Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Large Floor Pillow stuffing, ideas? >

Large Floor Pillow stuffing, ideas?

Large Floor Pillow stuffing, ideas?

Old 06-26-2014, 03:25 PM

Ikea has very good prices on pillow forms.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:05 AM

I read somewhere how a lady made dog beds/pillows and stuffed them with plastic shopping bags (like the Walmart ones). She said when they got a little mashed down she simply gave them a good shaking and they fluffed up again. Don't know if that would work for you, but I'm going to try it for my old weiner dog because she likes to get her bedding in a pile and then drape herself over it.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:36 AM

I have several beanbag chairs, which keep going flat. After a lot of Google reading, it seems the best replacement fill is shredded foam. That would probably work well for floor pillows, too.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:42 AM

How on Earth would you dry the dog beds stuffed with grocery bags? I wash my dogs' beds often and need them to dry. Inexpensive pillows from Big lots worked well for stuffing pillows at Christmas. Just undo the stitching and you've gained some fabric to make the inner pillow, too.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
How on Earth would you dry the dog beds stuffed with grocery bags? I wash my dogs' beds often and need them to dry. Inexpensive pillows from Big lots worked well for stuffing pillows at Christmas. Just undo the stitching and you've gained some fabric to make the inner pillow, too.
I have 'cheap pillows at Walmart' on my shopping list right now. I can pick up a twin size for $2, and just get new ones
Old 06-29-2014, 02:42 PM
yel

what ever i used on the inside i would make a cover for it ...then put a zipper on the outside cover then i could strip it down wash the outside and shove the inside back in when dry
Old 10-06-2021, 10:26 AM
Banned

Hello. Any ideas what to fill a large floor pillow with? I have some 1m square pieces of home dec fabric and wanted to make a large (possibly tufted?) floor pillow for when friends come over as we nearly always have more people than chairs and usually a few of us will sit cross legged on the floor around the coffee table which tends to give me, at least, a numb arse!

I want it to be fairly firm so that when sitting your bottom doesn't instantly sink through the filling and hit the floor. Maybe a solid piece of upholstery foam in the middle with beans surrounding it would work? Totally not sure!

Also yet to decide whether it'll just be a 1m square cushion (just a two piece) or whether I should make it have sides (which means more room for wedges of thick foam).
Old 10-06-2021, 12:18 PM

I didn't know they made bean bag chair filling. It's not the expensive. I'll have to remember that if I need large quantities of the "beans".
Old 10-06-2021, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by emmamark View Post
Hello. Any ideas what to fill a large floor pillow with? I have some 1m square pieces of home dec fabric and wanted to make a large (possibly tufted?) floor pillow for when friends come over as we nearly always have more people than chairs and usually a few of us will sit cross legged on the floor around the coffee table which tends to give me, at least, a numb arse!

I want it to be fairly firm so that when sitting your bottom doesn't instantly sink through the filling and hit the floor. Maybe a solid piece of upholstery foam in the middle with beans surrounding it would work? Totally not sure!

Also yet to decide whether it'll just be a 1m square cushion (just a two piece) or whether I should make it have sides (which means more room for wedges of thick foam).
Go back to the first post and read thru this thread. There are tons of ideas for what to use.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:07 AM
Banned

@cashs_mom yeah, I read it.