Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61

Thread: Ironing

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Conifer, CO
    Posts
    86
    Hello. Does anyone hang their sheets on the line and then bring them in an iron them. Just wanted to know. I have been doing this for years and sure can't wait to put them back on the bed. Is anyone else as crazy as I am? Just doing what my Mom used to do.

  2. #2
    Super Member mollymct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    2,348
    :oops: I never iron sheets.

    I love line-dried sheets, but don't have a clothesline. My mom used one when I was growing up. I'm afraid I often have wrinkly sheets! I DO iron my clothes and I'll iron the bedskirt. For sheets, I just let the wrinkles "fall out."

  3. #3
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,451
    Blog Entries
    20
    My grandma starched and iron every sheet. ugh!!!!!

    I line dry mine, but I don't press them. I put them right on the bed.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    I haven't ironed sheet in years! I don't mind ironing clothes tho' (too much!).

  5. #5
    Super Member quiltingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    1,042
    Blog Entries
    1
    No do not iron sheets. To much work. The only thing I do like to iron is a almost finished quilt.

  6. #6
    Super Member quiltsRfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8,095
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love line dried sheets but never iron. I figure they get wrinkled once I sleep on them anyway. :)

  7. #7
    Super Member CoventryUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    3,056
    I only iron essentials! (FABRIC!!!!!!) I do occassionally iron hubbies shirts!! :thumbup:

  8. #8
    Super Member ladyredhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    kingston, OK
    Posts
    1,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    not able to any more, but there is nothing like the smell of a sheet that has been genly blown dry in the wind. Has to be a wendy day so you don't have to iron it.

  9. #9
    Super Member Chasing Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,632
    I had a neighbor who ironed her sheets. But the oddest thing I ever seen was my Uncle Randy, he would iron his boxers.....LOL

    lightly starched.....LMAO

  10. #10
    Senior Member Twilliebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    555
    That's what I do in the summertime. In the winter everything freezes solid and doesn't dry, so I resort to the dryer then. And I love a freshly ironed sheet, although sometimes I don't bother. I always iron the pillowcases, though. And yes, just doing what my mom used to do.......and still does for that matter. Cheers!

  11. #11
    Junior Member gingerella's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by vhiggason
    Hello. Does anyone hang their sheets on the line and then bring them in an iron them. Just wanted to know. I have been doing this for years and sure can't wait to put them back on the bed. Is anyone else as crazy as I am? Just doing what my Mom used to do.
    I always hang my sheets on the line, and yes, I do iron them. At least I iron the top and pillow slips. The fitted bottom is just too difficult to do.

    Actually, we use twin duvet covers for our twin size comforters, and we sleep on a king size mattress. So it is the duvet covers I iron.

    Well, let me qualify that. I have an old fashioned "Ironite" mangle and I use that to do my ironing. I iron EVERYTHING that needs ironing, which means that I iron all my husband's shirts and cotton slacks and all my own clothes as well.

    My REAL iron is in my sewing room, and there it stays to iron my blocks.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rockford, Illnois
    Posts
    402
    I used to spend summers with my grandmother. Thursday was laundry day. We used to bring in the fresh bedding from the line and she would then sit at her steam presser. I'd sit there with her while she put the sheets through, I love the fresh smell. I get that same fresh smell when I press the cottons for my quilts.

  13. #13
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Iron sheets, never in a million years, what a thankless task that is, you no sooner jump in bed and they are all creased again. I can think of much better things to do with my time.

    I know a lot of people do love ironing and I lived beside someone who ironed socks and panties, I thought she was mad.

    Elle

  14. #14
    Junior Member gingerella's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Iron sheets, never in a million years, what a thankless task that is, you no sooner jump in bed and they are all creased again. I can think of much better things to do with my time.

    I know a lot of people do love ironing and I lived beside someone who ironed socks and panties, I thought she was mad.

    Elle
    Oh Elle, of course it's a thankless job !! But if you are retired, do not have small children to raise, have a mangle to do the crumby work, and most of all, if you really love getting into a really nicely made bed with smooth sheets and a pillow slip so nice against your face, well, what the hey??? Besides, it only takes me about 30 minutes each week to do all the ironing for the house. We use cloth napkins each meal as well. But as I say, if you have a mangle and don't mind doing laundry in the first place, it's no work to sit in front of a mangle and go for it.

