Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
An indoor swing for my Autistic DGS >

An indoor swing for my Autistic DGS

An indoor swing for my Autistic DGS

Old 08-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

My hat is off to people with autistic children. I know I couldn't handle it. I admire you and your family for the strength it takes.

God bless you.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by anima57
Thanks to showing me this thread. my 2-1/2 grandson Nix was diagnosed two weeks ago with autism spectrum and yesterday had further testing that scored him as a 17. he starts home therapy this week, 4 visits a week 90 minute each. It helps to hear this. I am trying to be positive about the future and help for him but it is very difficult.
Zach was diagnose with hearing loss due to water buildup on his ears and had tubes put in at 18 mos. They thought he would get better since he couldn't hear because of the ear problems. When he still ignored us then Sara took him to the Dr and he was diagnosed then with Autism at an early age before the age of 2. Sara had early childhood education due to working in a daycare with 2 yr olds. so she got intervention for him early. He had two ladies that came in one at time each week and worked with him in the home. It was the best thing that ever happened for him. He is so much farther along than he would have been if that had not been started early.

I am so glad you got an early diagnosis and he is getting help now. Each person has a differant level of ability so each story is a bit differant but there are lots and lots of people on this board that have autism in their life. There is alot of support out there so if you want to talk about your experiences with this in a thread of your own you will get lots of support!! I encourge you to talk about what you are feeling as that is so important to have support to help you through those times when it feels like you are struggling with this.

There is alot of help online for autistic kids. My DD has researched and has a lot of info if you would like to talk to her I can give you her email in a pm so you can get all the info if that would help.

Being knowledgable is so important to stand up for what your child needs. Drs are only people and you need to find one that will help and not just pat you on the head and say he will outgrow it! some Drs can be sooo dumb! Sara has had to fight to get help for Zach. There are alot of tips to finding good care for your child.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Zach is a joy most of the time! He is honest because he doesn't know how to lie. He is funny and adorable when he isn't melting down! His sister 8 taught him how to fight back when he is picked on! She takes her frustrations out on him alot. If she stomps on his foot he will stomp back now!! LOL But he isn't mean. He doesn't understand revenge or being mean just to be mean.

He will be 10 in Jan. He won't be such a baby anymore! He is about a year and a half behind in emotional growth and his ability to understand concepts. But he is mainstreamed now with the other kids his age. He has an aide that can keep him on task and take him out of class if it gets too much for him. But he is doing so well now. He still spends alot of time repeating tv shows in his mind and he talks nonstop echolalia some days. Echolalia is repeating word for word things he hears. He didn't start using his own sentences much til this last year or so. He now can hold a conversation for a few mins and is learning to start a conversation. He has trouble understanding when certain behaviors are appropriate and when they are not. Social skills is his weakest thing but we work on that. He is a very hands on touch kind of person and he has to learn not to run his hand up under someone's sleeve or under the shirt. He is learning boundaries. Or at least we are attempting to teach him boundaries and good manners! LOL
Old 08-15-2010, 04:31 PM

Rhonda, you are an angel who has been a terrific advocate for the autistic person and their families. I learn something each time I read your postings. Having worked with the autistic children through older adults, each person does experience individual situations. Knowledge, persistence, consistency, and patience are building blocks.
Blessings to your and your family :-)
Old 08-15-2010, 04:51 PM

That is wonderful swing I would like to have something like that for my daughter. She is 10, has autistic spectrum, global delays, lactose intolerant, does not speak nor does she walk without assistance and so many other diagnoses I have lost track over the years. I can relate to your daughter and having to be an advocate for her child. Lets just say I have a reputation now lol ( not sure its a good one) but have learned if my daughter needs something to improve her life -- one way or another she will get it. I never give up and can be a real B**** if I have to. I moved to my hometown cause I knew they would treat her better here and she would get the medical care she needed. Schools can be a real pain in the butt they try to do as little as possible. This years big fight getting air conditioning on the school bus. She had to ride for about 30 to 45 minutes in this heat without air. You have to just keep insisting, and like me go to the next person higher up. The best advise I was ever given was from her peds doctor " She will go as far as you take her". And he was right.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kay carlson
Rhonda, you are an angel who has been a terrific advocate for the autistic person and their families. I learn something each time I read your postings. Having worked with the autistic children through older adults, each person does experience individual situations. Knowledge, persistence, consistency, and patience are building blocks.
Blessings to your and your family :-)
Thanks Kay sometimes I have had enough and I will go in the bathroom for a bit and Papa will watch him for awhile. He is really doing alot better and really doesn't get into too much trouble any more. I sometimes lay down and take a nap but after I have laid down for awhile Zach will come in and snuggle for a bit. His snuggling tho is throwing a leg up and over me or I get an elbow in the ribs or he lays his head on my legs. He doesn't lay still and he talks nonstop. But I enjoy tickling him and teasing him.

He is a problem solver too. If he decides he wants to do something he will work and work at how to accomplish it.

We have had reservations about how his life will be as an adult but Sara and I both know there is alot more help out there now for Autistic people. So his future is full of promise!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by kylenstevesmom
Rhonda, as you know my 2 boys have Asperger's... so I can relate.The swing sounds awesome, and Zach looks like he enjoys it and is making good use out of it.
I think Kyle would have gotten some use out of something like that... but when he was that age he was undiagnosised and seriously misunderstood.
One thing you can tell Zach is that he gets to swing on his swing even when it's snowing outside and everyone else has to wait until it gets nice out!!!

Theresa
How old are your boys now? I still have some issues of him throwing himself on the ground in a temper and I can't move him physically. Sara uses stern voice and telling him to get up but he doesn't always listen to me. One time he did this to me in the middle of the street and scared me because I couldn't get him to move. He is almost as tall as me now and I do worry abit if he is too big to handle and he won't listen to me.

