Just wondering......

Old 05-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

I don't like it but fortunately my parents put me on a plane when I was about 13. It is a necessary evil for me. Many of the places I fly too are impossible to drive to, Europe and Hawaii, or too dangerous to drive to, central America. I will not go on a cruise or anything. I think it is the loosing control and being locked up that gets me. I normally travel with children so I need to behave and show no fear even if it is the worst turbulance I have ever been in. I do spend a lot of time in the bathroom as I can not handle the stuffiness of a plane combined with the side to side motion or roll that happens at times. I have been known to request the pilot to blast cold air to the back else my tummy would empty.

And yes, I also hate the getting ready of going on a flight, the right weight and size of the suitcase, packing for the whole family, my food allergies, my DS 9's food allergies, making it in time, waiting and then being stuck in too small a seats on top of total strangers. Ugh and I was thinking of going to Hawaii this year. Maybe a drive up the SoCal coast will do.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

i've flown but don't like it at all. last yr i went to Houston and had a cheap flight there and got a cold or something. my nose ran for over a month!! close quarters aren't fun.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 AM

I'm not in love with flying but I do it. My hubby is a licensed pilot - so I have experience flying in the little planes - really those planes are made to fly - esp the little ones - they don't just drop out of the sky. I hate the security and taking off shoes and the lines....Also, hate the stale air on big airplanes - feels like I am breathing everyone's breath. What I really love are the float planes - my in-laws live in Alaska on an Island - we have to fly in on a float plane - I love those - you can see everything and really its a smooth takeoff and landing. I think its natural to be afraid of things you cannot control.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:03 AM

I haven't flown in an airplane and don't ever intend to. Want my feet planted on the ground and take my chances with autos and trains.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM

I have a different approach - on the way there think about how much fun it's going to be when you get there; on the way home think about the fun you had at your destination. Also, if you like people it's a great way to chat with folks from all different walks of life. Everyone has a story. The rest is just "the gnats of daily life"!

Attitude - it's a little thing that makes a BIG difference!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Banned

sorry, I am a plane lover...however after the 3rd motorcycle crash I gave up being a passenger on any motorcycles!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 AM

I'm not a fan of flying either but I would never let it stop me from going anywhere.

I just look at it as hours of boredom, with a few moments of absolute fear every now and then.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

It's not the fear of flying that gets to me - I love being in the air above it all. It is the hassle one has to go through to take a flight these days. There are so many restrictions and the requirement to be at the airport so long before the flight. And there are so many delays. When flying, I usually plan on the whole day. So if I can drive there in a day, I'll drive instead. Now, a trip to a warm island is a totally different matter :)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 AM

The only thing I hate about flying is airports. Driving there, parking, getting from parking to terminal with luggage, rude people, bad odors, dirty toilets, long waits (because I'm always early), and just in general a day "wasted".

Once I'm on the plane and installed in my real estate (seat), I calm down immediately.

Take an Ipod to listen to do, and something else to do with your hands. Keeps you occupied and before you know it they're announcing the local time and temperature at your destination.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:30 AM

I will fly...a bit anxious on take off & landing, but I will do it. However...
I will not set foot on a cruise ship because of a fear that is probably as big as yours about flying. So I can understand. No matter how many times my husband tells me that the Titanic was the last cruise ship to sink, I can not get over the fear of drowning. (had a near-drowning experience as a young child) I will swim, but only if I can stay near shore or have my life vest on & can see shore easy enough to get to it, even if I have to dog paddle to get there.