Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jay Leno - comments about overweight/fat people >

Jay Leno - comments about overweight/fat people

Jay Leno - comments about overweight/fat people

Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 AM

I don't watch any of the late night shows. Conan's advertisements just irriatate me to no end. I do not see how he is funny.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:14 AM

overweight people are always made fun of-but look at the talented heavy people-Opra Winfrey, Star Jones (before Bypass) almost all the older movie stars-Marylin Monroe would be considered chubby by standards now and despite what a lot of people think they are fat too- I rarely see anyone now a days that couldn't stand to loss a few pounds.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by montanajan
Big difference between Jay Leno & the old Johnny Carson Show - Johnny always made fun of himself and Leno pokes fun at other's expense. I don't watch him for that reason. Its a cruel form of comedy IMHO.
My feeling exactly. There hasn't been a great comic since Johnny Carson in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:56 AM

My son did stand-up until the economy tanked. His jokes were about himself and his family. (He told the jokes to the family member first to make sure none were offended.) His jokes may have been off color, but he worked very hard not to intentionally hurt feelings. There is no need to do that to be funny. He was and still is very funny.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 AM

Those that make an effort to let everyone know their own thoughts on a subject that harms others, are very insecure with themselves. Pathetic he gets paid for it.
I would say has he looked in the mirror lately, but of course he has. That is where he gets his material from...
Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by smagruder
I don't watch any of the late night shows. Conan's advertisements just irriatate me to no end. I do not see how he is funny.
I'm with you. Gave up on all those 'late night' shows many years ago, maybe it's because I remember what fun they were when they began back in the early 1950's. Don't remember who was the first, maybe it was Jerry Lester, then Steve Allen and his crew who I think were the funniest, Jack Parr was next and he was there for many years before Johnny came and made late night TV his own.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:26 AM

I never liked him He could be talking from his own experience.He looks like he could stand to lose a bunch of lbs and ''gluttony''pertains to more than just food..
Old 06-15-2011, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

When did people become SO rude? I just cant get past that.....why they think making fun of someone is funny? UGH!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

David Letterman is old and creepy. I always thought he was creepy even when he was younger. I feel the same way about Larry King. Some people just give me the creepy vibe.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:51 AM

I will share my experience and hope that it will help anyone who struggles with weight issues.

I am only 5' 1/4" tall, was 5'2" at one time. I weighed 110 pounds when I got married. I started to gain weight after the birth of my son in 1969 and continued to add pounds until in 2006 I weighed 251 pounds. That is a lot of weight on a small person and it took its toll on my joints. It also made me depressed and people treated me badly. My husband never never made any remarks or treated me badly.

In September of 2006 I had a gastric bypass and now weigh 118 pounds. I am much happier and healthier. But, and this is what makes me angry. People who have known me for years treat me totally different now. Why? I'm the same person I was before. I am no smarter than I was before and I have no abilities that I didn't have before. It has been a real experience to see who my true friends are, those who accepted me for who I am and not how much I weighed.

So to all who struggle with weight, hold your head high and be the person you are inside. Anyone who judges you based on appearance isn't worth your time. Life is way too short to bother with people who only see "thin."

I hope this helps somewhat. Be proud of who you are and celebrate your talents, your compassion, and all the things that make you special. You are special!