just curious

Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 AM

When I learned to sew basting spray hadn't been invented yet. Probably wouldn't have tried it though. I didn't even know about pinning. We layed the pattern out on the fabric and used table knives to hold the pattern down (for the weight). Patterns were to be used many times and there was no way we would destroy one by sticking pins in it! I still prefer weighting my pattern rather than pinning.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by many craft person
Have you ever used the quilt basting spray for laying out clothing patterns?
Id trace the pattern on to freezer paper and press to fabric.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:01 AM

jazzy509-- that is what I was going to suggest. I used to work at a retail fabric store and suggested this to a customer. She returned to the store a year later, I was working, recognized her, she couldn't thank me enough. The pattern had to be altered and adjusted; worked so good, she had used it several times. Just the little things in life, are amazing, even if it came from the grocery store. None of the waxy side adhered to the flannel/cotton fabric that was used. Also, the freezer pattern, can be used over and over.
Caution: spray adhesive could cause problems with sewing machine.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:26 PM

I do a fair amount of sewing from patterns (clothes, etc.) and never use more than two pins per pattern piece. Those are used to keep the piece on the fabric grain and I usually pin right through the grain "arrow."

After that, it's pattern weights. You only need one set as that's about all the room you have to spread anyway - the garment length, width, etc.

In fact, I was thinking of doing up some nice shapes of something, filling them with birdseed (nice weighting in that), and setting them out in a basket for display when not in use.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:22 PM

I haven't sewn from a clothing pattern since waaaay before the invention of basting spray LOL. Started quilting regularly and immediately disposed of all patterns and sewing notions.
My friends and relatives don't even ask me to sew a buton. The only exception is my girl scout granddaughter (I sew her patches) LOL
Old 07-19-2011, 01:23 PM

i think the paper would rip