Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm in missery

3 days ago, I leaned over just an inch to pet the cat and BAM! I felt my lower back tighten up. I'm miserable and can't bend now.

Ouch! Long hot shower maybe to loosen the strained muscles??

Ouch! I've been there and it is not fun. Muscle relaxants were all that worked for me, and fairly quickly.

I grew up with the attitude that chiropractors were "quacks" until I had a similar experience. Just reached over to pick up a stapler and BAM! I spent a week in bed with muscle relaxers that did no good at all. Finally, a friend took me to her chiropractor. Within an hour, I was able to walk upright and pain free. Just sayin' . . . Hope you feel better soon!

Hope your'e better soon.

lay on the floor with your "butt" up against the couch and your legs resting on the couch...like sitting on it.

Will help relax your back while supporting your legs.

Not pretty but worked for me to provide some releif.

Be sure to have help getting up.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I agree that chiropractors are great- hope you find something that helps. Sounds like you're in a lot of pain :(
    Are you taking anything like Advil???

Quote Originally Posted by suzee
    I grew up with the attitude that chiropractors were "quacks" until I had a similar experience. Just reached over to pick up a stapler and BAM! I spent a week in bed with muscle relaxers that did no good at all. Finally, a friend took me to her chiropractor. Within an hour, I was able to walk upright and pain free. Just sayin' . . . Hope you feel better soon!
    OMG, I so agree. You may have thrown your back out and not have pulled a muscle. Try iceing it. If it seems to help, I would ask around about a good Chiropractor. I have gone to one for years and I thank heaven for them. Having a bad back is bad enough, suffering the pain for weeks is un-neccesary when a chiropractor can have you back up and moving in one treatment. Not to say it is a miricle cure, you may need to go several times but it is better than lying in bed for days. Most insurace will cover chiropractic care these days to.
    Hope your feeling better soon. I know back pain is un-bearable.

I feel your pain... a few months ago I bent down to tie my shoe (had been feeling great) and "OUCH! ... pulled muscle in back... I became a couch potato for 2 weeks and my best friend was the heating pad, ice, and a muscle relaxant. But, it will pass. Welcome to the "golden years" (I am assuming of course).

Same thing happened to me. After suffering with it for a week and it constantly getting worse, I gave in and went to a chiropractor for the first time in my life. The next day I was able to walk without wincing. A few more sessions and my pain was completely gone. Made a believer out of me.

Blog Entries
    My next husband will have to be a chiropractor.... just kidding...

Ice, ice, ice. On for 15 off for 15 for one hour. It will help reduce the inflamation and pain.

Thanks for the advise, I will give it a try.

I have been using the thermacare heat pads which help a lot. And taking ibprofen too. I have a back stretcher/ relaxer thing, I'll try that too.

30 years ago my son broke my 3rd vertabre when I gave birth to him. I have had arthritis ever since. :(

My husband has degenerating disks in his back and also tried medication. Now he's medication free because he gets a deep tissue massage once a month followed up by a chiroprator visit. And the massage makes you feel great all over...all aches and pains and stress worked out!

ICE IT! I am a veteran of such episodes and always applied heat. Finally in my 50's I learned from a young lawyer in my office whose wife was a physical trainer and whose dad in Italy was a professional soccer coach, that initially, heat just adds to inflamation. After a couple of days applying ice for abut 20 minutes at a time several times a day, then use the heat alternately with the ice. Gradually resume walking. Once you are recovered take up an exercise routine that strengthens you core. If you have a gym nearby employ the aid of a certified trainer who can teach you the moves. I can tell you from my own experience that's the long term secret to avoiding the hassle of such spasms.

Jane

Blog Entries
    This happens to me sometimes d/t bulging disc....core muscle exercises have helped

Ouch! Hope it gets better soon.

Oh Nooooooooooooooo I am so sorry - at first I thought you were in the Ozarks area!

Quote Originally Posted by suzee
    I agree...I spent years with exactly the same thing as Sewnsewer2, until I finally decided to give a chiro a go (I had always thought they were 'quacks' too). Best thing I ever did, and haven't been laid up with a bad back since. Yes, I still injure my back but I'm straight off to the chiro and I'm up and about straight away..no having to spend days in bed at all

That is all it takes. One wrong move and your out for a week or so . Prayers from my home to yours.

Best friends is Thera-gesic (pain relieving creme) and Bayer Neck & and back pain tablets in achy missery like that. Our Doctor keyed us in on these things.

Use as directed in the instructions. My husband has terrible pain and these really help him when the medical field cannot with his back and neck pain. I even use them on occassion.

I too thought chiropractors were quacks until I was suffering from a back spasm that lasted for weeks.

I couldn't stand up straight,walking, sitting, standing it all hurt.

The dr gave me the pills-flexeril and prescription strenthg Aleve didn't help and finally I broke down and visited a chiropractor...with in minutes of him doing his magic I was pain free,

Oh and he has this magic table with a heat pad, electrical stimulation and a rolling bar thingy that feels like a massage that you lay on.

Well, good news! I took your advise and laid on the floor like some of you said with my legs on the couch. Then I also laid on my back thing and I feel better. Not gone completely, but am working on it.

I <3 my Chiropractor!

Blog Entries
    I have done that. I did it cleaning out a sewing box once on the floor, took me 45 minutes to pull myself up.

I lay on the floor, on my back, point your toes and try to stretch them to the wall. At the same time, put your arms straight out over your head then point your fingers and try to stretch them to the other wall. It takes pressure off the spasm'd muscles and relaxes them. There's no cure for a spazzed back, it'll feel better in about three days. Then you remember not to do what you did to cause it again. Not to worry! It never will happen. It'll be when you take clothes out of the dryer, or get out of the car, or mow the lawn, or shovel. (I had to crawl up 13 steps to get into the house when I did shoveling - of course that was oh, give or take, 30 years ago. I am an old pro at this. Oh, yah, and the doctor told me the reason it hurt me so bad was because I was standing straight. That's the key. Stand straight - don't favor it! You'll end up with a dowager's hump if you do. Just a little common sense info here from the straight-backed, old lady! Edie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast