Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kindle, Nook, Ipad, tablet. What works best for download

I use my IPad Air for almost everything, but for reading books I prefer my Kindle Paperwhite. there is no glare, and I can read it in the sunlight or in the dark. It has a touchscreen so it's easy to turn the pages, and it's so small and lightweight I can carry it in my purse. I guess it depends on what all you want to do with it.

Blog Entries
    I use my iPad for downloading books. I use the kindle app on my IPad. Its very easy to use.

I have the full size iPad Air 2, it's got WiFi and Cellular. It's big and it's heavy, too heavy for casual reading, great substitute for a laptop. We have an RV and travel monthly, so we have Nook e-readers, the basic glow light one. They are small and lightweight. They can be hooked up to the Internet but you can only shop at Barnes and Noble. BN has a free book every Friday. You need a computer to download from the library into Adobe Digital Editions then hook up your Nook to it and transfer it to the Nook. Adobe and Overdrive are what most libraries use. We've used nooks since they first came out, I did purchase a Nook color tablet, the small version for my granddaughter, it has WiFi capability and she loves it. I noticed my local mall has an Amazon Kisok, they had a lot of tablets and Kindle readers. My advise to to shop around, hold them, ask for a demo, don't be afraid to ask questions. Figure out what you want to do, just read, or use Internet, have it read to you? Take your time and even go back and look several times.

I love live my nookie bookie. Never leave home without. I have the no frills glo light one.

Quote Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
    I use my iPad for downloading books. I use the kindle app on my IPad. Its very easy to use.
    Same here. I use the Kindle app for books from Amazon, I use the Nook app for books from Barnes & Noble, I use the app that comes with the system for everything else, and I still can play games, surf the internet, listen to music, get my email, take pictures…

I love my iPad!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Years ago I recieved a Nook for Christmas and I absolutely loved it! I have a small fortune in books I purchased and I also utilized the Overdrive borrowing from our public library. My Nook does not have 'backlighting' so I can not read in dark (like outside at night or in bed). I now, also, have and iPhone, iPad, and iPad mini. Love them all but love the iPad mini the best! I have downloaded both the Nook and Kindle apps on it and can read on it as much as I want. Love the fact that I can easily switch from reading to surfing the internet, checking email, and even checking my phone text messages. It is comfortable to hold and easy to 'turn' the pages of whatever book I am reading. With my iPad, I use the wifi in our home to download my books. The only thing I read on my cell phone is my Bible on the evenings I am at Bible study. I think both Nook and Kindle are comparable so you would be fine with either app. I don't believe I would advise purchasing a separate Kindle or Nook. Just download an app.

My best friend has a Kindle Fire and she is trying to get me to buy one but I want a larger screen.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Ginaky View Post
    Pixel of Ink is another source of free/discounted books.
    This appears to be Kindle only. Am I wrong?
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    Nook app has a lot of free books so you can build a library.The new Nook is a tablet and the Kindle app and your library app can be added.I do recommend that an Excel data base be set up to keep track of your newlibrary. I have a library of over 2900 eBooks acquired over the last 10 yearsor so. If I left you with questions please feel free to PM me.

Ken

If you just want something to store and read your books I would suggest the Kindle reader or the Kindle keyboard. I have the keyboard and love it. I also have an android tablet and use it sometimes to read, but find that the glare can be a problem. Once you do buy a reader, you will love it. There are lots of free books available. Good luck.
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

Blog Entries
    When shopping, look for a reader that is not back-lit as these are harder on your eyes than an e-reader. E-readers now have built-in lights which can make reading in the dark fairly comfortable if that's where you like to read. Before buying, check with your public library about on-line books as most now have free book downloads that you can borrow like at a regular library. You will have more options through your library, but not all readers are compatible. And finally, watch the weight. Most readers are now very light, but if you want a case it will add weight. The lighter the better. I don't keep mine in a case, but do slip it into a zip-pocket case when I take it away from home. Enjoy!
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

I have a kindle fire, using it this minute. If I had it to do over, I would buy an ipad. I like to scan and keep patterns as PDFs and the kindle system is not great for that. It also does not make it easy to download documents (patterns and such) from websites.
    For reading the kindle fire with the swipe to move pagez is great. I also love to watch movies on it, but both of these are on ipad as well. I got this cheap though when it first came out, something that will not happen with an ipad.