    Basically, what I'm saying is I enjoy doing it. But not with an iron. No way. Ever.

  15. #15
    Super Member quiltsRfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8,095
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    I know a lot of people do love ironing and I lived beside someone who ironed socks and panties, I thought she was mad.Elle
    Socks and panties! No way!

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Paige, Texas
    Posts
    1,116
    My mom went back to hanging up her sheets and towels

  17. #17
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Donīt have a mangle but by the expensive sheets with Percal in them, they wash beautifully and really donīt need to be ironed. Its been so hot here has been 110, that when they come off the clothes line they are pretty good, I always smooth them out first when I hang them up. Just hate ironing, I do it but with a reluctance. LOL

  18. #18
    Super Member CoventryUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    3,056
    Socks and pants!!!!! Get a life!! Become a QUILTER!!!! Join the BOARD!!

  19. #19
    Panther Creek Quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Missouri Backwoods
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    I know a lot of people do love ironing and I lived beside someone who ironed socks and panties, I thought she was mad.Elle
    Socks and panties! No way!
    I second that one! No way I am doing sock and undies!

  20. #20
    Junior Member mardilee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pentwater, MI
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerella
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Iron sheets, never in a million years, what a thankless task that is, you no sooner jump in bed and they are all creased again. I can think of much better things to do with my time.

    I know a lot of people do love ironing and I lived beside someone who ironed socks and panties, I thought she was mad.

    Elle
    Oh Elle, of course it's a thankless job !! But if you are retired, do not have small children to raise, have a mangle to do the crumby work, and most of all, if you really love getting into a really nicely made bed with smooth sheets and a pillow slip so nice against your face, well, what the hey??? Besides, it only takes me about 30 minutes each week to do all the ironing for the house. We use cloth napkins each meal as well. But as I say, if you have a mangle and don't mind doing laundry in the first place, it's no work to sit in front of a mangle and go for it.

    Basically, what I'm saying is I enjoy doing it. But not with an iron. No way. Ever.
    Do they still make mangles? A neighbor gave me her old one 40 years ago and I loved it.

  21. #21
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,925
    Blog Entries
    2
    I found my visiting SIL ironing her hubby's underwear and handkerchiefs one day. I bet she irons sheets too!!

  22. #22
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,957
    ironing my fabric is as far as I go.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oh.
    Posts
    798
    Ironing is no longer an essential in my house. I have passed the 3/4 Century mark and my time is too valuable, let alone the fact that my years are now on "run down" and every spare moment I have is spent in my sewing room making quilts for those who "know" all too well that their time is more limited than mine. People with AIDS don't always have a lot of options and now that some states are limited funding for their medication, I suspect their lives will not be improved. My quilts bring a spot of Joy into their lives (or so I am told) so who cares about ironing when you can help make someone's day a bit brighter?

    Ironing is just one more BAD HABIT i don't need!

    June

  24. #24
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    Ironing is no longer an essential in my house. I have passed the 3/4 Century mark and my time is too valuable, let alone the fact that my years are now on "run down" and every spare moment I have is spent in my sewing room making quilts for those who "know" all too well that their time is more limited than mine. People with AIDS don't always have a lot of options and now that some states are limited funding for their medication, I suspect their lives will not be improved. My quilts bring a spot of Joy into their lives (or so I am told) so who cares about ironing when you can help make someone's day a bit brighter?

    June I couldnīt have said it better. Thats how I feel, there are much more important things in life to do than ironing. I(f you think that spending 1hr or so standing their ironing is great than fine by me just donīt expect me to do it.

    Elle

    Ironing is just one more BAD HABIT i don't need!

    June

  25. #25
    Super Member Lisanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Donīt have a mangle but by the expensive sheets with Percal in them, they wash beautifully and really donīt need to be ironed.
    Do you mean percale? That's not a fabric fiber, it's a type of weave. Percale sheets were the best, but they haven't made them in the last decade or so, at least not here in the USA. Instead, they upped the thread count because that's what sold.

    I haven't liked any of the sheets from recent years and would dearly love to find some percales again. Do they still sell them where you are? I'd come to Spain just to buy some!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.