Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lattice Multiplication  anyone???? >

Lattice Multiplication anyone????

Lattice Multiplication anyone????

Old 11-04-2010, 04:00 PM

My 24 year old learned her multiplication tables in second grade. I thought it rather weird that they learned the nines first. When she was in fifth I volunteered at the school and realized a large number of the students did not learn them earlier and so in fifth grade they gave them a laminated sheet to work off of and forgot it. Guess I am just old fashioned. I don't remember anyone I went to school with that did not learn them by the end of third grad the old fashioned way.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the main reason to give the new technique a try is because the teacher is evidently using the technique in class and if you 'choose' to teach your gs some other way he will never catch-on and be able to understand what the teacher is talking about. you are setting him up to fail.
when my son was in algebra class years ago he had a teacher that was doing something i thought was ridiculous and took twice as long to get to the answer we figured out (my-way) he struggled through the whole year and even when he had the answer correct he was graded on writing out the whole problem and steps, since he did not follow the steps the teacher taught he was marked wrong on everything. teacher and i went round and round...i could not help him with his homework because i was causing him to fail math. sometimes it seems the correct end result is not as important as the steps you took to get there :wink:

Process is important and being able to articulate how one arrived to the conclusion is critical. I might solve a problem in 4 steps and someone else might do it in 3. Neither choice is incorrect if the final conclusion is the same. The student MUST show how they arrived at their answer. If they just write down some random number without showing process then it would be wrong. I'm assuming he showed his work. I learned a lot from my students. Many times they approached a problem in a direction I would never have considered. They weren't wrong just different.

I admire most teachers who are in the classroom. Many are gifted teachers but too many are sadly unprepared and underqualified. You may have been exposed to a teacher who only knew ONE way to solve the problem because they were not comfortable with the material themselves. This happens more than we'd like to admit.