Keeping warm without power

Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 AM

Default Keeping warm without power

Hi all, just saw this posted on my FB page and thought it was a neat idea. I haven't tested it, but thought it was worth sharing. We never know when something like this comes in handy!

The guy put 4 tea lights in a small-ish metal loaf pan, then placed a 3-4" clay pot (with the hole covered) over the loaf pan, and then a large (maybe 7-9") clay pot over that with the hole open. He said the tea lights will burn for about 4 hours, and that it kept his small office warm when there was no power. He even used it occasionally when the office was simply cold.

If I was more techno-able, I'd post the connection.... sigh... Hope this helps! I'm going to try it when it warms up enough to dig through my garden stuff in the (very cold, detached) garage.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Similarly, it's the reason it's recommended to carry a metal coffee can and a candle (along with matches/lighter) in your car in the winter. If you get stuck, put the candle in the can, light it and it does throw off a surprising amount of heat.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Both are a good thing to know.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:35 PM

We made one to use in our camper years ago......it does work..

http://hackedgadgets.com/2009/10/16/...candle-heater/
Old 01-07-2014, 05:54 AM

It is a good thing to remember. I do keep a coffee can and candle and matches in my car during the winter as well as a blanket, extra gloves ,hat. I keep eating the granola bars so that does not work ☺.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:50 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

my house will NOT get any warmer than 55 this morn. It is minus 12 and with a minus 37 wind chill. the poor furnace kicks on and runs for a few and kicks back off. I put 2 coats on each of my dogs. I can't wait for this freeze to pass thru! And praying any homeless folks found their way to a shelter. Going to try the candle thing now!!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
We made one to use in our camper years ago......it does work..

http://hackedgadgets.com/2009/10/16/...candle-heater/
That's really interesting. We had our fire place going last night when the power went out and I swear the wind sucked more of the heat up the chimney than the fire put into the room.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
That's really interesting. We had our fire place going last night when the power went out and I swear the wind sucked more of the heat up the chimney than the fire put into the room.
It did: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/prevent...ace-56392.html

We have a wood stove (so it's got a closed burning chamber) and even in -33F (-51F with the windchill) it was 79F in the living room, and comfortable on the whole main floor, as long as the door to the room was open.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 AM

This is an interesting thread. It is very rare to lose power where I live (underground wires) but I have friends who are not so fortunate. I'm also thinking that a candle heater could be a lot more economical than a space heater! When it is this cold, I normally have a space heater going in my office/sewing room. It makes it a lot more comfortable but I know it sucks up the kilowatts like crazy. Does anyone know what size room will work effectively with this?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Have to try that one....