Ironing Board suggestions?

Old 08-25-2012, 09:31 AM

Default Ironing Board suggestions?

I need an ironing board. It needs to be sturdy. I have a good fiberglass cover so it needs to be a standard sized board. Does anyone have suggestions for a good brand to buy? I use it for quilt piecing, garment construction and sometimes I actually iron clothes!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:41 AM

I have been searching for one -- not happy with any I have found except the one JoAnn Fabrics sells for $99. It will be included in the 50% off notions wall this coming week end so I'm going to buy one. If I am not happy with it back it goes!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:07 AM

After being disappointed multiple times. I gave up trying to find a good sturdy ironing board. I finally took the advice a several people on this board and made my own.
All it takes is a piece of thick plywood, a couple of layers of cotton batting, some sturdy fabric and tacks. Then you can put the board on any table or other sturdy surface. Works great.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:06 AM

I have a little cheap ironning board from K-Marts that fits over the door for those things that aren't too big. I also have one almost like it built into it's own little closet but it's in another room away from my sewing; that's why I bought the 2nd one. I also have a thin piece of board that is used on the outside of cabinets and I covered it with batting and muslin and I put a wire on the back so that I can hang it up. So now I have a small design wall when I don't need it to put on a counter/table to iron larger items.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:41 AM

My husband built me a board and put folfing legs on it. With several medical problems it is hard for me to press my tops and things so we made it a bit larger than some. I have not measured it or used it yet but as soon as I do I will post.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:02 AM

My DH made me one, 24X48, I covered it with batting and silver ironing board fabric. I have it on the end of my large cutting table, which is 2 30X72 tables together on risers. It works perfectly and I can remove it easily if I need the whole table.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:06 PM

Someone on this cite recommended Walmart to me a few months back. Go on line @ Walmart Ironing Boards Model BRD-01957. Price $54.97, on sale now for $43.47 + tax. Shipping is free ii shipped to nearest store for pick up. It's well worth it. I boughtg one and love it. A little big, but great when pressing large quilt tops and yardage after washing. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 PM

I have the big one from Walmart and I really like it. Seems like I paid around $40 for it. The cover on it is really cheap but they sell a nicer one that fits it so it makes it really nice.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:15 AM

I purchase my irons from garage sales, and usually don't pay more than $1.00 for them!! I have found some old ones that are very sturdy. I keep two of them at home and at my cabin for when I have friends over to sew.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:07 AM

Default Ironing board

If you go to a house auction you can pick up a ironing board for only a few dollars. Also can get sewing machines and other sewing items sometimes for a very low price. They are very fun to go to and you never know what you can find.