Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: itchy dog

My dog started the scratching and it was bad, she was making sores all over her. I tried everything I could think of before taking her to the vet. She's already on a special diet due to bladder stones (don't want to pay for that surgery again). He said it was allergies and gave her a steroid shot. It's been 3 months and she has started to scratch again. Vet also said food allergies affect the ears, the dogs will scratch at their ears and get ear infections with food allergies.
    Sharyl

Blog Entries
    I had a little chihuahua mix who scratched all the time. I gave him flax seed oil and brewers yeast once a day and he cleared up. Then had a big black cat that lost all of his hair. His skin was clear and smooth. Vet gave him thyroid meds and he grew all his hair back. Have a long hair siamese who pulls out her hair. We have no idea why she started this. My husband shaved her for the summer and decided to let her grow back her hair for winter. Yep, she is pulling it out again. She doesn't scratch or have flakey or oil skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I adopted a dog from the human society. Since I got him home he is constantly itching.
    I've taken him to the vet and its not fleas or mites. Changed his diet to a lamb/rice but the itching continues.
    Tried oatmeal bath - no improvement. Has anyone had to deal with this and how did you solve the problem.
    this must be driving the poor guy crazy.
    He must likely has mange. My son got a shelter dog and spent $1400 days on this and that at the vet changing food and everything else. One day, the wife of a friend who had work for a vet saw the dog and said that it was mange. My son took the dog to the vet where she had worked and YES! That was it! A pill that costs $20 was the cure and the dog has been fine every since!
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Blog Entries
    My 9year old beagle has allergies, too... we've switched to lamb and rice... but the vet also recommends I give her one capsule of Omega 3-6-9 oil per day... After an initial steroid treatment (necessary when she was fairly acute), she's doing well and no more itching!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Our wonderful Soft-coated Wheaten terrier was allergic in his later years and our vet prescribed Temeril. It worked wonders; no scratching or chewing on his feet.

We had a Saint Bernard that had to take benedryl for allergies, a Maltese that nothing helped his allergies and a Doberman that had to have steroid shots for allergies. Frequently there are no answers.

Blog Entries
    Marilyn,
    Was your dog tested for hypothyroidism?? Your description of his symptoms - especially the bad smell- sure sounds like it. I had a friend with a dog that smelled so and itched so much they almost had her put down. Then they tried a new vet who tested for hypothyroidism. Sure enuf - it was very low. Put on thyroid med and the dog responded almost immediately - She lived a good like taking her thyroid meds.
    Lynne

Blog Entries
    Miss Moira came malnourished to point of starvation. She had dandruff the size of my thumbnail under a faded brown mat. I doused her in coconut oil - it helped her skin, but was impossible to wash out. It took Dawn dishwashing detergent to remove it and that seemed too harsh for her. Oxymed medicated shampoo and rinse were her salvation as far as the itching. You have leave each of them on the dog for three minutes, but it's worth it. Moira is half Border Collie with a silky, shiny black coat. Who would have guessed? When she was three she developed summer allergies. Two causes - 1) flea saliva so she on a very good flea preventative and 2) something that blooms in the grass on July 25th - 27th every year. Chlorotrimton is my doctor's drug of choice for the itching. He had just come from an allergy seminar and said it was felt to work better than Benedryl. We made it though this year with no fleas and not too much itching from the mystery weed. Salmon food seems to help, but she only needs it in the summer. Generic chlorotrimton is $4.99 for 100 with no shipping from Drs Smith and Foster.

For your recent rescue in a cold climate, I'd try the Oxymed shampoo and conditioner, 1000 mg of human grade fish oil daily and chlorotrimton as needed. I assume you've brushed out any dead undercoat. That seems to cause itching on both dogs and Lily has no skin problems. Fish oil helps both Moira and my son's yellow Lab. Food - the furgirls are fed 1/3 raw, 1/3 grain free, currently Taste of the Wild Salmon and 1/3 grained food, currently Blue Buffalo Simple (chicken and rice) with fewer ingredients. I rotate foods and protein sources to avoid allergies. Lily gets 4 raw eggs a week, Moira 3. Both get natural unsweetened yogurt every third day.