I do use time out and he hates that as he has to sit on my bed with Papa in his wheelchair right beside him. Papa takes no guff so he doesn't get away with the temper tantrums for long.
I also use 123 as does Sara and it works most of the time.

We both -Sara and I- think about what his teen years will be like. He will be 10 in Jan and that sounds so grown up!! LOL
The temper is from a meltdown. It may be related to OCD. I know when my son who is autistic(and btw thanks for the heads up on the swing) was on an experimental enzyme medication it reduced the meltdowns from the OCD. Google up Luminenz-AT
Old 08-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Zach doesn't have meltdowns very often for me anymore. He does more for Mom because he is only with me for a weekend twice a month. Here he is not crowded by his siblings and he can play on the comp as much as he wants or swing or watch tv without having to battle for it. He also doesn't have to opportunity to get stressed here. So we get along fine any more most of the time.

At home he gets upset when Sara won't let him do what he wants. sometimes this results in a meltdown but we have found mostly that a meltdown occurs for him when he has his head set of doing something and if Sara can sit him down and get him to explain what he wants to do ( which is hard for him to do) then we can divert a meltdown. Usually it is because he can't communicate what he is thinking and he gets frustrated instantly. then he throws himself or hits himself on the head or his favorite here lately (learned from his dear little sister!) is to bite! He starts trying to put his mouth on my shoulder to express his frustration. It isn't retaliation it is getting his emotions out. If you can redirect him and let him vent some other way we are good to go! LOL I made him talk last night when he got mad and went to bite me. He was upset because the printer wouldn't do what he wanted it to do. He is still learning acceptable behavior from unacceptable behavior. I set him in his chair and made him talk to me about it. I am 5' 3" and he is just about 2" above my shoulder. He is 9 1/2.
So getting him to understand right from wrong is so important before he gets bigger.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:49 PM

We have 2 autistic grandsons - ages 9 and 11. Contrary to what we've heard about autistic people, the younger boy DOES lie, and he intentionally hurts the dog and his brother - who doesn't stand up for himself. We have to keep an eye on him constantly.

On the other hand, he is making wonderful academic progress. When his IED (academic plan for next year)was finalized, we were told that he will be on track to graduate from typical high school, NOT special ed hs, if he's successful with this IED. He's going to be one busy boy next year, but that's what he needs. He was bored WAY too much last year, and that led to a LOT of acting out.

His older brother is sweeter - but he's pre-pubescent and that's creating new problems. He's so big physically that it's becoming more and more difficult for his mom to deal with him when his dad (my DS) isn't home. He was weaned off all his meds during the spring, but he'll probably have to go back on some to control his self-abuse when he can't make himself understood - and other intolerable behaviors that have resurfaced. It's hard to balance med positives and negatives.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoanneS
We have 2 autistic grandsons - ages 9 and 11. Contrary to what we've heard about autistic people, the younger boy DOES lie, and he intentionally hurts the dog and his brother - who doesn't stand up for himself. We have to keep an eye on him constantly.

On the other hand, he is making wonderful academic progress. When his IED (academic plan for next year)was finalized, we were told that he will be on track to graduate from typical high school, NOT special ed hs, if he's successful with this IED. He's going to be one busy boy next year, but that's what he needs. He was bored WAY too much last year, and that led to a LOT of acting out.

His older brother is sweeter - but he's pre-pubescent and that's creating new problems. He's so big physically that it's becoming more and more difficult for his mom to deal with him when his dad (my DS) isn't home. He was weaned off all his meds during the spring, but he'll probably have to go back on some to control his self-abuse when he can't make himself understood - and other intolerable behaviors that have resurfaced. It's hard to balance med positives and negatives.
Joey Sara's oldest is 11 and he has ausbergers. He hasn't been diagnosed officially because he was already on meds for the symptoms. So when she tried to get him diagnosed the dr didn't see the symptoms because he was on meds! Catch 22. but he so much has the social problems and ADHD and he has ticks. He does lie when he thinks he will be in trouble. Zach doesn't understand what a lie is. So he is very literal and can't think the way it takes to lie. Thanks goodness. He has picked up some bad habits from Joey and Rachel tho. He has been not so nice to my dog but I still don't feel it is meant meanly. He was inspectiing Molly who is a med size dog and he was bending her leg back in a way it shouldn't go!! so I do watch him around the dogs and any smaller children. His is more not understanding that he is hurting. Tho he does know to stomp on your foot to get you to move because he learned that one from Rachel!!

Every one's situation has things that are alike and things that are differant. I hope your youngest DGS learns that lies are wrong!! I feel for you Joanne!

My youngest son was very good at lieing to get out of trouble. He lied before he would tell the truth. Hopefully he doesn't do that so much now. He is 32 now. We were told he had a learning disability and looking back and looking at him now I am pretty sure he has auspergers. He is not comfortable in social situations. He has ocd. I always called him my black and white kid. He needs routine and things to stay the same to be able to cope. With him it is either right or wrong no in between. he told me recently when he goes to a restaurant he rearranges the little salt and pepper packets or sugar packets etc. He has to line them up evenly or stack them evenly. He had a hard time in school tho he always tried really hard. He has one twin son that I am afraid is going to follow his footsteps and have a hard time in school. Tho as Mom Angie had him tested they didnt find anything that they felt he wouldn't grow out of. But we see signs of maybe ausbergers. Sara and I and Angie have been watching him since birth and are aware that there may be struggles along the way. He starts first grade this month. The other twin is highly motivated to learn and is a lot more skilled at learning and wants to learn. The differance had caused problems between the boys which I hate to see. I hope they can resolve them and stay close as they get older.