Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
life of Riley? ... is Riley a sea lion? >

life of Riley? ... is Riley a sea lion?

life of Riley? ... is Riley a sea lion?

Old 12-01-2013, 04:27 PM

Default life of Riley? ... is Riley a sea lion?

This is a picture of a heavily overloaded boat dock. YIKES....but many were awake and some out swimming. Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails sea-lions-dec2013.jpg  
Old 12-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Default CRAB Boats

here are just a couple of the crab boats...once they go out, if the season is good, they'll be bringing in crabs by the thousands.
Attached Thumbnails harbor3.jpg  
Old 12-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

I've seen this b4. isn't it amazing how they crowd there.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:59 PM

Seeing those boats brings back memories of a job I had when I was 16. After the birth of my son I went to work in a squid packing plant in Moss Landing Ca. about 8 miles from where I lived. I was determined not to go on any welfare programs after he was born. So I took this job making 10 bucks an hour plus ins. And seeing those sea lions reminds of the pier on Monterrey Bay they hung out there quite often. My Dad took us to the pier at least once a month to buy fresh seafood for the fisherman's stew he made every 1st Sunday of the month. He sliced, diced, scrubbed and deboned all the ingredients early Sunday Morning (while watching Jimmy Swaggert..lol). And simmered the tomato/fish stock base for hours. And he taught us how to make fresh homemade french bread to go with our stew. Only place I have found that makes it like my Dad is a place called MacGrath's.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

That is really cool!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

First time I have seen it. Amazing.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:28 AM

That picture brings back fond memories. My husband and I were traveling from Seattle to Oregon to visit his daughter and we spend the night in a beautiful bed and breakfast in Astoria Wash. I went for an early morning run and ran out onto the docks because they were so huge and I thought it would be a memorial first time run experience. I'm running along and I look over at one of the finger docks and it looked just like that picture! Apparently those guys come up and sleep there in the early morning and then catch the sun before they take off swimming and feeding during the day. Being the animal love I am I was so fascinated I stopped running and walked out on the finger dock. I got to within about 10 feet of the pile when a couple of them looked up to see who was disturbing their rest. They were so adorable and as usual I had no fear. I start talking to one who were awake - like they knew what I was saying! Suddenly, one huge one just rolled over into the water. I'm so fascinated that I just stand they watching when all of a sudden he silently pops up in the water right at my side and he just stares at me. Somehow I got some brains and thought I bet he is going to knock my off the dock into the water.....so I slowly start backing up, keeping my eyes on him, like I could get away from him! I backed off the finger dock and kept backing up, not taking my eyes off him for about 50 feet and then turned and ran. He was so still, the water didn't even ripple but he never took his eyes off me. As I am running off the docks I then see signs everywhere "Danger, sea lions are dangerous wild animals". I couldn't wait to get back and tell my husband and he drove down to the docks and looked from the car. The woman who owned the bed and breakfast told me I was very lucky, the big guy must have liked me because they have knocked people off the dock and tried to drown them. I think of it as a very fond, yet stupid memory.

Later in the day we went back down to the docks, we talked to a boat crew that was loading up for a 3 month excursion, they go from there to Alaska to fish. They showed us the boat and where they store the fish, it was amazing. Since then, when hubby has watched the fishing reality shows I think of those very, very young me who were packing up that boat to fight the sea.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:39 AM

Pier 39 in San Francisco?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

It's no wonder seafood is expensive. When so many put their lives on the line for good seafood on our plates. Only once in my life have I ever had good seafood. It was fresh and they knew how to prepare it. I was vacationing on the east coast. Down here most of the intestinal tract is still in and cooked to a rubbery consistency. If you want crab it is so highly seasoned you can't taste the crab. Lobster is also rubbery! Ugh!!
Originally Posted by Retired Fire Chief View Post
That picture brings back fond memories. My husband and I were traveling from Seattle to Oregon to visit his daughter and we spend the night in a beautiful bed and breakfast in Astoria Wash. I went for an early morning run and ran out onto the docks because they were so huge and I thought it would be a memorial first time run experience. I'm running along and I look over at one of the finger docks and it looked just like that picture! Apparently those guys come up and sleep there in the early morning and then catch the sun before they take off swimming and feeding during the day. Being the animal love I am I was so fascinated I stopped running and walked out on the finger dock. I got to within about 10 feet of the pile when a couple of them looked up to see who was disturbing their rest. They were so adorable and as usual I had no fear. I start talking to one who were awake - like they knew what I was saying! Suddenly, one huge one just rolled over into the water. I'm so fascinated that I just stand they watching when all of a sudden he silently pops up in the water right at my side and he just stares at me. Somehow I got some brains and thought I bet he is going to knock my off the dock into the water.....so I slowly start backing up, keeping my eyes on him, like I could get away from him! I backed off the finger dock and kept backing up, not taking my eyes off him for about 50 feet and then turned and ran. He was so still, the water didn't even ripple but he never took his eyes off me. As I am running off the docks I then see signs everywhere "Danger, sea lions are dangerous wild animals". I couldn't wait to get back and tell my husband and he drove down to the docks and looked from the car. The woman who owned the bed and breakfast told me I was very lucky, the big guy must have liked me because they have knocked people off the dock and tried to drown them. I think of it as a very fond, yet stupid memory.

Later in the day we went back down to the docks, we talked to a boat crew that was loading up for a 3 month excursion, they go from there to Alaska to fish. They showed us the boat and where they store the fish, it was amazing. Since then, when hubby has watched the fishing reality shows I think of those very, very young me who were packing up that boat to fight the sea.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:19 AM

I live in Oregon and DH and I drive down to Brookings area to purchase crabs. I usually purchase one for each of us and then an extra two (because I like crab!) for extra. I ask that they be LIVE. We then go home and I steam them up with Bay seasoning or Zatarains. Do not need to eat anything else. Just crab. Little butter is nice, but not necessary. Yum, yum. Fresh seafood is the best food ever. I also buy fish and cook it as simply as possible so as to keep the flavor intact.