I hope you can help the furry one. Itching is so miserable.

I just read the other posts. Miss Moira can have no wheat, which means no treats except home made ones. Her Lab ears become inflamed after just one treat. Re: the chicken - vets look for a simple cure and chicken is an easy target, but for us meat proteins are not involved. pm me if you want my take on brands of dog food.

Both Lily and Moira are shelter dogs. Lily was a cowering, starved mess and Moira was given to me because the shelter didn't think she could survive. She weighed 13.4 pounds. Now she is a lean 34.5. She was not cowering, she crawled into my lap and looked up at me with those big brown eyes with her tail wagging. Her tail is still wagging!
    Last edited by irishrose; 11-28-2012 at 11:08 PM.

One of our past dogs had a simular problem. The vet had us give her a Bendril. She did stop the itch and redness. We continued the Bendril we did not see the red anymore. Then about once a year we had to give it to again.

Mine has allergies, as well. He takes steroid shots about once a month and prednisone pills as needed. I also bathe him in chlorhexidine. If I don't keep a really close watch on him, he gets the little sores on him and scratches himself until he bleeds. Poor babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I adopted a dog from the human society. Since I got him home he is constantly itching.
    I've taken him to the vet and its not fleas or mites. Changed his diet to a lamb/rice but the itching continues.
    Tried oatmeal bath - no improvement. Has anyone had to deal with this and how did you solve the problem.
    this must be driving the poor guy crazy.
    You've gotten a lot of really good advice here, but I have something that might help until you find out for sure what the real problem is. In the pharmacy department at Wal-Mart, you can buy a gallon of pure aloe vera juice. Get a spray bottle and fill it halfway with the aloe vera juice, and finish filling it with warm water. Spray the itchy areas with this mix, and it will go a long way toward soothing the itch. You can also mix camomile tea with his drinking water and it will help him to relax until he gets used to his new home, and will also help slow the frantic scratching. Hope this helps! :c)

Donna
    DonnaFreak

"Some days it's just not worth it to chew through the leather straps."

with my dog, he is always licking - my vet told me to give him benedryl.
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

Power Poster
    I delt with it daily..One of my Schnauzers has terrible allergies..He has scratched until he bled. I had him allergy tested and they found he is allergic to all grains which is in most ordinary dog foods..He now eats sweet potato and chicken. After about 6 weeks all the itching has stopped. He is a much happier dog and so am I happy...If you don;t want to allergy test which is expensive......(500 dollars or more) try giving brown rice and meat. I supplement his diet with a multivitamin. It will take at least one to three months after changing diet to get results but it is worth the effort for you and the dog.

The symptoms of mange depend on which type of mite is present. Demodectic mange tends to cause hair loss, bald spots, scabbing and sores. Secondary bacterial infections can make demodectic mange an itchy and uncomfortable disease.

Sarcoptic mange tends to cause intense itching. It can result in restlessness and frantic scratching, symptoms that generally appear one week after exposure. It also can result in hair loss, reddened skin, body sores and scabs. The most commonly affected areas are a dog’s ears, elbows, face and legs, but it can rapidly spread to the entire body.

Benadryl and other skin treatments treat the symptoms not the CAUSE! The dog will continue to be itchy (though less) until you treat the cause! I have heard this from several dog owners and the vets are over looking the obvious because a lot of them have not seen mange (though I do not understand why since it is quite common). Most of the mange is not the genetic type and very treatable if the vet will stop with the allergies to grass! That was what my son was told by two different vets until he went to the last one that recognized mange since he had seen it before as he had treated shelter dogs.
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Blog Entries
    I thought mange with Moira. too, but a skin scraping was negative. My former rescue came itchy, but no hair loss like Moira. I told the doctor it was yeast - he said no, so I self treated her with Solaray Yeast Cleanse and Solaray multidoliphilus and the itchies ended and never returned.

