iPad Info

Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 AM

I like the iPad & might get one when my computer needs replaced.Have several questions I can't find answers to.I'd love to hear from owners & how the iPad works for you.Do you find it easier to use the puter for surfing quilt sites?

When I come to this or other quilting boards, can I save the site in favs? Or do I need to Google it each time? What about blogs? Same question, can they be saved? What about quilt patterns ? Can I save PDFs? Is it easy to save pictures?

OK...enough for now...as you see I have lots of ???? :)
Old 05-27-2011, 03:09 AM

My DD and SIL both have iPads (I don't) but from what they've told me, you can't use a flash drive, cd or dvd on it,.
I don't know about saving a site. It has icons on the screen but I think those are all from Apple apps that they use.
And the iPads they have don't have a camera, but I've heard the newer ones will.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 AM

I have one, and love it, but it is NOT a "replacement" for a PC. For one thing, there is no hard drive storage. The only programs you load are Apple "aps" - nothing dynamic like Word or Excel. If there is a "favorites" for web browsing, I've not found it except ... when you pull up Safari you have the option of keeping your last site or deleting it (you can have several sites 'saved' and choose them just by opening that particular window).

Mine is more for convenience. I have a desktop in the office but wanted a laptop for when I am not in the office. After checking out the laptops I discovered that the Ipad has a much longer battery life than most of the laptops. It's also more convenient to travel with.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:19 AM

Apples and iPads Bokmarks, rather than favorites. But, they are the same thing. This article might help you in setting that up:

http://www.padgadget.com/2010/05/05/...bookmarks-bar/

So, yes, you can save favorites or Bookmarks of websites you visit most often. However, iPads use a mobile browser so not all sites will look right and some can't be viewed at all. For most sites, this is NOT an issue. We have both an original iPad and iPad 2. They are great. But, this was never meant to replace a computer.

If you can, go to an Apple store and play with one and ask lots of questions. The employees are great and can tell you exactly what you need to know.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:38 AM

Is the iPad running flash yet? If not some graphics and websites wont load right.
On safari on my iPhone I can save websites, so you should be able to on the iPad.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

If you're wanting the use of a computer ... perhaps a NetBook would be more of what you need to consider?
Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 AM

I sync my iPad to my Mac, and I can save and use all my bookmarks that are on my computer. It works a little differently on a PC, but yes you can have favorites. This is not a replacement for a computer, but I have my magazines, can surf, have all of my ebooks, some of my quilting videos and email and all that stuff. I have music too. I used mine for school and have apples version of word and excel, and have a recording program for taking notes. I use mine all the time, but it does not replace my computer. I typed this on it :-)
Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 AM

I'm sorry I didn't say, I'm on MacBook now....so Apple isn't a complete shock :) DD uses iPad almost all the time.She lives in another state.She bought another key board for it, but seldom uses it....so guess who will be getting that?

We don't travel a lot anymore,but know it'll be great to use when we are away,or just on the porch in summer.My Mac is used mostly for surfing & E mail....so don't need it for business.

Thanks to everyone who responded.There's nothing like getting info from ppl who own/use these gadgets.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:27 AM

For sure.....DD's e mail is short since she got iPad....A couple sentences is about her limit.That's ok, I need to cut back on my chatter.

Originally Posted by DesiG
I sync my iPad to my Mac, and I can save and use all my bookmarks that are on my computer. It works a little differently on a PC, but yes you can have favorites. This is not a replacement for a computer, but I have my magazines, can surf, have all of my ebooks, some of my quilting videos and email and all that stuff. I have music too. I used mine for school and have apples version of word and excel, and have a recording program for taking notes. I use mine all the time, but it does not replace my computer. I typed this on it :-)
Old 05-27-2011, 10:29 AM

I had & sold a new netbook.Thanks for the info, but for whatever reason, it just didn't suit me.When/if I get ready to buy, a trip to the experts will be the way to go.