Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: iPad question

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,929

    iPad question

    Reading the board on iPad.....going to suggested sites....suddenly safari tells me no internet connection and turn off airplane mode....so I go to settings and turn it off....I never turned it on! Then I see my internet connection name being set and I'm back on track.......what/why did it do this....has done this probably 3/4 times on last three yrs......anyone out here know answer,,,,curiouser and curiouser, as Alice would say.......

  2. #2
    Super Member mermaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tennessee, UC area
    Posts
    1,350
    Never used the airplane mode--never had this happen--had mine about the same length of time. You might as at the Apple site..I have the site saved 'somewhere' --(too many laptops to turn on right now). But start with a question to
    http://forums.techguy.org/ I call this my computer bible. They might be able to answer for you. Otherwise, Apple has a site that you can search all kinds of info re the iPad.

  3. #3
    Super Member Jeanne S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    4,254
    I have had this happen a couple of times too, don't have a clue why. I just did what you did, reset for wifi and carried on.

  4. #4
    Super Member Maggiemay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,536
    Sometimes when my iPad acts screwy I turn it off for a few minutes then back on. That usually helps.

  5. #5
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    36,488
    Do you have your wifi connection locked so no one else can use it? You may be getting interferance or your wifi may have had an interruption in it. It sometimes happens to mine and I do have mine locked. I do need to get a new wifi hub thingy for mine though. Like my technical term? if it gets worse, you made need to reset your ipad by turning it completely off and letting it restart.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Trisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    450
    Do you have grandkids? Sometimes after my grands have been over, my ipad goes haywire!!

  7. #7
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,320
    When I shut my Moto G off, there is a choice for "Airplane mode" or "shutting down". I have to be careful what I touch if I want to completely turn it off.

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,803
    I don't have an Ipad, but on my laptop when I want to turn off the sound, the button is next to the airplane mode button and if I do not pay attention or am surfing in the dark, I push the wrong button (or touch both in the middle) and on goes the airplane mode. You might check to see where the button is on the ipad. You might be pushing it without knowing it.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    75
    You know the screen thing that comes up when you swipe from the bottom, it's gray and only a small part of the screen? Could you be hitting airplane mode in that and not realizing it? You can do all sorts of things from that screen and I have hit things I did not mean to before.

  10. #10
    Super Member coopah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Horse Country, FL
    Posts
    7,270
    Blog Entries
    1
    Lately I've had some iPad difficulty and have shut it down completely, let it rest, then turned it back on. This has been going on for about a week and 2 to 3 times a day. One thing that does help is closing down anything else that's open. Like the threads I look at on this board, then go to another thread. I hope you find your problem quickly. Technology is great when it works correctly.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    825
    I put airplane mode on when I would face huge roaming charges on my smart phone when out of my calling area. This eliminates calls and texts. However, I go into settings and simply turn wifi back on. Airplane mode can be on but you can still use free wifi hotspots when you turn the wifi setting back on. Email works well.

  12. #12
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    7,663
    Blog Entries
    1
    After several weeks of funky running on my iPad, I went to settings and dumped the history, and no more issues. Try it?
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,929
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    After several weeks of funky running on my iPad, I went to settings and dumped the history, and no more issues. Try it?

    Yes, I do have a grand who "plays" on iPad.......and the magic of turning it off, count to 10, then on again works too.....how do I clear my history.....that may work too...... These things are fun, but they can be scary too!!

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,615
    How do you turn the I-pad off for a few minutes?

  15. #15
    Super Member judy363905's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Trisher View Post
    Do you have grandkids? Sometimes after my grands have been over, my ipad goes haywire!!
    Oh yes...I hide IPad and iPhone. As I found 10 selfies not too long ago...no big deal. ..but I like boundaries.

    Judy in Ohx, AZ

  16. #16
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    7,663
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by happylab View Post
    How do you turn the I-pad off for a few minutes?
    Press and hold the off switch for a couple seconds and an icon will come up that you swipe from left to right. Turns it completely off. You should do this with all tablets and cell phones for 30 seconds once a month. This is for all cell phones and tablets not just apple products. Each time you do, it allows the onboard computer to reset and update as it needs to for optimal operation.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

  17. #17
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    7,663
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Yes, I do have a grand who "plays" on iPad.......and the magic of turning it off, count to 10, then on again works too.....how do I clear my history.....that may work too...... These things are fun, but they can be scary too!!
    To clear your history on an iPad- go to settings click on it, scroll down the left side until you see safari and click it. When it opens, scroll down the right side until you see "clear all history and website data, and click it. I will warn you that after you do this, you may have to re enter your passwords on any site that you have saved a password for. Doesn't't affect all of them, but just wanted to warn you. Make sure you know your passwords before you do this, just in case.
    Turn your iPad off and wait 30 seconds, then turn it back on. You will be amazed. It is like having a brand new iPad! Everything works like it used to.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,929
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    Press and hold the off switch for a couple seconds and an icon will come up that you swipe from left to right. Turns it completely off. You should do this with all tablets and cell phones for 30 seconds once a month. This is for all cell phones and tablets not just apple products. Each time you do, it allows the onboard computer to reset and update as it needs to for optimal operation.
    Great hint...thanks will add this to my to do list

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,929
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    To clear your history on an iPad- go to settings click on it, scroll down the left side until you see safari and click it. When it opens, scroll down the right side until you see "clear all history and website data, and click it. I will warn you that after you do this, you may have to re enter your passwords on any site that you have saved a password for. Doesn't't affect all of them, but just wanted to warn you. Make sure you know your passwords before you do this, just in case.
    Turn your iPad off and wait 30 seconds, then turn it back on. You will be amazed. It is like having a brand new iPad! Everything works like it used to.
    ...wow. And this one I'm going to print out!

    Btw... I hate passwords..I keep forgetting which one -where.....

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    Posts
    1,966
    This happens regularly to my iPad. I shut off the power, count to ten and start up again. Always solves the issue.

  21. #21
    Super Member Caswews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Posts
    5,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Do you have your wifi connection locked so no one else can use it? You may be getting interferance or your wifi may have had an interruption in it. It sometimes happens to mine and I do have mine locked. I do need to get a new wifi hub thingy for mine though. Like my technical term? if it gets worse, you made need to reset your ipad by turning it completely off and letting it restart.
    ____________________________________________
    I completely agree here .. make sure your wifi is either password protected or locked. When mine acts up I just shut it down for a while and do something else.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

  22. #22
    Super Member coopah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Horse Country, FL
    Posts
    7,270
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks, Madame Kelley, for the information on how to clear the history on the iPad. I knew about shutting it off and resetting it, but not how to go to settings and clear the history. Thanks!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

  23. #23
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    7,663
    Blog Entries
    1
    You're welcome, someone told me how, and I believe in pay it forward, so go find a question to answer for another. Lol!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.