Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Which knitting needles should I buy for making American Girl doll clothes?

Blog Entries

Which knitting needles should I buy for making American Girl doll clothes?

I haven't knitted in years, but I thought I'd try my hand at making clothes for an AG doll. My head is spinning from the variety of needles out there! Anyone use needles they particular like for knitting AG things? And what kind of yarn do you use?

All advice appreciated!

Depends on the thickness of your yarn, most yarn wrappers have recommended needle sizes for the optimum tension for the thickness of the yarn.

Power Poster
    I prefer metal needles over plastic for knitting. I haven't made knitted doll clothes but yarn on metal needles slides better.

Blog Entries
    when I was knitting a few yrs back, I loved the Quicksilver needles. they were like Teflon, great needles. recently I bought bamboo b/c I can't find the quicksilver ones. they were nice and light. See if you can find the Quicksilver, very nice in your hands. show us what you do.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

www.knitpicks.com has great needles for a good price. I have used them a lot and been very pleased with them. A friend who knits (and travels all over the country for workshops) likes them, too. But the sizes, as Notmorecraft said, depend on the size of the yarn you are using. I tend to use a baby weight yarn for the AG clothes and a size 2 or 3 needle.
    Regina in Richmond, KY

I had some metal needles & would drop stitches because they'd slide off. Tried the bamboo for a project & really liked them. The yarn slides easily but not too much & they don't "click" as much as metal. If possible, try a pair.

Blog Entries
    I'm not a really adventurous knitter - mostly scarves and afghans My absolute favorite needles are bamboo which are available in many sizes and circular at Michael's Crafts store. They usually have coupons for 40% off any regular price item.Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Bamboo needles, Sugar and Cream cotton thread and knitting dishrags are all I do, so not much help here. But the bamboo needles are really nice to use, tried metal ones, didn't like them.

Have you checked Ravelry.com? They have tons of patterns so they must have doll clothes patterns, and the needles will be stated. Most patterns are free. If you do a pattern search, and put in doll clothes patterns, you'll get the ones you have to pay for. If you type in free doll clothes patterns, you'll get those. There are many cute ones and of course all of the patterns tell the size needles and the yarn type you'll need.
    Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 04-16-2015 at 04:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    I keep going back to the Clover Bamboo. I have had lots of luck buying sets of them on eBay. I do also like the Knitpicks Nickel circular. I use the 9" straight needles and circular needles rather than longer straight ones (I find the added length annoying and awkward.).
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    Thanks to everyone for their comments! I never thought to check for knitting sets on eBay.

Based on what I have been reading here and elsewhere, I think I will opt for either a set of bamboo or the Knitpicks. I had thought about getting circular needles or double-pointed, but realized that there are plenty of patterns for straight needles so will start with those. Since these are doll clothes, I figure the shorter straight needles (10") should work fine.

Ravelry is wonderful for patterns! I have been saving patterns from there as PDFs to my computer so I can access them later. It has really sparked my interest in trying my hand at knit and crochet again. We are trying to get this big house ready to put on the market, so I need to keep my quilting stash contained and out-of-sight (and possibly in storage for awhile). Figured I could get by with a single large plastic tote if I took up making doll clothes for awhile. I think it will be a fun change of pace for me.

I personally go for the Bryspuns or the carbon fiber ones... I like when the warm up from using them, makes it easier on me. Additionally, I find the bamboo too sticky and the metal too slippery. So either the Bryspun or carbons are a happy medium.

http://www.paradisefibers.com/knitti...g-needles.html

http://www.yarn.com/webs-carbon-fiber-knitting-needles/

The carbons travel (plane/car rides) very, very, well and the bryspuns handle punishment like no bodies business (they are also arthritis certified). Raverly is a great resource and I tend to spend way to many hours on there instead of making things lol. Good luck with your search.

Prism have you heard of Knitting Paradise? It's a site a lot like this one specifically for knitters and crochet. I don't know what needles to recommend. I love my Knit Picks but they are not made in the same place any more and are now getting a lot of complaints posted about them.

knittingparadise.com
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    i use sizes 2 and 3. i usually find a yarn that is heavier than baby, lighter than sport. i'm very hands on in choosing my yarn. there are books out there for knitted clothes. i love hand made sweaters, but honestly, i'm not crazy about knitting.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.