Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: job interview??

Sometimes being one of the youngest members of this board come in handy. I have a job interview tomorrow with my local Wal-mart at 10. I already know to arrive early to not keep them waiting, but when it comes to the interview, I'm so nervous. I've never had a job interview before as I've worked for my parents part time in the summer and it was more of a "I need help and you don't have a job" kind of thing. And I have another interview at Bottom Dollar grocery on Thursday at 9 which I'm also nervous about.

What worries me the most is the "Why would you like to work at ___?" I need a better answer then "I need a job"

Can any of you wonderful ladies (and men) give me some pointers??

Blog Entries
    While answering questions always look them in the eye. If you don't know the answer, don't wing it. Simply say, "I don't know." As to why you want to work there, tell them you know that it is a good company, a stable company, and there may be opportunities for advancement.

Well- at Wal-Mart they pride themselves on being family oriented and wholesome, so you could go with that. Ex: You've heard that Wal-Mart is a great employer and they treat their employees very well, you are a good people person and feel like you would do well there. There are so many learning opportunities at Wal-mart with the wide variety of products they sell. What kind of work did you do for your parents? Take that experience and find what you could match it to at Wal-Mart and sell that ascpect of your work experience. Put a smile on your face and walk in with a confident attitude! You may be nervous but fake it so good no one would ever guess!! Go girl! Let us know who ends up being the lucky employer to hire you.

Good luck!

np3
    Blog Entries
    First of all , make sure it is something you are comfortable saying so you don't sound fake. With WalMart you can always mention that you understand that they have lots of opportunities for growth in the company and you are looking for future advancement and a career.

Tell them what you know, have you shoped there? Are there employes friendly do you like to work with the public, why,Are the hrs to your liking, flesable? ect.
    Example: I am a hard worker, and want to be employed someplace I will injoy working. Every time I have shoped here the employee's are always so friendly and helpful it must be a great place to work,

I worked retail management for many years. I can tell you when I was the interviewer, I was less concerned with the answer and more concerned with the overall presentation. I hired many people who simply said I wanted work experience or I wanted a job for extra money. These are not "deep" answers, but each person presented themselves well, appeared heartfelt, sincere, and honest. They dressed appropriately (no shorts, tank tops, jeans, etc). They were friendly and pleasant.

Make a good impression, take a deep breath and be yourself. But, use the same manners you would with your grandmother. :)

Relax, you will do just fine.

I knew this was the right place to come to for answers! You've all been so helpful and encouraging! thank you all!

A great question to ask future employers is... "what are you looking for in an employee?" Listen thoughtfully to their response and then say why you would fit what they are looking for.

Dress nicely!

Google the company and know some general facts about them like when they were founded and how big they are, etc.

Good luck and let us know when you get the job.

Good luck, sarahrachel! My dad was a store manager for a long time, and hated to do interviews. He said he would ask questions, but the specific answers were not all that important. He wanted to get the impression that the person was hard-working, dependable, and trustworthy.

Another answer to "why do you want to work here?" - If it's a store you shop at regularly, a great answer is, "I love this store!"

I hope you let us know your results.

Good luck in your interview!

Blog Entries
    I like Grammies bj answer! Good luck! Your QB family is rooting for you! Let us knw if u get one or both jobs! Ask about hrs as most places don't want to give more than 15-20 hrs! If so ask how the feel about working around anothER part time job if u decide to get one later on.

Good luck with the WM interview. You will interview with a department manager first. If they like you then you move to an assistant manager and last but not least a co manager or even the store manager. They all read a set of questions and they all sound like the last one you just answered.

Blog Entries
    I have heard that you should dress just one step better for an interview than you would dress for working in the place.

If you have shopped at Walmart all your life, you could mention that it seems like it would be an easy transition to work there.

It wouldn't hurt to mention that you're a people-person.

Blog Entries
    Relax, look the interviewer in the eyes. Don't be afraid to take a deep breath before answering if you are unsure of how to answer a question. It buys you a little time to gather your thoughts :wink:
    I wish you the best of luck tomorrow :D:D:D

You can also mention that you know in this economy so many places are unstable and that you would be proud to work in another store that has family values such as you have worked in previously (your parents). Having worked for my parents, I KNOW that family members get the worst jobs possible and are expected to do more than anyone else...that says alot about you too.

Good luck

A couple of additional things: check that the interviewer is capable of shaking hands and offer your hand as you are introducing yourself or acknowledging their introduction. When you sit don't cross your legs, play with your hair, wave your hands around or other "nervous" actions. Breath in through your nose & out your mouth slowly to calm yourself, smile when appropriate and when answering a question speak clearly and moderately. Thank the interviewer for their time and follow up with thank you emails. Good luck!!

remember to write and send a thank you note.

Blog Entries
    Take a deep breath! Remember they are human to, just be real and don't nervously ramble on (guess how that one got learned ;) lol) You will do great.

Good luck, I think you have all the answers here to do well, do let us know how you get on !!

1. Dress appropriately.

2. Don't chew gum; turn OFF your cell phone before you go in!

3. When you shake hands with someone don't "dead fish" them - shake their hand firmly.

4. Don't fidgit; toss hair, say "um"

5. Stress your positives - at this point you have little job experience so use what you have in your life - responsibility; civic minded; on time; dependable!

6. Remember to ask when you can expect to hear from them.

There is no reason not to carry a small notebook or portfolio with questions / tips / things you want to remember with you and refer to it --

GOOD LUCK!

Blog Entries
    You enjoy helping people and you are a TEAM PLAYER! Smile, look the interviewer in the eye. You have good work ethics, believe in always being on time, willing to learn and accept advice. Good luck.... I bet you leave with an offer of a job. Let us know how you do. We are all pulling for you. Always..... tell them how you can make a great company better.

thank you all! and I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes when I get back. I binded a lap quilt this morning to calm me down, but I finished it and the nerves are back. Send prayers my way and I'll probably using all your tips. The hardest will be not saying um. I have my hair tied back so I don't have to worry about that. deep breaths.

No advice to add .... just good luck!

Susan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast