Lets talk pillowcases

Old 09-28-2023, 03:50 AM

Smile Lets talk pillowcases

I have an excess ton of fabric that I can either try to sell off or do something else useful besides quilts. Years ago I made 56 pillow cases for the Million Pillow Case Challenge...they were faster than quilts. This morning while on Pinterest (my downfall) someone else posted several things about how to make pillowcases....I thought "why not do this again"?
Does anyone know of a lead to a charity that accepts them? Would love to have the information. Thanks to everyone on this site!
Old 09-28-2023, 04:23 AM

One suggestion is to donate these to your agency who deals with foster children. The pillowcases are so much more festive than putting the children's belongings in a garbage bag. There's a "message" in there. as the children are removed from their homes. Another suggestion--not fabric--but donate suitcases or duffel bags that we no longer need. Those agencies have use of them for the kids, especially the older ones.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:00 AM

agree with lindachipper - our local children's agencies love to receive pillowcases. Your local guild might also appreciate a donation of fabric to be used for charity work....or start your own small sewing circle dedicated to donation projects.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

To use up a lot of fabric fast I make the Fat Quarter Bags. They are so useful for foster kids or anyone. My family uses them a lot. Make one out of Kaffe, Tula, or Tilda and take to guild with your quilt in it! . Each bag holds much more then a pillowcase. I make solid color ones or boy theme fabrics for boys and the girls like most any print. Older boys like cameo or old jeans with rope handles. Now an old jeans bag will be almost indestructible. You don't have to use fat quarters. I sew fabric together until I have it big enough or use all one piece. The pattern is free: https://www.favequilts.com/Bags-Purs...rom-Martingale

I made 15 bags for my last retreat gifts. I would highly recommend a Clover Clip and Glide bodkin. It's worth it for making one bag.

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-28-2023 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:16 AM

a couple of links that take pillowcase donations -
https://diytodonate.com/12-non-profi...e-pillowcases/
https://caseforsmiles.org/eastern-iowa/
Old 09-28-2023, 09:22 AM

Cases for Smiles takes them to give to children in hospitals so they can have their own personal pillow case when they leave the hospital. They have a website. They used to be Ryan's Smiles years ago and then the name changed. I belong to a group that gives them each year.
Old 09-28-2023, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltangelady View Post
Cases for Smiles takes them to give to children in hospitals so they can have their own personal pillow case when they leave the hospital. They have a website. They used to be Ryan's Smiles years ago and then the name changed. I belong to a group that gives them each year.
Yes
Although they have many chapters, and some do still use Ryan's name.
Workbench posted a link to an Iowa chapter maybe near you Lindaschipper
this link is a Pennsylvania chapter
https://caseforsmiles.org/miles-of-p...e-smiles-2023/
there are many others throughout the states

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 09-28-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:26 PM

Try Operation Gratitude. The pillowcases on there you can make to donate to the troops. Can someone please post the link.

Old 09-28-2023, 03:55 PM

https://www.operationgratitude.com/v...ct-pillowcase/
Old 09-28-2023, 05:22 PM

A quilter was downsizing & made a new pillowcase for each nursing home resident. This nursing home serves low income patients & they were thrilled to get them.