Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
LED lighting bad for your health ? >

LED lighting bad for your health ?

LED lighting bad for your health ?

Old 04-14-2017, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Remember when we were to rid our homes of mercury products, such as thermometers and blood pressure monitors? So then they filled our homes with light bulbs with even more mercury than we had before. So goes government action!
Someone made big $$$$$$$
Old 04-14-2017, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Remember when we were to rid our homes of mercury products, such as thermometers and blood pressure monitors? So then they filled our homes with light bulbs with even more mercury than we had before. So goes government action!
Don't remember any government actions. Just no one made them
any more. Anyone?

speaking of LEDs I recently read that they aren't so bad. So as my
grandma used to say "go know".
Old 04-14-2017, 08:03 AM

When LED lights came out, they tended to stick to a certain blue-ish area of the light spectrum. Now they cover more of the light spectrum, so that is better for you.

Also, it is assumed that a person is not going to be in LED lighting 24/7 and is going to be exposed to natural light as well, so you are going to get your melatonin production from that.

I have read it is likely best to not be exposed to LED lighting for a couple of hours before bed, as this can suppress melatonin production, which you need to help you sleep.

I have extra LED light strips on my sewing machine, which are fantastic and I wouldn't want to do without.

Watson
Old 04-15-2017, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I have read it is likely best to not be exposed to LED lighting for a couple of hours before bed, as this can suppress melatonin production, which you need to help you sleep. Watson
Yes, but, but, but. I do most of my sewing between 8:00 and 12:00 midnight. That's when I have uninterrupted time and I feel like it. I don't do so well in the morning as it takes me a long time to get going. Just because I'm standing up and walking around doesn't mean I'm awake. LOL So no LED lights for me in my sewing room? ? ? ?
Old 04-15-2017, 03:42 PM

Okay, just to stir the pot, I have a BIL with MS. A few years back he started acting very sluggish and just could not seem to stay awake. He was deteriorating at a scary rate. Turns out it was the LED bulbs. They have since changed back to the incandescent and his improvement has been phenomenal!!
Old 04-20-2017, 12:42 PM

But people are not properly disposing of them thus the landfills will be full of mercury again. I have stocked up on regular bulbs since this craziness began. Since I'm old, hopefully they will last my lifetime. Absolutely cannot see with those curly cue bulbs, nothing but florescent lighting, it's horrible and changes the colors of everything in your home. When the rich people start having eye problems, you will see a change. And as usual, it's all about the money. MORE money, the bulbs, the doctors and on and on.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I found 75 and 100 watt halogen bulbs at Walmart, inexpensive and very bright. I changed out all the LED in the house lights to halogen. So far no one has noticed a difference in the amount of light. I left the LED in the closets and outside lights. I have enough to last for decades. LOL