Lightning strike!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM

Last night, a little after 11:00, a thunderstorm began to develop. My hubby got out of bed to go upstairs to disconnect the computer, printer, and my sewing machines. Before he could get out of the room, a terrific bolt of lightning hit our house. It knocked our phone, our cable, our internet, and killed 3 televisions, one computer, and 2 printers. It tripped multiple breakers both upstairs and down. Luckily, my Bernina is on a surge protector. It was not hit. I wasn't as lucky on the downstairs computer, it fried the surge protector, the computer, monitor, modium, and router. I have wifi for my laptop for travel use, so I am putting it to use right now. Hubby will use it later to do disaster relief work on line. I was sure to run both sewing machines for a while this am. Made 6 blocks for one quilt and two more white Farmer's Wife blocks.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Thank goodness you or hubby were not hurt. Things can be replaced.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

I had that happen to me last summer. Got everything.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:26 AM

Wow! thats scary. Glad you were not hurt.

Originally Posted by collady
Last night, a little after 11:00, a thunderstorm began to develop. My hubby got out of bed to go upstairs to disconnect the computer, printer, and my sewing machines. Before he could get out of the room, a terrific bolt of lightning hit our house. It knocked our phone, our cable, our internet, and killed 3 televisions, one computer, and 2 printers. It tripped multiple breakers both upstairs and down. Luckily, my Bernina is on a surge protector. It was not hit. I wasn't as lucky on the downstairs computer, it fried the surge protector, the computer, monitor, modium, and router. I have wifi for my laptop for travel use, so I am putting it to use right now. Hubby will use it later to do disaster relief work on line. I was sure to run both sewing machines for a while this am. Made 6 blocks for one quilt and two more white Farmer's Wife blocks.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:26 AM

For this reason I disconnect my sewing machine and computer from "any" electric circuit and I do use the big serge protectors. I had a friend with a small serge protector still take out the modem on his computer. So for me "when I leave the room" it's unplug".
I had a State Electrician tell me that the small serge protectors(4-5 plugs in it) that us sewers/quilters us doesn't not carry enough juice for our machines. We need to be using the bigger ones that have the 8 or more outlets in them and include a big heavy cord that is attached. Just a piece of "educated" information for everyone.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 AM

wow, that's really scary. Glad everyone was okay.

Susan
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM

Holy moly! :shock: So glad your Bernina was on a surge protector! I hope there isn't any more damage than what you've already said, because that's enough!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:34 AM

Good time to invest a surge protectors!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 AM

Scary!!! Check your property insurance policy - I had a girlfriend have her computer and washing machine replaced by her insurance because of lightning hitting their house and frying the "boards".

Glad just "things" got hurt. They're replaceable!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 AM

how scary!