Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jean Auel's~Earth's Children >

Jean Auel's~Earth's Children

Jean Auel's~Earth's Children

Old 02-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

i just put a hold on it at my library. many holds before me though.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Has anyone gotten and read the painted caves yet? Mine came in on Saturday and it is a total DUD! I am sooooo disappointed. This book sucks worse than the 4th one. It's like Auel ran out of steam and the editor was on strike.

There is about 50 pages worth reading and that only if you suspend your sense of reality and logic. I actually skipped more pages than I read but still - what a waste of time.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 AM

Hard to believe its been 31 years since I readher first book!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Has anyone gotten and read the painted caves yet? Mine came in on Saturday and it is a total DUD! I am sooooo disappointed. This book sucks worse than the 4th one. It's like Auel ran out of steam and the editor was on strike.

There is about 50 pages worth reading and that only if you suspend your sense of reality and logic. I actually skipped more pages than I read but still - what a waste of time.
I was really looking forward to this last one - I'm sad to hear that it's a dud.

Actually - if people wanted kids to read her books - they should ban them - lots of descriptions of sex in some of them.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
lots of descriptions of sex in some of them.
Not so much in the last one. She is too busy nursing her kid, looking at cave pictures, training to be a zelandonii, introducing herself with all of her gazillion ties and names every bloody time she meets someone (even if she's met them before) AND singing/reciting that stupid Mother's Song. At the end of the book I was ready to give up sex too. :lol:
Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 AM

wow, when did this come out? I gave up waiting for the series to continue .... maybe 5 years ago. I'm back to being interested.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

It was released end of March.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:06 AM

I read the first three books in this series when I was on spring break from college years ago, I didn't know they were still around ,or that there were more than the three I read. They were excellent books that I still remember out of the many ,many books I have read over the years.( no I didn't go to some popular beach during spring break and spend lots of money, my treat was these books ,bout all I could afford and I remember saving out of my grocery buget to buy the soft cover set lol) times have changed:)
Old 04-05-2011, 10:09 AM

Just downloaded the frist in the series from my library on audio.I am excited to listen amd refresh my memory on these books while I sew .I love that you can download audiobooks for free now and trandfer them to an MP3 player
Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Haven't read it...Haven't read Shelters of Stone either. In fact, I saw it at a book store the other day and don't, for the life of me, know how I missed it!!!! Will get it soon.

As for the movie Clan of the Cavebear......that should have been an embarrassment to the director, producer, and actors. It was awful! The book was REALLY REALLY good!
I agree that the movie was awful. I have loved Jean Auel's books for years, though, from Clan of the Cave Bear and onto the rest of them. There was a period of time that she wanted to get into Russia (the Soviet Union back then) and they would not let her in to do her research so she did not publish for a few years, I remember...
I am excited that she has a new book! Sad that this is the end of the series...