Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jellyfish on Florida beaches >

Jellyfish on Florida beaches

Jellyfish on Florida beaches

Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 AM

Saw this on the news, it's on the net where many purple jellyfish have washed up on Florida beaches stinging people. Wasn't there a deal with birds dieing not to long ago?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...-beach-parties
Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

scary isn't it, probably all connected
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie
scary isn't it, probably all connected
It is scary. This was not just one but hordes of them - 800 or so.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 AM

Yesterday at the beach, I noticed clusters of Pelicans in flight, and they looked happy and healthy.
No jellyfish though.
A couple of weeks back (when we scattered the ashes of my EX at the Port Aransas jetties) my daughter took a snap shot of a man carrying a human sized dead shark on his back walking on the jetties with blood stains on his back(it was a white land shark).
I'm going to ask her to send me the photo so that I can post it sometime for showing.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

A few years ago I was at Wildwood NJ and the beach was covered in jelly fish. The locals all said it happened from time to time and they were not concerned at all.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM

Technically, it's the season for these water creatures to roam.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

I grew up in Cocoa Beach in the 70s and I can remember it happening occassionally that the jellyfish would come in like this and inundate the beach. Anyone who went swimming was sure to get stung but the stings are minor and can be taken out with vinigar or even a paste made of MSG. Those kind were not such a big deal but when the Portugese Manowar jellies came in that was nasty, their sting is very bad and they have long long tenticles that end up tangling up all around you so it is not just one or two stings but numerous ones all over your body, wherever the tenticles touched you. I can also remember having a red tide and they advised everyone against going in the water. Red tide is an algae bloom but the algae give off some sort of toxin when they go haywire like that. This is nothing new. It is cyclic.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:28 PM

We have a trip planned to Port Aransas Tx the end of July, and I called to get a confirmation email from the place we are renting, it is normal for seaweed and jellyfish to wash up this time of year, happens every year, but however, she told me that her friend came by yesterday and said millions of little crabs in their shells had washed up on the beach dead. she said the marine lab there will probably investigate and put something in the paper tomorrow...will follow.....
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie_1963
We have a trip planned to Port Aransas Tx the end of July, and I called to get a confirmation email from the place we are renting, it is normal for seaweed and jellyfish to wash up this time of year, happens every year, but however, she told me that her friend came by yesterday and said millions of little crabs in their shells had washed up on the beach dead. she said the marine lab there will probably investigate and put something in the paper tomorrow...will follow.....
From the looks of yesterday at Port Aransas beach, I saw no baby crabs, not even on the shores. Lots of seaweed though & the tides were a little high, the waters looked a bit cleaner, not so much tar this time.