I'm in pain!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:30 PM

Notice that many of the machines are now 5 inches higher than they were previously. I experienced shoulder pain until I lowered my table and took more breaks. For a while I visited the chiropractor regularly. That shoulder pain(not in the joint) came from a spot in my neck and traveled to the center of my shoulder. Press on your neck vertebre and see if pain stops. Good luck to all--sewing is worth it.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:58 PM

I try to limit myself to an hour or so at my machine or at my computer. Switching between activities, be a little ADHD, it helps.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:48 PM

I found a great way to pull all the kinks out. Stand with your toes just to your side of a doorway. Put your hands on the door jam at shoulder height. Lean in slightly. You do NOT lean far enough to hurt. Just do it a few times to start. You can move your hands up or down to unkink at most levels of your back or shoulders. A chiropractor gave me this hint since I have numerous back issues. If you do it right, you will feel the benefit, if you do it wrong it will hurt. I now do "door push ups" several times a day. It is better for me, than pain pills, that make me act and sew crazy. lol!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I sprained my right shoulder 3 yrs ago and the sewing has aggravated it. I wear one those bracelet with magnets in it when my arm goes to hurting.
Do those bracelets really help? A friend brought one to work the other day that a friend of hers let her try. Her friends was like rubber type and then had like magnetic to snap together. Her friend said that she could even keep it in her pocket and it would help? I guess this one costed $100.00.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
My left shoulder has been aching for months now. I can't lift it past just below shoulder high and can't sleep on my left side -- if I roll over to that side it wakes me up. I've started taking ibuprophen in the morning so I can move it without pain. Been putting off going to the doc because I don't want her to tell me to stop sewing so I just grin, take ibuprophen and bear it. :)
My shoulder pain sounds like yours too. I have the same symtoms. I also keep putting it off. But I think that mine may be from work also.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

So far I can work out any pains I get, just try different things. I take several breaks, just a few minutes. Usually do some housework or laundry, potty breaks, pressing etc. After piecing several hours, sitting at machine yesterday, I found if I stood for a while my back stopped hurting.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 PM

i have chronic tendonitis in both shoulders.. i had reached the point where i had to call my husband into the shower cause i couldn't get my arms up enough to get the shampoo out of my hair...

and i got lots & lots of hair...

i wound up in physical therapy for about 6 months & have a set of exercises i do with weights... supposed to do it every day.. usually do, but can sure tell if i miss more than one or two...

go get it checked out, it will feel better in the long run
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by carolyne2421
i sewed in a sewing factory (corbins) for 33 yrs,,all my joints hurt and are wore out,,,but i still make my quilts,,ask your dr for a free tube of voltaren gel,,it is a arthritis rub, maybe that will help some,,it does for me
I take voltaren, didn't know it was available in a gel! :-D
Old 08-25-2010, 05:49 PM

If you have a CVS Pharmacy or a Walgreens nearby, get Cobroxin gel. Its a pain reliever and use it for 4 or 5 days and you will not beleve how much it will help. I am a firm believer. It also comes in a sublingual spray. I now use the spray maybe 3 times a day and am PAIN FREE for the first time in 7 years.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by gzuslivz
With fibromyalgia, scoliosis and a deformed hip ya never know what's gonna hurt. But tonight it's my right wrist. So, I put Biofreeze on it and give it a rest. We'll see what tomorrow brings:-)
:D We never bore people with our painstories since they change every few hours. I am the sam way except my shoulder is the worst. When I went to Dr. he wanted to know what I was doing now.