Kayaks

Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM

My husband and I are also looking for kayaks; have tried several.; the ones we like best so far are the Wildeness Tarpon.; Hubby likes the 14 foot; I prefer the 12 foot for me. They are very stable; The wider they are, the more stable they are. the longer they are the faster they are. Some places let you test them out before you buy.
Enjoy.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 AM

I wish I hadn't bought an expensive one. Even after doing my research and experiencing different ones, I now find I'd rather have a canoe. A couple of girlfriends have kayaks and they tell me I would've been much happier if I had one with rudders. I've only used my a half dozen times and now am having difficulty selling it for even half of what I paid for it. Buyer's remorse ....
Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM

My DH and I have a Wilderness systems Tarpon130T the T stands for tandem I suggest this kind because then you are truely together not out on seperate kayaks. Besides you can take turns paddeling, we love ours I live in Miami and use ours in the ocean yes even when it is very rough! We have NEVER tipped it...even when a Manatee came right up underneath us! Trust me the best thing we EVER bought...yes even including my sewing machine!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:10 PM

DH ordered ours from www.wayfair.com after doing his research. My first one came from Walmart. I feel very secure using it..not tippy at all.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 PM

My daughter has a small, sit-inside, one-person kayak that would not hold a dog. I'm in my mid-60's and fairly healthy but not at all athletic, and had not rowed anything in 20 years! I had no trouble managing it for about an hour in quiet water last summer. I would second the idea that you should try to rent different ones before you buy. DD had a bit of a challenge finding a life vest that didn't ride up a lot and get uncomfortable. Those are essential and required by law in many places, so you'll want to research them also, as well as a car rack, if you're going to buy that. There are several varieties to choose from. Have fun kayaking!