Joann's

Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 PM

There were long lines in my Joann's this whole week due to Halloween - everyone seem to think they could sew and wanted some fabric to make a costume.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:31 PM

one JAs does not have #s but the others does for cutting. Corporate decisions RE number of employees at the store.
I usually shop early on the weekends...in and out in record time every time. I'm there so often, they've asked me to fill out applications. I put up w/and frustration because I need to sew. therapy for me dealing with parent w/alz.

Be prepared. the closer it gets to Christmas and Thanksgiving the worse the shopping is. No way to work around it.

What bothers me at most stores is mothers bringing in little kids that are tired and hungry. Poor kids frustrations makes every one on edge.....my opinioin and sticking to it. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:01 PM

What bothers me at most stores is mothers bringing in little kids that are tired and hungry. Poor kids frustrations makes every one on edge.....my opinioin and sticking to it. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I'm not offended as I agree with you. I do try to see their side though because I remember when I was a young mother with two little ones. If I hadn't taken my DSs with me, I would never have gotten out of the house. That makes moms and little ones very unhappy. What I dislike most is when the kids are allowed to run and scream through the store running into people. I was in Walmart yesterday and a young woman told her little boy he had better run and then she took off running while pushing her cart in front of her. he followed her saying "I running," Not a very good example of store manners. I try to make the best of it. I honestly don't remember my sons screaming and running around though. Maybe it's selective forgetting. :)
Old 10-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

This is notoriously a bad weekend. Halloween is Monday and the last minute people are doing shopping for Halloween. There were some good sales and I had the 30% off cards from the last time I was there, but there is no way I go to JoAnns on a Saturday or Sunday in October. When I did a couple of years ago, I was number 115 and they were waiting on 74. Now that is with getting my number, then shopping, then going to get my fabric cut. Never again.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 PM

When the lines are long, the first thing I do is grab a number then shop.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:56 PM

ALL THE TIME!!!

Like others have said, I get my number first, then shop. Makes for some pretty snide comments from others when I finally belly up to the cutting counter with my bolts. They didn't see me get my number, which is in my pocket, and they are quite rude with their comments when they inform me that I have to go to the back of the line and take a number. I simply smile sweetly and pull my number out of my pocket. Heh.

I've discovered that if I shop around 8 pm, the store is usually pretty quiet. And I NEVER go on weekends.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:04 PM

I was in my local JA on Monday and it was swamped. The girl at checkout said they had not "anticipated" so many shoppers so were understaffed. I sort of thought that was how they always operated, at least in my JA you typically cannot get any floor help, always long cutting line and check out lines. But why they would not think that one week before halloween wouldn't be busy is a mystery to me. I too grab a number right away when I know I am going to need cutting.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:22 PM

Been there twice this week. I went right after work, 3:30ish, the line was really long. The wait to get fabric cut was 30+ minutes. I just shop until my time. I can spend a lot of time looking at the quilting books, so time passes quickly. I saved a lot. JoAnn's is usually understaffed at the cutting table.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:47 AM

I don't think the Store in OKC uses the # system? I have never experienced it and have just had to stand in line. We are getting a new JoAnn's. Actually the one in OKC is just moving in Feb & it will be a larger Store. Hope they will hire enough staff.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:13 AM

My local store does not use the # system. I have arthritis in both knees so waiting that long is very difficult. I have never been in this location when they have had enough staff. If they do some are on the floor working - stocking etc & that is their assigned task and they cannot come help wait on customers. I used to work at a differnt JA years ago - at that time customers were first not stocking. I hate shopping there & try never to get any fabric cut.