Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: iPad 3, anyone planning to get one?

Blog Entries

iPad 3, anyone planning to get one?

I have been sitting on the fence about buying my first tablet... Android or Apple... and now I am on the fence over iPad 2 or The New iPad (iPad 3)as they are calling it. How about you, have you been waiting to buy a tablet?

Blog Entries
    I had the Ipad 1 and sold it to buy the Ipad 2 now seriously thinking of selling this one for the 3. However, they are going so inexpensively on ebay $320/up, it may not be worth it. I live with mine. It is fantastic. I go to sleep watching movies
    while hubs sleeps. So great!

Blog Entries
    I-Pad3??? Wow! What's the difference with the new model? I'm posting this from my Kindle Fire, an LOVE the freedom it gives me, and the price is so reasonable. However, I have thought about getting an Ipad for when I want a bigger screen. I'm going to watch this post.

Blog Entries
    I've been tempted. When I did some research, I found this very helpful comparison chart http://www.tabletpccomparison.net/
    Of course, the iPad3 is too new to be on it.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    DH asked me if I wanted one. His work uses them, all the employees have access to Ipads. My Kindle Fire does everything I want. I watch movies and you tube quilt videos. I can watch all the online quilt shows, open up files, browse the web, and check email. It fits in my purse and easy to carry. I have the old book cover and it looks just like an old book. My laptop is new and I use it for EQ7 and downloading patterns etc.
    The Ipads are super nice and any version is worth having.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    thanks for that link... good thoughts to ponder
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000 View Post
    I had the Ipad 1 and sold it to buy the Ipad 2 now seriously thinking of selling this one for the 3. However, they are going so inexpensively on ebay $320/up, it may not be worth it…
    Yes, the day they announced the new iPad, Apple dropped the iPad 2 down by $100. If I had bought the iPad 2 last week (which I almost did), its value would have immediately dropped. Technology is so strange the way it goes up and down so quickly! LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Let's see... with 6 reasons to buy and only 5 not to buy... I guess that leaves it in favor of buying!

A few things not mentioned in this article are online security and additional storage space. Bella, does your Kindle Fire have wireless and/or 3g? I can see the convenience of the size of the Kindle Fire for carrying around and holding also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I've been tempted. When I did some research, I found this very helpful comparison chart http://www.tabletpccomparison.net/
    Of course, the iPad3 is too new to be on it.
    Great chart!

Blog Entries
    Have always wondered do these devices add to your monthly cable bill -- (shows how much I know about them).

Quote Originally Posted by grocifer View Post
    Have always wondered do these devices add to your monthly cable bill -- (shows how much I know about them).
    No....most are just Wi-Fi so if you have Wi-Fi in your house already, nothing will change. I think right now the IPad is the only one with 3G options, not sure if it is like my Kindle where I have access to any service or if it is an extra charge with a certain carrier.

As for the OP question, I opted for the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet. I just don't like the restrictions you have with Apple's OS. I love my tablet! My daughter loves my tablet because of the Zoodles Kid Mode I put on it. lol I would just research and see what fits your lifestyle and wants. Then go to a store like Best Buy to look at them and compare size and screen display.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post

As for the OP question, I opted for the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet. I just don't like the restrictions you have with Apple's OS.
    What restrictions are there with Apple's OS?

I do have to laugh at myself. Frequently I will spend time research a tablet and announce to my DH 'for sure I am going to get... ', only to research a different tablet another day and be convinced that 'it' is the best. Trouble is that not one tablet has it all together. If they could just put their efforts together and combine all the best features, it would help me tremendously! LOL

Great advice mentioned on here a few times about going to BestBuy and playing with all of them to see which you think you would like the best.
    Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 03-09-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    This might seem a silly question but. Can you watch movies on a tablet? Do you have to pay to watch a movie? If so approx how much does it cost, I would love to be able to watch movies as I don't sleep very well

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaiarigby View Post
    This might seem a silly question but. Can you watch movies on a tablet? Do you have to pay to watch a movie? If so approx how much does it cost, I would love to be able to watch movies as I don't sleep very well

I believe that if you have a Netflix account you can watch movies. Or maybe you can watch movies through the Kindle app on a tablet. So much to learn... it boggles my mind sometimes.

