Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Just not as easy as on HGTV! >

Just not as easy as on HGTV!

Just not as easy as on HGTV!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Doods
I have seen those next to the spray paint. DH wasn't thinking it would be worth it. Good to know you have tried it out. Next time I have to paint I'm buying one!
Well, unless DH is going to do the painting for you, then the spray trigger attachment is well worth it. :D
Old 07-27-2011, 02:36 PM

My husband hates those makeover shows that make it look like they can get a job done in 2 days. What they don't show you is that there is a crew of about 100 professionals actually doing the job. :wink:
Old 07-27-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by katykwilt
My hubby had one stall of our 3 car garage converted to a sewing room for me. I love it! My sewing table is an office desktop that I have plopped on two file cabinets. They were an ugly gun metal gray -- until yesterday when I hauled them to the backyard, sanded them and painted them white.

No way is such a project as easy as HGTV shows! They show a quick sanding and shake the can of spray paint and press the button. Right? My finger is sore from holding the sprayer down, my back is aching from bending over the project and I got paint all over the place including on my nose. There are runs in the paint because I got too close and overspray where I don't want it -- but the color is great and who will see that the tops aren't perfect when the desktop covers them? However, I will take a class on spray paint before I try painting metal again!
I had an ugly metal 2 drawer file cabinet that I really wanted to keep all my quilting lit. in. What I did was to go and buy a roll of contact paper that looked like wood. Covered the whole cabinet. It was easy. Did take a little time to cut pieces that would fit but now I have a beautiful file cabinet. Well worth the $2.50 I spent on the contact paper.It actually fools alot of people into thinking it is REALLY wood.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by katykwilt
My hubby had one stall of our 3 car garage converted to a sewing room for me. I love it! My sewing table is an office desktop that I have plopped on two file cabinets. They were an ugly gun metal gray -- until yesterday when I hauled them to the backyard, sanded them and painted them white.

No way is such a project as easy as HGTV shows! They show a quick sanding and shake the can of spray paint and press the button. Right? My finger is sore from holding the sprayer down, my back is aching from bending over the project and I got paint all over the place including on my nose. There are runs in the paint because I got too close and overspray where I don't want it -- but the color is great and who will see that the tops aren't perfect when the desktop covers them? However, I will take a class on spray paint before I try painting metal again!
I had an ugly metal 2 drawer file cabinet that I really wanted to keep all my quilting lit. in. What I did was to go and buy a roll of contact paper that looked like wood. Covered the whole cabinet. It was easy. Did take a little time to cut pieces that would fit but now I have a beautiful file cabinet. Well worth the $2.50 I spent on the contact paper.It actually fools alot of people into thinking it is REALLY wood.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:29 PM

Norm Abrams is the hottest man on TV, :lol: all he has to do is start to do some woodworking and I want to take him home with me. :thumbup:
--------------------------------------
Yes, I agree. Without TV, all I can find easily, is a "getting chubby breasts from hormones in fast food" young guy with a know it all attitude. Irritates the heck out of me. So I go with the older, been there, done that knowledge. They do some awesome work~
Old 07-27-2011, 05:32 PM

So-o-o-o when do we get to see pictures of this wonderful new space??!!! :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-27-2011, 06:37 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Originally Posted by BeckyL
Something else I have used is to sand the file cabinet, prime it and use ceramic paint, applying it with a foam brush. It works great, is extremely durable once it has cured, and I got no streaks. This paint isn't cheap and it is somewhat hard to find, but it is great for baths, kitchens, hallways etc. You can get it in a flat finish as well as satin and gloss. Once it has cured, you can scrub it.
and the name of it is . . .?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by pab58
So-o-o-o when do we get to see pictures of this wonderful new space??!!! :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Well, you asked, so here are a couple pictures. The first shows the file cabinet/sewing table. 2nd is across the room from it, the library corner (bookcase on right is mostly dedicated to quilt stuff. and last is the opposite end of the room where the cutting table, my drafting board and computer reside. No, the printer is only temporarily on the treadle. This section needs organization -- next on the agenda!

The room was (is) wonderful, but I've tucked in 6 additional sewing machines since it was created.

The repurposed file cabinet sewing table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232879[/ATTACH]

My library corner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232880[/ATTACH]

cutting table w/storage
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232881[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232873.jpe   attachment-232874.jpe   attachment-232875.jpe