Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Leftover Fleece

Lightbulb Leftover Fleece

In the past, I've made many fleece pajamas for others and there was always a sizable piece left over. I held onto it figuring it could be used for something useful. Today I donated 15 earflap hats and scarves to a church hosting homeless families. The patterns came from pinterest. I still have more fleece and think I'll make a few hats every so often and then have a bunch ready when needed. I thought there may be other fleece savers in the group.

Terrific use!
    For the same families, you could also cut blocks and sew together for a blanket.

I've used fleece as batting in small table toppers/runners and wall hangings.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Power Poster
    ​Well done!

Great idea!

I cut mine into strips for "blue moms" for my naked chicken. We call them blue moms b/c the first one we made was from blue feather dusters. Anyway a bunch of strips of fleece hanging from a metal grid so the babies can run up under the "momma chicken" when we raise them w/o a mom. I also make clothes for my naked chickens for the winter
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

OMG!! Kassundra that is hilarious and wonderful!! I would love to see a picture of your little chicks hiding/snuggling under their Blue Mom
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I'm at work now so no access to my pics, I'll post some tomorrow when I get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
    OMG!! Kassundra that is hilarious and wonderful!! I would love to see a picture of your little chicks hiding/snuggling under their Blue Mom

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    I cut mine into strips for "blue moms" for my naked chicken. We call them blue moms b/c the first one we made was from blue feather dusters. Anyway a bunch of strips of fleece hanging from a metal grid so the babies can run up under the "momma chicken" when we raise them w/o a mom. I also make clothes for my naked chickens for the winter
    At first I thought you said "naked children" and was shocked!

What a great idea for those little mother-less chicks! Looking forward to seeing your photos.

What a thoughtful and generous use of your fleece scraps. Last year, I started zig-zagging my fleece scraps together to make pillow sized pieces, then using them as batting to practice my fmq. When a piece is all quilted up, I set it aside. In a few months, when I have enough, I'm going to assemble them into pet beds, stuff them with the "fabric confetti" that I also started saving, and take them to the animal shelter.

I haven't actually constructed it yet so tell me what you think. I have cut squares and then used the rotary cutter that perforates about every 1/4". Am doing a crocheted blanket stitch around each one and then intend to put them together like the traditional crocheted granny square afghan. Do you think this will work?

I'd be interested in how QuiltE sewed hers together for a cover. Did you zigzag or make a seam and how was that finished? This other idea is taking a lot of time--certainly a work in progresssssssss.

A friend wanted to make herself a cape with some fleece I had. We cut it out and that's as far as she got. I refused to make it for her cause that wasn't teaching her how to sew. So I gave the pieces to my sister and she made pieces to go between her pots and pans to keep them from getting scratched. Leftovers will be put out in the kitties beds out in the garage. These are neighborhood cats that are left on their own by their owners. My sister keeps food and water, litter boxes and beds for them in the garage. She even got them a heated water bowl for winter as it does get mighty cold here in Iowa.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

This girl wanted to be a momma, so I made her a "maternity dress" this is strips of wool and fleece sewn to the sides of her outfit so she could keep the eggs warm. She decided not to be a mom after all shortly after I made the outfit.

Name:  amat.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  amat2.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  44.4 KB

This is what they look like w/o clothes

Name:  afm.jpeg
Views: 719
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  afm2.jpeg
Views: 720
Size:  58.2 KB

Here is a pic of a "blue mom"

Name:  IMG_0460.JPG
Views: 722
Size:  176.8 KB

Why are they naked? I raise chickens and have never seen naked ones. Love the red and white outfit.
    Mary

More interesting lives on the quilting board -- love it.

I have the scaleless gene in my flock, it is recessive and when a bird gets a double hit of it they are scaleless (no leg scales or spurs, no feather follicles, and less over all body fat) It is a naturally occuring gene, just very rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
    Why are they naked? I raise chickens and have never seen naked ones. Love the red and white outfit.

My DD has a bunch of cats, some live in the house; others are outside cats and go in the garage at night. She makest beds for them. She takes any fleece scraps, runs the rotary cutter over them to make small pieces and uses them to stuff the beds.

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    I haven't actually constructed it yet so tell me what you think. I have cut squares and then used the rotary cutter that perforates about every 1/4". Am doing a crocheted blanket stitch around each one and then intend to put them together like the traditional crocheted granny square afghan. Do you think this will work?

I'd be interested in how QuiltE sewed hers together for a cover. Did you zigzag or make a seam and how was that finished? This other idea is taking a lot of time--certainly a work in progresssssssss.
    Good idea to crochet them together. I would think that would work up pretty slick!

No, I have not made a cover with them ... what I did say was that I have used fleece as batting.

However, why couldn't you do it either ways you mentioned?
    A seam would give some "ribbing" kind of like the rag quilts that people make.
    One side ribbed, the other side seamed.
    You could then fringe the outside edges if you wanted.

Zig-Zagged? I think I would make sure there was a good overlap, and not just have them meet and join. The trick there would be to keep the overlap even as you went along, but it could be very effective too.

Good Luck!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

The chickens look like miniature dinosaurs!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

thank you Kassaundra
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Learned a lot from your post, Kassaundra. I had no clue chickens could be 'naked.' How clever of you to figure out a way to use leftover fabrics and help those 'naked' chicks. Smart!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Our crochet group cuts fleece approx 30x36", rounds the edges and puts the perforations around the entire piece and crochets rows around the blanket. We donate these to a baby boutique for new moms .... they place them over the carseats/car carriers since little ones cannot wear coats. Some of the edges are quite fancy and others not so much. And fleece washes and dries so quickly. We also make fleece hats - a 6 panel and a 4 panel donating to children and shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Learned a lot from your post, Kassaundra. I had no clue chickens could be 'naked.' How clever of you to figure out a way to use leftover fabrics and help those 'naked' chicks. Smart!
    I, too, know nothing about chickens. So, now, thanks to Kassaundra, I know a little bit.

I found a pattern to make fleece socks. So comfortable as bed socks as they don't bind around my ankles. I made some fleece pj bottoms and had enough fleece scraps to make matching socks.