Blog Entries
    If you want the iPad 3 I've heard there is already a long waiting list and they are back ordered. It has a cool stylus; the end looks like a paint brush; I think you have to buy it as an option.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    I believe that if you have a Netflix account you can watch movies. Or maybe you can watch movies through the Kindle app on a tablet. So much to learn... it boggles my mind sometimes.
    You can watch movies on the Nook Color and the Nook Tablet and I think the simple touch.
    Judy

I use my Apple I-pad daily. I use it most of the time when I read this site. I will up grade from my 1 to 3 in the very near future. For me this system is so user friendly. I'm looking forward to the Skype and camera options which my #1 does not have. I even bought a book for dummies for the I-pad2, so I'm prepared when I get my new device. The capabilities are close to the #2, major difference is the resolution and picture clarify on the screen, plus it has something-4, which is is faster on line speed. This will be my next investment for sure.

Blog Entries
    My husband and I have the Galaxy tablet 7" and love them. We use them A LOT. I even bought a vera bradley small hipster bag that it will fit in it perfectly. Now i can carry it every where with me lol. I tried for months to make a bag that i would like for it, but none of them seemed to work well. But the vera hipster did!

Good luck. It is a hard decision to make when it comes to the tablets.

I'm posting from my iPad 3 and I love it! My DH has an iPad 2 and he never puts it down, so I decided to treat myself to a new one. I am really happy so far. The screen resolution is amazing and the quilt pictures on here are incredible.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    We have the Ipad 2 & 3.. its funny we can 'facetime' pad to pad and pad to phone... Hubby lives on his.. I use mine from time time.. I got his 2 hand me down when his 3 came in.. Im not complaing.. its great to keep my lil one occupied..

Blog Entries
    My DH just surprised me with the new I-Pad 3 for our 37th anniversary. Funny, I am not really what you would call "computer literate"-more "computer challenged", so it is a bit much for me at this point. I had actually "hinted" that I wanted the Kindle Fire so I could read in bed and download books instead of buying them since we travel overseas twice a year. Never did I expect he would do this. Once my youngest son (26) saw it, he played with it, and taught me how to use some of it. He loved it so much, he asked me to leave it home when I go overseas next month!! FAT CHANCE I told him! Today, I find out DH actually bought 2 of them (pre-ordered), the other for my sister who didn't even ask for it. He thought she might want it, but she hasn't confirmed. Sooooo- my son just bought it from my DH!!! He has Netflex on his for a monthly fee like $7.99 or so, and he downloaded it on my I-pad so I can use his password and also watch all these free movies and TV shows for no extra charge. He downloaded a program called "Pandora" which has all the free music I want-really neat. I just have to learn how to use it on this board! I imagine I will be learning how to use it for some months to come! I still use my laptop for my e-mails and the Quiltingboard, though!

I have an Ipad 2 and love love it! I consulted a good friend of mine who convinced me to buy it and I figured that he would upgrad AGAIN to the new Ipad...he is not. He felt that the screen clarity,etc was targeting "gamers" of which we are not. So, I figure if HE was staying put for now...I would too.

BUT, my hubby asked me if I was going to buy the new one for myself so that I would give him my current Ipad2. hmmm...our anniversary is looming sooo I am thinking of buying the latest Ipad for HIM. He does not have a tablet yet and since his remark...perhaps he wants one now. I did mention to him that I would buy one for him for our anniversary and now I think, he is going to start "shopping" and comparing the tablets on the market to see which one he really wants. He is an IT professional so I will sit tight until he tells me which tablet he really wants for himself. ah, nothing is simple is it? Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    OK, I have studied and studied which tablet has all that I want... and can't really make up my mind.

So, yesterday I ordered a Kindle Keyboard wi-fi/3g. I got it for $100 tax and all, free shipping. I figure that will hold me while I continue to watch the tablet competition. Can't wait for it to arrive!

i think ipads 1 2 3 are way to high i just baught a coby kyros internet tablet more my price. it does every thing i need to do email. ebay. quilt board.craigslist. games. you tube videos.
    ​debra