Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
lightening strike - dvd stuck in player - I'm back online >

lightening strike - dvd stuck in player - I'm back online

lightening strike - dvd stuck in player - I'm back online

Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by kathy View Post
when I saw your title I thought OMG, did I write that?! last month the same thing happened to me, I have a quilting video stuck in the TV that got blown up, with no power it won't give it up, my husband promises that he'll get it out if he has to bust up the TV, it's no good anyway. good luck with yours. we found the tree a few days ago that the lightning hit, it was 97 ft from my back door, tree died, when it hit I thought I was going to!
LOL. It's loud when that lightening hits, isn't it? Haven't gotten the dvd out yet. Like your dh, it will probably take a hammer to get it out. Looks like they could make those player/tv combo with some kind of a release button in case they do go out. Hope you get your quilting video back soon.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
A similar thing happened to me back in 1972 with lightning. I was in grad school and working nights at a local motel. The switchboard was right next to the front desk where I checked people in. When someone would come in the door I would go over to the front desk, take my headphones off, and lay them on the counter so I could talk to the person who just came in. One night there was a big storm, just as several people came in. The lightning struck a tree in back of the motel, and one of the people checking in told me they had seen fire jump out of the headphones I had just taken off and laid on the counter. Talk about the Lord's protection.
That would be very scary. Glad you didn't get hurt.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:47 AM

Sorry to hear your news but be thankful your house didn't go up along with the transformer as it did at our house a few years ago. The lightening hit the transformer and then travelled the electric line to the house and set it on fire.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by decky View Post
Our first home was hit by lightning 3 times, last time it blew our electric well out, burned out some of the slots for our extra fuse box. We asked what we could do to prevent getting struck again. We were told to tell God that we had moved!!!

Pat in MN
You sound like us. This is the 2nd time that pole and transformer has been hit. I've replaced several surge protectors that go to the computer and a couple of computer modems before I had sense enough to buy the surge protectors. Our yard seems to attract lightening. We were lucky just to lose the 2 TVs. We have our own well and it could just as easily have been the water pump or some of the bigger appliances. The cable company made some changes to the ground wires, etc so maybe it won't be so bad next time.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
Sorry to hear your news but be thankful your house didn't go up along with the transformer as it did at our house a few years ago. The lightening hit the transformer and then travelled the electric line to the house and set it on fire.
How horrible. I would hate to go through an ordeal like that. I think lightening is so pretty but it is very dangerous.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pink Dogwood View Post
Be sure to check with your home owners insurance about replacement of these items and they may be able to suggest someone to get that DVD out or even replace it. We had a TV and computer replaced by our insurance after an electrical storm.
Our deductible is too high on the homeowner's ins. I think I'll call a tv repairman and see if they can offer suggestions on getting out that dvd.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:53 AM

If the tv isn't working now that it got hit, anything you do to get the dvd out won't matter. If the tv is salvagable, then call the repairman because they generally know little tricks that we don't.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:19 AM

MY husband got his dvd out of the tv. He took the back off the tv and then the dvd unit. Dvd came out without too much trouble and the tv is now trash.