My SIL (the "other" SIL) would tell you that my MIL likes me better...but only because I was young as her grand daughters were.....hows that for ""MMMEEEEOOOOWW"??? :hunf: :mrgreen: Actually it was just because I'm nicer.... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
How did I know you were going to say that about being the "only" :lol: :lol: My SIL (the "other" SIL) would tell you that my MIL likes me better...but only because I was young as her grand daughters were.....hows that for ""MMMEEEEOOOOWW"??? :hunf: :mrgreen: Actually it was just because I'm nicer.... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LMAO!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

WOO HOO...back from running and roaming!
Now to get finished getting off that pebble! don't forget the kitties!
yes, I heard the grandbabies calling to you too, grandma!
"come change me, come feed me, come rock me..." :wink:
...almost heaven, in virginia...
and don't forget to show us the pics, gf! :P
hugs!