Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Interesting concept about our energy levels. >

Interesting concept about our energy levels.

Interesting concept about our energy levels.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:28 PM
mim

I retired when I was 67 from a very stressful - but loved - job. My gift to myself was a volunteer stint in St Petersburg Russia -- unearthing a Peter the Great fortress for the Hermitage Museum and then Visiting quilters in the Baltic States.

My first day in Vienna I met a wonderful lady who borrowed my guidebook. She was backpacking - as I was -- and she had just come from Milan Italy. She was 84 and had 2 hip replacements. I thought --- If SHE can do it -- so can I!!!!

That was many years ago and I still use her as an example. Granted, I need more rest between hard work, but I still go for it. I volunteer as a docent at a museum one day a week and actually come home tired but enthused.

Old is a state of mind -- taking into consideration health issues.

Go for it!!!! Mim
Old 07-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I think of all my mother did at my age and feel like a wimp.
my Grandma was half my size, with three times the energy. she could work all day on the farm doing all the chores and tend a big garden, chickens, pigs, etc. and still find time to sew much, raise kids, including neighbors who needed help and wore me out. She died at 94 after having broken her leg in the barn, dragged herself to the house and phoned for help. She is probably still going strong in Heaven and wowing the angels. When I get tired I think how soft we have become and wonder if we could do more work. Probably if we had too,,,,,, and I'm thankful we don't.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:52 PM

I agree as well I guess i am a morning person,and if I go out I don't want to work when I get back
Old 07-07-2017, 06:11 PM

Part of the change is that our priorities change. We realize that a weed in the yard won't kill us, dust on the furniture won't go anywhere without our help, dishes survive soaking in the sink overnight (although I personally hate dishes in the sink at any time), and so on.