Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Kitty Cat Predicaments and other Pet Disasters! >

Kitty Cat Predicaments and other Pet Disasters!

Kitty Cat Predicaments and other Pet Disasters!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:14 PM

The little girl in my avatar made a memorable Christmas memory when she ate a glass bulb ornament!! I was getting ready for work and heard a distinct "crunch" and saw a her with glass shards in front of her. I don't think she intended to eat it, but it shattered in her mouth when she grabbed it like a tennis ball. This dog is truly obsessed with anything in the form of a ball. I have no round ornaments on my trees anymore. Even if they are not glass, she will break a limb or two trying to get to anything round. (That was the Christmas following the eating of the bulb). She was fine, by the way! An emergency xray and a few anxious days, but we survived.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mollymct
The little girl in my avatar made a memorable Christmas memory when she ate a glass bulb ornament!! I was getting ready for work and heard a distinct "crunch" and saw a her with glass shards in front of her. I don't think she intended to eat it, but it shattered in her mouth when she grabbed it like a tennis ball. This dog is truly obsessed with anything in the form of a ball. I have no round ornaments on my trees anymore. Even if they are not glass, she will break a limb or two trying to get to anything round. (That was the Christmas following the eating of the bulb). She was fine, by the way! An emergency xray and a few anxious days, but we survived.
I had a pug when my DH and I first met. Her name was Honey. I lived in a trailer at the time and one day she got out. I went one way around the trailer and Glen went the other both of us hollering Honey! Honey!. this man came along and heard Glen and said there she is - pointing at me!! LOL LOL
She looked alot like your little girl.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by mollymct
I had a pug when my DH and I first met. Her name was Honey. I lived in a trailer at the time and one day she got out. I went one way around the trailer and Glen went the other both of us hollering Honey! Honey!. this man came along and heard Glen and said there she is - pointing at me!! LOL LOL
She looked alot like your little girl.
Lol! That's Molly in the photo. I love little Pug and Pekingese faces. They are my favorite.

I had birds, too. One sweet, one viscious Cockatiel and a couple of pairs of parakeets. One of the parakeets I remember was a "flight risk" and the only way to catch her was to turn out the lights and feel for her. She was usually on the ceiling fan or on a curtain rod, so dragging a ladder or chair and much banging of the knees was involved to track her in the dark!!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

One of my tramatic events was actually my own fault. We had a cockatiel that had learned to open her own cage where the feed dish was. I had forgotten she had learned this trick.

I set up a pet show in our little town and had it in the park. To take this bird to the show I had taken her out of her bigger cage and put her in the smaller one(the one with the feed door she had learned to open). I completely forgot about that door. While at the show she -you guessed it- opened the door and was gone. I was heart broken.

About 2 weeks later I read an unusual message in the local free paper. A neighborhood had rescued a cockatiel from the local blackbirds by all the neighbors getting together with a big sheet and they caught the cockatiel.
I called and described our cockatiel and it was her!! I got her back due to the compassion of those neighbors who didn't like the way she was being ganged up on by the blackbirds. It was a once in a lifetime happening!! She would have been killed if those kind people hadn't taken pity on her. Then I really felt guilty for forgetting she could open that little door!! But really relieved she was alright!!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:18 PM

The night before Moira (the BC/Lab) was to be spayed, we were on a late walk, so she was on her no food after 8:00. She found a dead snake and had it in her mouth. I am horrified by snakes, so here I am trying to get it out of her mouth without touching it or looking at it. I finally stepped on the snake and pulled Moira upward. Yeesh! The doctor laughed. He said it would have been a first canceling a surgery because of an eaten snake. Moira also ate a thyroid pill I dropped. Another time, I gave her five macadamia nuts when I was baking. She woke up paralysed. I have since memorized the list of things dogs can't have. She does now she have a strong 'leave it.'

They are a nice pair of dogs.

Kittycats? How about the time my children's 18 pound tomcat brought a live bird in the house. GeorgiePorgie pulled down several sets of drapes and the shelves with all my little sewing notions on them before we caught him and the bird. His mother used to bring me dead snakes for approval. I had to look at the ceiling while praising her so she'd take it away.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:18 PM

irishrose, you may be in trouble there. Lily has that "I'm plotting another escapade right now and it's a doozie!" look. Lovely dogs!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:39 PM

Growing up we always had pets in the house. We had a cat that loved to hide in my dad's very tall lineman's work boots. Unfortunately, the cat also left little "surprises" in the boots, such as dead (and live) mice...and cat poop! Of course Dad would only find this out after he stuck his feet in them! We all thought it was hilarious...except for Dad!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:48 PM

Here's another one...Christmas 1991 was difficult for our family. My dad had passed a few months earlier and my grandmother was in the hospital after a hip replacement. In an attempt to make the holidays special we bought a live tree and new glass ornaments. We were frequently gone to see my grandmother, and mom and I came home that night to find all the ornaments shattered and the tree leaning over. The tree was leaning because it contained three resting cats! What could we do but laugh?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:00 PM

I had a beautiful silver kitty when I was first married to my 1st husband. I bought her a collar so she wouldn't get lost and 1 time she got the collar hung up in her mouth. I ran to get her but by the time I got there she had used her front foot to try to get it out and had her claw stuck in her upper lip as well as her mouth caught in the collar. I was ripped to shreds by the time I got her claw out of her upper lip and the collar out of her mouth.

We lived in a mobilehome park and it had a stream nearby. She loved to go "hunting" everytime it rained. We didn't have a dryer in the mobilehome but had the ductwork and she used that for her kitty door to go in and out at will. Every time it rained she'd bring me a gift. Her 1st one almost gave me a heart attack. It was early morning and she was playing with something beside by bed. I put my hand out to stop her and touched something...it was a crawdad that she had caught. I didn't know what it was and called my dad in a panic just sure she had caught a scorpion. Another time she brought me a frog. I quickly learned to shut the door to the room the dryer vent was in whenever there was rain in the forcast!

Diannia
Old 12-13-2010, 04:02 PM

I am really enjoying all the stories! I have quite a few my self.
Our last dog, Jake, was so funny to watch sometimes. He loved to harass the squirrels we have in abundance.He would run and leap through the woods as he followed squirrels through the trees. He could jump so high and then seem to glide! He also loved water coming from a hose. He would jump and chase the water. Because of this, he was easy to give a bath. He was a very funny dog.
:lol: :lol: