Just a chuckle

Old 11-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Go ask a kid if they want to listen to a record...they will look at you like you have 4 heads...they have NO idea what that is!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pzazz
Yes, I remember the drive-ins...often sneaking someone in, in the trunk!!! And gas? 17 cents a gallon...and you got a free mug with a fill!! First movie I remember going to I paid 25 cents...and sat thru' it twice!!!

HEHEHE Me thinks a lot of us are "dating" selves. :roll: :oops:
oh my, I remember all, except the .17 for gas...I wasn't driving so didn't pay attention to prices.
Sometimes we got into the movies with royal crown cola bottle caps...the ones with cork in them :mrgreen:
Old 11-17-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
We still have a record player and a vinyl collection that goes with it. DH even has a reel-to-reel.
My husband does too :D

Old 11-17-2009, 07:50 PM

Quiltncrazy...I think why the 17 cents sticks in my head is because of my brother running out of gas on his way home from university one day. He had exactly enough change in his pocket for one gallon....17 cents. He had an old Austin ...and drove to university and back on that 17 cents for another 3 or 4 days!!!! Granted, it wasn't a real long drive, but still!!!!!! :shock:
Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 PM

Shoots, Mom would give us a quarter, we'd go to the movies, get a soda and candy and come home with change!
Dad would give me 50 cents. I'd get on my bike, ride to the gas station with the gas can, get it filled, buy him a pack of smokes and sit and have a soda, then come back home.
These days, you give a kid a quarter and they look at you wondering what they are going to do with it. lol
I remember my first REAL job. I made a whopping $1.72/hr working 2d shift in a nursing home. That was alot of money! That $1.72 included the "shift differential".
Old 11-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

My DH collects records and radios and 8 track tapes and we have an 8 track player. He has old player piano rolls and collects cassette tapes and has some of the victrola records. He has some records that were home taped by someone. Nobody we know just something we added to the collection. We have a case of old tubes for radios and old TVs and we have a case similar to a record player case that is the unit to test the tubes to make sure they are good. I remember going to the local drug store and testing tubes for the TV on their tester. It was a free public service. We were married in 75 so this was that year. He has a record set that has the radio announcer telling about the hindenburg disaster as it happened. He has more than I can remember. We are always picking up stuff to add to it.

He also has a coke and pepsi collection that includes a lot of the old and older cans and bottles you won't see now. Do you remember YooHoo pop? There was a Double Cola out in the 70s and I remember when all you could choose from was Root Beer Coke and orange or grape. I have a box of caps in my collectible collection for bottling your own Root Beer at home. It came with a flavor packet. There were all sorts of pop you don't see anymore. I don't think they make Squirt anymore do they?

When I went to Mexico on a school trip in 72 we were told we couldn't drink the Coke there as it still had cocaine in it then in Mexico but not the US. Coke began with cocaine before anyone figured out that was a bad thing!!