Kayaking.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I was in a 2 person kayak in Florida several years ago, was fun

but I think a 1 person kayak would be better
Understood Crafty! Must be H--L if you both can't agree on the same direction to take! LOL

:-P
Old 10-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

How wonderful! I'm 59 and love to K. Live by a big 8 mile lake and a wonderful river too. I am so blessed. Have fun and enjoy all your kayaking time! Please post Pics' of your fun!
peace
Old 10-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
As a former canoeist, I've wanted to kayak for a long time. But my DD turned over in freezing rapids a few years ago and got stuck; she still has residual issues from that very close call. And as she's the one who would take me, guess I won't be fulfilling that bucket list wish. :roll:

Jan in VA
Dear J, I had a similar spill but not getting stuck. Just had to get toppled and turned over through some rapids but made it through. I now mostly K on the lake. No white water for me! You can still do it!
peace
Old 10-04-2011, 03:27 PM

I love to kayak. Once a week a few friends, mostly retirement age, and I get together and go on a lake. Jan don't take it off your bucket list.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:47 PM

Used to kayak as a kid, and enjoyed it. Figured I wasn't getting any younger, and after borrowing a cousins a couple times, last year bought myself an inexpensive kayak. I am a chubby 62 year old, and have a lot of fun. I don't do white water, just creeks and small lakes. I found a friend with one and we go together. I got a two person (tandem) inflatable at a yard sale this summer and took my grandkids. We got wet and loved it. Next year I want to kayak a bit on the Erie Canal. (Already did it in a 36 ft sailboat, all the way from Buffalo to Albany.)
Old 10-04-2011, 04:50 PM

YOU GO!!! I love kayaking. We "flatwater" as I'm not as athletic as I used to be, lol. My boat is a tandam as I like to take my dogs.

I'm ready!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266442[/ATTACH]

Chesepeak Bay a couple years ago
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266443[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266389.jpe   attachment-266390.jpe  
Old 10-04-2011, 05:32 PM

Wow good for you. thats great
Old 10-04-2011, 05:49 PM

I have a Nephew who is a Kayaking Guide in Hilton Head. He is great at it but will never get me (his favorite Aunt) into one. His pics are gorgeous but i have a real fear of being that closr to the water. I envy those who can enjoy such a beautiful sport!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I was in a 2 person kayak in Florida several years ago, was fun but I think a 1 person kayak would be better
Crafty,

We have a single and tandem kayak that we use up in the Pacific Northwest...mostly on Lake Roosevelt...and I prefer the tandem because I am not the only one paddling!!! DH sits in the back and I'm up front, when I get tired, I can rest and we still move along. There are a couple of kinds of kayaks, the sit-ons and the sit-ins. We have the sit-ins but did try the sit-ons in the ocean in Jamaica. We like the sit-ins because we can pack everything for a weekend of camping in them. Missed that this summer by being in Florida :cry:

On Lake Roosevelt in tandem with DSD
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266621[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266568.jpe  
Old 10-05-2011, 06:46 AM

I'm jealous.....I too am 64 and would love to go kayaking.....Keep us updated ! Congrats !