Blog Entries
    I have this problem with my little dog and it is an allergy to grass. When he starts to itch I give him an anti histamine on the vets advise and after a couple of days the itching stops. I also put an itch cream on him. Its not a dog cream just one over the counter at the chemists. This all helps him.

My shih tzu/Maltese has suffered with an itchy tummy which she licks bald, so I really appreciate all this info from members! I'm new to the Board, so I never would have thought to seek help for this problem here. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    He could be nervous, being adopted. He is in a new place and doesn't know what is going to happen next. Hasn't known for sometime, probably.
    I have a puppy that is an allergy to corn. Till we knew this he would scratch himself raw. Changed is food, no corn or rice and haven't had a problem since.
    grahm cracker

Cagey,

Please let us know if one of these suggestions works for your little dog and update us on how he is doing!

Blog Entries
    Sometimes it is all the shots they have to have that brings on the allergies. Our little Chihauhau has the problem. We use the Advantage III on her, best one and plus she gets baths with dawn and bacon grease helps a bit. Use flea comb on her too. Dawn does not keep fleas off, it is just a good soap to use because it dissolves the oils on the fleas and they drown, otherwise they can float around tub in little bubble of air and hitch a ride back on your pet. With all the stuff in food now days, as many have said, could be the diet too. Poor animals, we love them so much and work hard to keep them comfortable, hate to see them suffer.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewmimi View Post
    My shih tzu/Maltese has suffered with an itchy tummy which she licks bald, so I really appreciate all this info from members! I'm new to the Board, so I never would have thought to seek help for this problem here. Thanks again.
    The cream I use on my dog is called Cortizone 10 which I bought in the US in August and I showed my vet and he said it was perfectly fine to use icon the dog and it really helps him. I only put it on while he is itching though.

A Tablespoon of Olive oil in his food might help.
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    We have a cat that "found us" in the woods. We've spent over $1200 trying to get him healthy. We've taken chicken products and grain products away and took all plastic items (cats are quite often allergic to plastic). Right now he has two spots on his shoulder blades where he has scratched holes. As soon as it dries and starts to heal, it gets itchy and he starts scratching. I'm giving him steriods right now. I'll keep checking back to see if someone has some ideas.
    Lynn
    Start the Process
    Don't fail because you
    are afraid to
    Start the Process

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drgranny View Post
    I had a little chihuahua mix who scratched all the time. I gave him flax seed oil and brewers yeast once a day and he cleared up. Then had a big black cat that lost all of his hair. His skin was clear and smooth. Vet gave him thyroid meds and he grew all his hair back. Have a long hair siamese who pulls out her hair. We have no idea why she started this. My husband shaved her for the summer and decided to let her grow back her hair for winter. Yep, she is pulling it out again. She doesn't scratch or have flakey or oil skin.
    According to an article I read, Siamese and Siamese mixes are prone to ripping out their fur. Our Siamese mix does this and we had him on Prozac for 9 months which took care of the issue but when I learned it was a Siamese trait we just gradually decreased the dosage and let the cat be. He's missing some fur but I'm not fighting him every night to administer the meds and I'm not spending $60 every other month for Prozac for the cat either. I can only only afford one money pit at a time and right now that's my boxer. Hope this helps.
    Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Well loads of advice and your vet is involved so hopefully a happy result won't be too far off. I have a little rescued chi x Jack Russell. He was itchy scratchy and quite bald when I first got him. A gentle wash with a natural soap containing Neem Oil followed by bicarbonate of soda rinses worked for him. Sometimes it's also getting used to a new environment and different foods. Topo (my dog) was a constant paw sucker....it took months to train him out of it.....that's the thing with rescues....they need lots of time, patience, lateral thinking and buckets of love....the return...priceless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast