Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I'm Making Cloth Napkins. It's Fun and Easy.

I'm Making Cloth Napkins. It's Fun and Easy.

I made myself a set of napkins a couple of weeks ago using fat quarters. Fat quarters are a really good size for cloth napkins and all you have to do is wash, iron, cut off selvedge and hem it up. I use the tutorial here: http://aspoonfulofsugardesigns.com/2...linen-napkins/ to get the nice mitered corners. The napkins were so much fun to make I bought some linen fabric and made a set of embroidered napkins for DD's birthday and I have some Christmas fabric on order to make some holiday napkins for us.

These napkins were made from fat quarters.

Name:  005.JPG
Views: 1497
Size:  94.0 KB

Pretty. I love to make and use cloth napkins. I have made sets for almost every occasion from holiday, birthday, and seasonal. We had friends over for thanksgiving last year. I made each couple a set (of 8) of taupe colored napkins with their monogram on them. I dressed the table with each couple's napkins and then included a pretty bag with the other 6 napkins. What a surprise when they sat down and found such a personal gift.

They take very little time to make. I serge the edges on some of my sets, or roll and miter others. I have a 10 needle embroidery machine, so I stack and embroider 6 napkins at a time. I have also stacked and embroidered on my Baby lock Destiny, 6 at a time. As for "extra laundry", I throw them I with my towels and give them a little pressing when they come out of the dryer.

Reminds me of a time when we were not so busy with our lives and families sat at the dining room table and ate dinner together.

Nice table napkins.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Thank you for showing this. I too make cloth napkins for the sole purpose of decreasing the use of PAPER Napkins and TOWELS! I guess I am trying to sensitive to our paper and tree use.

I have a couple of rolled hem feet and use them to make sets of 12 single sided napkins. Usually about 3 1/2yrd will make 12 napkins and nearly the same cocktail napkins or cookie napkins. They make excellent gifts for Christmas, Valentines, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, the summer patriotic, fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, or whatever piques your fancy. Sometimes I buy on sale quilt store fabric while other times fabric from Joanne with a coupon.

If you look at the marginal cost of a load of laundry, nor only are they very cheap (less than penny) but also fit into nearly any load. It just makes sense and cents to use cloth rather than paper. I also use old towels that have have serge up to make cloth rags that can me washed and used over and over--again no paper towels

Now, I will get off my soap box. Thanks for reading.
    Karen

BCM
    Thanks for sharing this idea and just in time for gift giving time of holiday.

Remember when my kid brother went to a friends for dinner and came home and said that his friends family was poor they had to use napkins that you have to wash. No paper ones there.

Blog Entries
    very nice, thank you for sharing
    Mary

Very nice. I love cloth napkins and have given many as gifts. I use rolled hem on serger for fast, cute napkins.

Very Nice love the Colors!!

Blog Entries
    Purchase the seasonal fabric after the holiday....then make the napkins. I make a set for each holiday and give as a shower or housewarming gift. Always appreciated. I always have a stack ready to give.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Very nice. I might make some. Right now I'm using bandanas I purchased for 99 cents each from Hobby Lobby.

Blog Entries
    These are great! I think I need to make some of these. I sure have lots of fat quarters that may never find themselves in a quilt. Thanks for the link.

Leslie

My family still sit and eats dinner together but without cloth napkins. What are the dimensions so I can make so Halloween one for my Isabella. She LOVES Halloween (so do I).

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I bought some bandana fabric and made some large kerchiefs for DH. He wears them because of perspiration when working out side. I made them just a little large than normal bandana size. I bought yardage.

These are great. Guess I'll have to make some too. It would also make cute gifts for kids with their names or something cute appliqued or embroidered on them. Or just really cute prints. Then they will have their own napkin.
    Thanks for the reminder & the info.

Power Poster
    Great job...

Blog Entries
    I made them on the serger, then I made matching placemats, towels and crocheted washcloths.
    it's addicting
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.