Knee Update

Old 03-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by DawnMarie
Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Great news!!!

Mine, however, is torn and I will have to have surgery, after tax season!! Second time on same knee in less than a year, yuck!!!!
Good luck! I hope it goes well for you!
Thanks!!! Surgery is scheduled for the 26th. My first grandbaby is due May 13. I am praying that this baby does not come early. My daughter really wants me to come and stay with them for the first week to help her out and I would really like to be able to walk!!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 AM

Good news. Positive outlook.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:46 PM

good luck amd the therapy should help.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:54 PM

DawnMarie, My knee was really swollen after my injury and got worse after surgery. I did PT and ice packs, etc. to get very little results. Until a nurse told me to fill little dixie cups with water half full and freeze, ever 1 1/2 hours put your leg flat on the couch with a towel underneath and gently rub the ice cube from dixie cup all around the knee (front, back and sides). It is super cold but worked 100% better than ice packs. Doing this religiously for 4 weeks helped much better than PT. But for you doing this with the PT should put you on your way to an extra speedy recovery.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mmonohon
DawnMarie, My knee was really swollen after my injury and got worse after surgery. I did PT and ice packs, etc. to get very little results. Until a nurse told me to fill little dixie cups with water half full and freeze, ever 1 1/2 hours put your leg flat on the couch with a towel underneath and gently rub the ice cube from dixie cup all around the knee (front, back and sides). It is super cold but worked 100% better than ice packs. Doing this religiously for 4 weeks helped much better than PT. But for you doing this with the PT should put you on your way to an extra speedy recovery.
I've only been icing it once a day...maybe I should be doing that more. I'll have to ask at my next appointment.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

DawnMarie, you really should ice it more than once a day. I would say at least 3 times. It will help the healing process.
(I'm an RN)
Old 03-11-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
DawnMarie, you really should ice it more than once a day. I would say at least 3 times. It will help the healing process.
(I'm an RN)
Thanks, Sue!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:10 PM

Yep. Got my MRI bill today. I didn't realize I'd be dishing out $2,200 for them to tell me that they didn't see anything in the MRI.
Now, my physical therapist thinks that it missed a problem with my MCL. Blah! When will this knee be fixed?!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Yikes!! Those babies are expensive!!! I've had quite a few done recently (5 in last 3 years) but my insurance pays for them. Of course it has to get approved ahead of time etc....

Hope you can get it figured out and feeling better.
My DD#1 tore her ACL last July. It has been a long haul. She had surgery in October. Doc said it will take 9 - 12 mos before she has it all the way back again.