Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Learned a hard lesson

Blog Entries

Learned a hard lesson

Let me start by saying that some of us didn't have someone who could teach us to cook. However, nice folks along the way sometimes share their recipes and tips. Like in the recipe section here. In addition, with that being said, a big thank you to two members at this site, S & f ( I don't know if they want to be identified) who have shared information as well as recipes. Today I prepared an Impossible Pie. Directions called for using a blender ........I don't have one and I thought a food processor would blend the ingredients ..........well I had such a mess liquid pie filling all over. Well I now know that a food processor leaks. So lesson learned. Waiting for the oven timer now than the pie has to cool..........I am sharing this because perhaps some else is in the same boat.......calla

Blog Entries
    I remember when I first got my food processor. I did not know I could only fill the bowl half full, or have the experience you did.

You will probably find that each and every boo boo you make has been done before and by some of us (looking in the mirror here) more than once.

I remember when microwaves first came out. A friend was babysitting for a family who had one. She decided to make a hard cooked egg. Yup it exploded. She cleaned it all up and did it all over again. After cleaning up the second egg, she got out a pot and cooked it on the stove.

We are so lucky to have sites like this and youtube where we can see videos of people doing the things we never learned at home or school.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post

We are so lucky to have sites like this and youtube where we can see videos of people doing the things we never learned at home or school.
    Or doing extremely stupid things

I remember a co-worker telling me she tried cooking lima beans in the microwave and they exploded all over. My worst recipe disaster was the time I tried making a potato chip/tuna casserole. It sure sounded good...of course I was pg at the time. My now ex and bro choked it down but it was terrible!
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Blog Entries
    which pie did you do. I did the coconut cream one and it came out fantastic. good luck
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I have no instinctive talent for cooking…I always tell people when they try to tell me a recipe, "You have to spell out everything!"

I poured cake batter into an angel food pan once…it leaked out the bottom. I should have realized that since the parts aren't sealed, it would leak, but I figured it works with the angel food batter…which isn't fluid liquid, duh. Sigh.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Blog Entries
    My biggie was when I used my first microwave. You can cook in plastic, right? Wrong!! Was trying to make divinity, boiled sugar syrup melted the bowl. What a mess that was!!

Don't feel badly. I am 63, never married and I still don't know how to cook well.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

That sounds like a mess - hope your pie is good! When I started cooking meal components, it was hard figuring out how to have everything turn out at the same time
    Lori

Blog Entries
    I did the same thing with my food processor. I thought it was defective until I figured out what I did.

Blog Entries
    My first blender had a twist and lock lid on it -and if I would have read the instructions I'd have known that before I spent 2 hours washing down the ceiling and cabinets. Cooking wise I only have problems with fudge and gravy --Fudge never gets solid and gravy is solid enough to be used for pot hole repairs. So I decided to take this as a sign that they must be bad for me. But I am blessed with a wonderful family -Dad makes me fudge and at big family gatherings they send me home with all the left over gravy. : )

Off the subject if you're looking for recipes, there is a blog called Deep South Dish. No affiliation. ALL her recipes work and are good with mostly common ingredients you already have. I hate going to the grocery store, LOL, too much time away from doing what I want to do, like quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Don't feel badly. I am 63, never married and I still don't know how to cook well.
    Not single but hubby does 99% of the cooking. LOL I can make brownies!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I remember when the microwave came out and they claimed you could bake in it too so I tried to make biscuits in it. They came out like hockey pucks. Of course my daughters were young at the time and each Sunday one of them got to decide what we'd have for breakfast. Leave it to "out of a babe's mouth", my youngest popped up and asked for hockey pucks and gravy. It became a joke for months after that. I never tried to bake in a microwave again. Still don't.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Calla, I'd wondered when you said "it leaked". Couldn't figure that one out but now I know. When still in high school, I started buying items for the kitchen for when I graduated and got my 1st apartment. Still have it the blender from 1968, works like a charm too.

Hope the pie came out okay for you...:-)
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    The pie was tasty I used coconut........sent two pieces home with a friend who was having a friend to her house.......however she ate them both. I am amazed.........and appreciate S for sharing her recipe. I'm a good and plenty girl so I don't want to mislead anyone......I have learned to cook some things, but not a large variety for sure. The food channel offers dishes too. My DH is a Missouri boy and I am sure he longs for southern dishes. However, he is a gentle soul and as long as it is prepared for him he isn't too picky. I've enjoyed reading the supportative comments.....and the mistakes of others. calla

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Dh thinks he's a better cook than I am. Then he pulled a trick he thought would work that I did a long time ago. If mashed potatoes get a little thinner than you want just save them for potato soup later and add some veggies. Do not add flour. You will have nothing but paste. He just about upchucked his potatoes. I have learned if that happens, just put the potatoes aside and nuke a couple potatoes and peel and slice them, they will cook faster. Then add to the thinner ones after mashing a bit first.

Blog Entries
    We grew up very poor so the only thing I knew how to cook were potatoes and beans. My first dinner I made for my husband had instant mashed potatoes (he bought them). I had never made them, or heard of them. I messed up them so badly. Now I get compliments from all over and my kids do too because I instilled cooking in them. I even get compliments on how well I taught them. It might take a while but if you want to learn, you can do it.
    Judy