Blog Entries
    Well I have a Kindle, Nextbook android and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and I can read off all 3. I prefer to get the books off Amazon on the Kindle . I've never tried to use the other 2 for reading . I may have to try that. The books I get on the Kindle are all free and I love free. hehehhee
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Blog Entries
    I have the iPad don't like it as it has no holes for USB attachments or similiar. I like to download pictures onto USB to free up space on computer.
    As far as downloads concerned the iPad and kindle do both jobs fine. The kindle does stay charged longer.
    it depends what you want and how you will use it
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I have the kindle program on my Ipad. I love it. Now DH's mom doesn't like to sit and read it, she tells me its too hard to read, she is in her late 70's and really never had a use for a computer(reading glasses for the computer are the best or put a screen on the computer when reading (I think those are still available now adays).
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I have a Kindle Fire tablet and Kindle Paperwhite. I read books exclusively on my Paperwhite, since it is far easier on my eyes, has a back light and the print is fantastic. It fits in my jeans pocket, purse, and pretty much anything else I carry. Since I read a lot, it is the best thing for me as I am trying to do my part to save the trees and lessen my environmental footprint. Visit an electronics store and have fun learning!

I think a Kindle paperwhite would be best if he's using it just to read. The battery lasts "forever" before needing to charge, and you can see it in any light. The newer version of it has a built in light for reading in the dark too!

If he wants to use it for other options too and get a regular tablet they all use the free Kindle app to download books.
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    I use book bub too.Have going many good free reads.
    Linda
    Happy Camper
    Retired and Loving It

Blog Entries
    Just purchased a paper white e reader. Supposed to be easy to read out in the sunlight. I will find my keyboard to hubby to use and I kindle on my tablet.
    Linda
    Happy Camper
    Retired and Loving It

My DD is a librarian in a major city. She helped start their online book system and has taught librarians and hundreds patrons how to use many different devices. She's also owned Nook, iPad, Kindle, etc. Her favorite by far is her Kindle Paperwhite ereader. It needs to be charged once a month or less (she reads daily) and she can easily read in the sun on the beach plus it doesn't keep her DH awake or hurt her eyes. It's so inexpensive and easy to read and download book. I've given them to relatives in Korea, Italy, and New Zealand. Amazon has it's own free wifi that works all over the world.

Blog Entries
    I think a lot depends on whether you want to read text only, or whether you also want to be able to have the text read out loud to you. From the research I have done online, the Kindle paperwhite seems to provide the easiest on the eyes way to read text indoors and outdoors. However, I just downloaded the Kindle app on my iPad air and find that I can use Apple's VoiceOver option to have the iPad read a Kindle book to me. VoiceOver is one of the built in accessibility features of the iPad. The voice is synthesized so it is not the same as, say, listening to an audiobook from Audible, but also not bad.

Blog Entries
    BookBub is a great site to get books at no charge or for a minimum fee. That is how I keep my library stocked.

Blog Entries
    I have a simple Kindle Keyboard and get most books off Amazon easily. free ones to boot.

This is a really good question. The tablets have advanced and improved so much just in the last 3-4 years.
    I
    My father gave me a Simple Touch Nook which was a plain reader but so easy on the eyes. I learned to use BookBub, as well As Overdrive from the library. I now have the Nook HD and like it but the smaller Simple a Touch was easier to hold. You really need to try them and imagine yourself in bed reading or on a beach with bright sun. The Kindle works with BookBub and Overdrive as well. I read so much more now thanks to these e- readers. They are great for eye problems too as you can enlarge the Font size or change the Font. Have fun with your search. The e readers have "e-ink" which makes the print easy on the eyes.
    Creativity is the essence of the soul
    Sandi

Go to bookbub.com or book pub.com any way you join it for free and every day you will get recommended books. As a Christain I'm picky about what I read and there are so many to choose from. I so many downloaded to my kindle fire. You will see how many are free. You will be asked if you want to download from Amazon or barns an noble. My Pastors wife recommended this sight.Cant thank her enough. I believe they ask what you like reading.Enjoy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast