Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPad

iPad

I can't seem to work out the difference between a iPad with wi-fi
    and one that has wi-fi and cellular

there is a hundred bucks difference, but I don't want to buy cheap and then regret it either.

Can someone explain the difference please?

You might want to discuss it with your dealer but according to my daughter, with just wi fi you are going through wi fi like at Starbucks and your system at home. With cellular you are going thru the data available with your cel phone provider. So if you have limited data on your cel phone - it would eat into that available data.

We started out with just wifi, but quickly decided we needed the 4G. Not everyplace you go to has free wifi. It's also a great GPS, I like it much better than the GPS in our car. There's lots of advantages if you can afford the difference. Remember, there's also a monthly charge that goes along with the iPad if you get the 4G.

Blog Entries
    I realized the difference when I took my wi-fi only iPad to a restaurant. Could not look up anything on the Internet. However, I could look up info on the net using my iPhone. If my iPad had cellular and I hooked it up to my T-Mobile cell phone account, I would be able to access the Internet anywhere my iPhone can access the Internet because I would have cellular data available to me when wi-fi isn't available. If I wanted to, I could use a cable to connect my iPad to my iPhone to allow my iPad to access my cellular network, but nobody (except college students on a budget) wants to do it that way. If I had it to do over again, I would have paid $100 more for cellular. It's not something I would use often, but would be very nice to have. iPads last for many, many years so the investment is amortized over time.

I have a Galaxy and didn't realize I was tied into a contract with the monthly fee for the 4G. I rarely use the tablet so I am giving Verizon $10 a month for nothing!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Wifi is a wireless network that connects to the internet. Although a few places charge for WiFi, it is usually free, but not always available. Cellular service is usually available, but it always comes at a price, and the price usually depends on the amount of data you are transmitting. Using cellular for voice and texting is low volume and therefore relatively cheap, but the rates for data can be quite high depending on the volume. I would definitely pay the extra $100 for the ability to use cellular, even if I didn't need it right now, because as Prism pointed out there may be times when WiFi is not available and you want to use your iPad to connect to the internet. However, be sure to look for a cellular service that fits your needs. You may want a pay-as-you-go plan rather than a contract. And if free WiFi is available, you will probably want to connect to it rather than to cellular.

i use my cell phone with unlimited data as a wireless network router and hook up my wifi devices to it when free wifi is unavailable. works great

Blog Entries
    I also use my cellphone as a hotspot to connect my husband's WiFi -only
    tablet to the internet when WiFi is unavailable. Done wirelessly. However does use up some data on my plan so he uses it sparingly. I don't have unlimited data. I think both devices use up data that way also.

Thank you. Thank you!

Now that we are retired we are on the road more and just cannot read the phone screens well at all and pecking out search words is like something from a TV comedy. Hence the Ipad because we have Iphones and the service would be bundled.
    We are buying the iPad outright at costco so we don't have that as part of our cell phone/internet payment, adding the owned ipad will add $10.00 a month to our service fees. I can live with that.

Thank you all for so clearly saying what I didn't understand in person

Blog Entries
    Yes, you definitely want cellular on the iPad if you will be using it on the road!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
    I have a Galaxy and didn't realize I was tied into a contract with the monthly fee for the 4G. I rarely use the tablet so I am giving Verizon $10 a month for nothing!
    You might want to talk to someone at your local store. You can usually disconnect the $10/month once the Galaxy is paid off.

Can someone explain to me how to connect the IPAD to the Iphone in order to use the cellular network from the phone? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnette View Post
    Can someone explain to me how to connect the IPAD to the Iphone in order to use the cellular network from the phone? Thanks.
    I believe it's the same cord that you use to charge the iPhone. Instead of connecting the other end to the charger, you connect it to the iPad. I will wait to hear what the experts say, though.

After reading the posts here, I came to the realization that all I have to do is keep an extra cord in the glove compartment of the car; then I can use the iPad in restaurants, in the car for GPS, etc. I knew this was possible, but until now I didn't realize that it is such a simple solution to implement. This is especially true for me since I am in the process of adding dual car chargers to all of the family cars (so we can charge our variety of Apple and android products while on the road), which means I will already have the cables in the cars for the chargers!

The cables are about $20 in the Apple store. I decided awhile back to use only the genuine Apple cables, even though they are 3 times as expensive as the ones I can get on Amazon. I'm thinking it's cheap insurance that the cable won't fry my phone.

Edit: I found this Youtube video that may help:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3HHPEQvsH0

Edit2: Ooh-ooh!!! Found this article that explains some of the pros and cons of tethering iPad/iPhone via USB vs bluetooth. Seems like there is always something new to learn about these new-fangled things!
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1159...tethering.html
    Last edited by Prism99; 06-20-2015 at 09:34 AM.

I bought a table but I don't take it with me on the go so I am happy with the wireless in my home.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I have an iPhone and an iPad with data capabilities. I find a lot of the time the free wifi is very very slow. And then I want the 4g or LTE which speeds things up considerably.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I have a kindle. I was able to connect to the internet on a plane. I also used it in Myrtle Beach when I visited my friend. I did my banking and got all my email. she doesn't like anyone using her computer. I download my books from Amazon. I like my kindle to read in bed because you can turn the light off in the room because of the light on the kindle. No monthly bill. I use my desk top computer at home to do the internet. I have a portable phone only for phone calls. Wifi is find for me.

Blog Entries
    One thing to realize about wi-fi only is that it won't work for GPS. I LOVE the GPS on my iPhone as it has helped me a couple of times to navigate detours around unexpected construction at night. Saved me a lot if anxiety and time. Cellular access is needed if you want to use GPS on a device.

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    Thank you. Thank you!

Now that we are retired we are on the road more and just cannot read the phone screens well at all and pecking out search words is like something from a TV comedy. Hence the Ipad because we have Iphones and the service would be bundled.
    We are buying the iPad outright at costco so we don't have that as part of our cell phone/internet payment, adding the owned ipad will add $10.00 a month to our service fees. I can live with that.

Thank you all for so clearly saying what I didn't understand in person
    our Costco didn't have the iPad with cellular. We had to go to our carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by johnette View Post
    iPhone 6 has a personal hotspot under settings. Turn that on and it gives you a password that you type your iPad under wifi. Then you can use your iPad like you do at home with wifi. Just remember to turn the personal hotspot off on your iPhone.

An iPad with just wifi must have a wifi connection to search the Internet, maps, Netflix, etc. If you also have cellular, you can use it anywhere to search for information, however, you must also have a cellular service like you do for your cell phone so not only does it initially cost more, you also have a monthly service fee.

Blog Entries
    Wifi only means you can only get on the internet when there's wifi available. Wifi plus cellualar digital means wifi and anywhere there's cellular reception. So you are limited if you just buy the wifi. When you sell it, you will get more money and have more 'takers' with both. We use ours when traveling and use it for maps, email, anything we need. Good luck with your decision. I, personally, would not want to be limited in its use.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I have only an IPad, no smart phone. I have my own data plan on my iPad so at home I use it on my wifi and in the car its cellular data. Works for me. I do have a cell phone but it's an old fashioned flip phone. I'd rather have the bigger screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    our Costco didn't have the iPad with cellular. We had to go to our carrier.
    rolls eyes..big box stores Ours had a sign in the middle of the table which said wi-fi + cellular for the Air 2.
    But..the info sheet by the machine itself said no such thing. So I filled out the request slip and when to check out...carpola, you know how busy costcos are. I explained to the clerk I wanted to be sure I was getting wifi + cellular, to be sure and check the actual packaging when they got it out of lock out.

Then ensued long conversations with them getting louder and louder and me getting that anxious gut feeling because I knew the people behind me we all rolling Their eyes... when the clerk finally came back from lock up she said they were wifi only. I took her word for it and nearly ran out of the store. I hate shopping for things anyway, and I really hate shopping when it gets complicated.

New master plan, next time I'm in Portland I'll go to Best Buy and get one

thanks again for all the information everyone has shared! Sharyn

You would be better off to go to an Apple Store. much more knowledgable, plus they set it all up for you and teach you how to use it. I would never get it from COSTco or Best Buy. I'm sure there is an Apple Store in Portland. You will be much happier.

Blog Entries
    You might be surprised at how good Best Buy is these days. Very knowledgeable and they have free classes to help you get started with new purchases. Sales people are well trained and do not work on commission. Our Best Buy tends to have a calm and patient atmosphere compared to the Apple Store, which can be quite frenetic. It's worth a visit, at the very least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast