Jury Duty!

Old 04-05-2010, 01:14 PM

Oregon is so weird...I've never heard of a place that handles jury duty like this place does.

I'd been "called". Except I haven't. But I might be! I have to be "on call" from April 6th to April 19th. At any time during those dates they can call me in to serve on a jury. I can also be called for more than one jury, even if I've already served on one!

I've never seen anyplace that runs their jury selections like this...
Old 04-05-2010, 01:17 PM

California does the same "on call" thing. Used to be you were in for two or three weeks, no matter how many cases you got on. Now they have changed it to one week of on call, one trial, or one day if you go in and aren't on a case. They also recently raised the daily pay! Much better system.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:19 PM

In Michigan we are on call for 3 months and can serve more than once in that time also. At least in my town. WE get a letter at the beginning and then if we are called we get a letter Most I have been called for have been settled outside of a jury so Only had to go in once- Lawyer was a relative, I was excused.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:26 PM

When I lived in Montana, I was called for jury duty...told to be there on a certain day...I showed up, was selected for a jury trial that lasted 4 days. Was interesting and actually kind of fun. Was happy to serve.

This is a crock. I may not be called to go to court at any time during the almost two weeks, but I can't plan to go anywhere until I get a call at 8pm each evening for the next day. Tomorrow is my day off, but I can't plan on anything until tonight...next week I have company coming, and I can't go to the coast with them because I *might* get called.

I don't mind serving on a jury...I do mind having my time tied up like this on a "maybe" situation!!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Oregon is so weird...I've never heard of a place that handles jury duty like this place does.

I'd been "called". Except I haven't. But I might be! I have to be "on call" from April 6th to April 19th. At any time during those dates they can call me in to serve on a jury. I can also be called for more than one jury, even if I've already served on one!

Virginia does the same thing.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:46 PM

One thing about Iowa, if you are an educator, I was, or a daycare provider, I was, you are exempt! SO now that I wear hearing aids I'm also exempt. I really would have liked the experience.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:53 PM

In Michigan I could be called during my 3 months to serve for a state jury that is at least a 400 mile round trip they don't care and You get paid 12.50 a day if you serve in my town.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Here in WA we would have to call in each evening at 7PM to find out if we had to go in the next day, but it was only for a week.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

It's done that way here in AR. You get a letter saying you are on jury duty, call a number once a week to find out if you need to come in or not. I didn't mind. I was working then and my employer paid full pay for anyone serving on jury duty no matter how many days off work. That is how is should be. Juries need good clear thinking responsible adults not in a big rush to make a quick decision so they can get back to their job.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Indiana does the same....only you're "on call" for a whole darn month....